Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL EIGHT

People dismissing a Tarantino film based on a rumored casting of an oscar winner?

Same people who'll probably rush out to pay $40 to see Iron Man 7 twelve times in Imax. :lol

Django was hardly Quentin's Diary of the Dead.

People dismissing a Tarantino film based on a rumored casting of an oscar winner?

Same people who'll probably rush out to pay $40 to see Iron Man 7 twelve times in Imax. :lol

Oscars don’t mean a thing anymore. I still can’t believe Sandra Bullock has one for the Blind Side :slap

Quentin is certainly falling into his own hype. And Christoph Waltz was good in Inglorious, but he played his character from Django almost the same way. If he does it again for the 3rd time, then I will have to put him under my George Clooney list.
I think there are a lot better directors out there, with a lot more variation in how and what they film. I hope Quentin can go back to a more simple way of filming.

By the way I have not seen a Marvel movie in a theater since Thor 1 :wink1:

:lol :lol

QT hasn't made a movie I haven't thouroughly enjoyed. I'm seeing it.

You're insane!

:duff

We-all-go-a-little-mad-sometimes-biggerstaff-family-29906614-482-240.gif

I actually agree with you. Seems like he's become a parody of himself in much the same way Romero has. :(
I do think style and mood often takes priority over genuine dramatic development in his films, but I think that's probably a conscious decision, and really had roots going back to Dogs. It was a staple of the films of the '70s that are dominating influences.

Putting all that aside, comparing his perceived regression to Romero. . .I don't know of any filmmaker who went from such highs to such lows.

Last edited:

I will see it just for the fact that it is a QT film and his newest man crush christoph waltz will be in it.

Stupid agents :mad:

If your enthusiasm for a new Quentin Tarantino project was sent into overdrive when news leaked out last week that the Django Unchained writer-director was at work on a fresh Western script called The Hateful Eight, you’ll need to throttle back a little. How so? Another leak: Tarantino is now saying he’s shelving the project after the embryonic draft ended up spread across Hollywood.

“I’m very, very depressed,” Tarantino tells Deadline. “I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.” While it does seem a little bit toys-out-of-the-pram to talk about ditching a film in this manner, you can also see QT’s side of it, in that he wasn’t ready for the script to be generally available.

So what does he think happened? Sounds like something he’ll want to get The Wolf on to. “I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it,” Tarantino says. “That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern and Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood.

"I don’t know how these ********g agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got ten more where that came from.”

While he admits he knows people are always trying to ferret out what he’s working on – and that he’s pleased there is interest – he’s still unhappy that such a small group leaked out the script, which he admittedly handed out without watermarking it first. His next step, however, is apparently to contact publishers to discuss getting the script out in book form.

And those nursing disappointment can take heart in the fact that he can always go back to the idea. “I could totally change my mind, I own the ********g thing. But I can tell you, it’s not going to be the next thing I do. It’s my baby, and if the muse calls me later to do it, we’ll do it. I was thinking about the idea of maybe publishing it before I made it, but now that deal happens for sure, and I’m not doing it next.”

Shame...means it'll be a while until his next film gets off the ground then, especially if he wasn't going to shoot this until next year.

On the upside, hopefully he'll choose something completely different; I really want him to do a horror film.

I love Tarantino, but that seems a little overdramatic to me. I'm not saying that the agents aren't wrong, but, from my understanding, it's not like it leaked onto the Internet for everyone to read; probably just a few of Hollywood's elite.

I love Tarantino, but that seems a little overdramatic to me. I'm not saying that the agents aren't wrong, but, from my understanding, it's not like it leaked onto the Internet for everyone to read; probably just a few of Hollywood's elite.

Yup, agreed. Do your best and make sure it doesn’t get spread everywhere. Also this isn’t a superhero movie, where a large majority of fans are from the internet. A lot of people going to see his film probably wouldn’t even know it got leaked.

Glad he's doing this. Putting a little space between westerns is never a bad idea. Especially when he was using Waltz again.

Glad he's doing this. Putting a little space between westerns is never a bad idea. Especially when he was using Waltz again.

Good point, hope he switches it up a little then revisits this later.

So he's taking his ball and going home?

It does scream of that. I'd be ticked if I were him but this reminds more of a grade school action than anything. He's a strange duck to begin with so it shouldn't be too surprising.

I would be a little ticked if my script got out too you cant trust no one those days.

BREAKING: Quentin Tarantino is taking Gawker Media to court after the snarky website brazenly posted a link to The Hateful Eight, the first draft screenplay whose leak prompted Tarantino to say he would shelve the film. Tarantino has filed a formal legal complaint this morning in U.S. District Court, Central District Of California Western Division (read it here). The legal complaint charges Gawker with copyright infringement and contributory copyright infringement. Tarantino’s case will be led by hard-nosed litigator Martin Singer.

Here is the crux of the legal complaint obtained by Deadline: “Gawker Media has made a business of predatory journalism, violating people’s right to make a buck. This time they’ve gone too far. Rather than merely publishing a news story reporting that Plaintiff’s screenplay may have been circulating in Hollywood without his permission, Gawker Media crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire screenplay illegally. Their headline boasts, ‘Here is the leaked Quentin Tarantino Hateful Eight Script’ — here, not someplace else, but ‘here’ on the Gawker website. The article then contains multiple direct links for downloading the entire screenplay through a conveniently anonymous URL by simply clicking button-links on the Gawker page, and brazenly encourages Gawker visitors to read the screenplay illegally with an invitation to ‘enjoy’ it. There was nothing newsworthy or journalistic about Gawker Media facilitating and encouraging the public’s violation of Plaintiff’s copyright in the screenplay, and its conduct will not shield Gawker Media from liability for their unlawful activity.”

The complaint alleges that Gawker declined to take down the post, or the URL that encouraged readers to download Tarantino’s screenplay.

This development happened after Tarantino told Deadline Hollywood exclusively that he was so frustrated to learn that someone among a handful of people to whom he gave the first draft script, leaked it. He had planned to write another project, and direct the two movies back to back. Instead, he said he would publish his Hateful Eight script, an ensemble Western, and revisit its movie prospects several years down the road. He said he will make that other project next.

In the legal complaint filed by his attorney, Tarantino maintains that Gawker solicited its readers to provide a copy of the script. Shortly after, the post in question appeared with an invitation to its readers to help themselves to the screenplay. I’ve not heard of a lawsuit quite like this one, but in this day and age when digital theft of copyrighted intellectual property is rampant, it will be an interesting scrape to follow, particularly if this becomes a full blown lawsuit. I’ll have more, soon.

In 2012, Gawker was asked by Lena Dunham’s attorney to take down a post that published Dunham’s 66-page book proposal that sold to Random House for $3.5 million. The site did so “on the recommendation from Gawker’s legal department.”

https://www.deadline.com/2014/01/qu...readers-to-download-his-hateful-eight-script/

It's a shame, especially since he claimes he planned to publish the script anyway, but as long as he still comes back to it, I'm not terribly upset. I can understand with this bad luck fresh in his mind, how he'd want to put it off until he can have fun doing it.

Back