Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For starters I think Candie's reaction to their deception should have been harsher. Certainly not just give them their girl (even for the inflated price $12,000 is chump change to rescue your lady love especially when they spent all summer earning $7,000 or more per bounty) and ask for a handshake.

Once Candie realized they had the cash on their persons he should have given them *Eskimo Joe* since that was what the original deal was and refused them Bruunehilde. That could have kicked off an altercation which still leads to Schultz dying and Django captured. No NC-17 ***** grabbing crap or scrotum shots though, that alone ruined the movie for me.

Maybe Django and Eskimo Joe get carted off and then the rest plays out similarly to how it did in the movie, with Django and EJ being the new "Schultz and Django" and storming the castle Siegfried-style to rescue Bruunehilde instead of being forced to do so because of a botched handshake. I'm not saying that's the *best* resolution because really these things take weeks or months to hash out (and Tarantino certainly enjoyed more story tweaking time than the day or two I've thought about it) but that's just one way I feel the conclusion would have satisfied compared to the buildup that came before it.

Django helping the slaves in the wagon would be "paying it forward" for what Schultz did for him at the beginning and him taking EJ under his wing would have some semblance of making up for letting the other man be eaten by dogs.

I could dig it. That's actually pretty good, or, you know, Candie could've followed through with his "hammer" thing, and, thus, turned it into a true "revenge" flick. The "**** and *****" thing really didn't bother me. To be honest, I didn't even notice it until my second viewing, and even then, it was just barely. I certainly didn't let it ruin the film for me.

Same thing here... Sorry if this has been answered already (I only saw it for the first time recently), but did the female tracker (Zoe Bell) get shot by Django along with the other trackers? I don't remember seeing that (which is why I thought for an instant that she was Miss Laura in disguise-- for some unknown reason).

Yeah, Bell got shot with the rest of them.

No, they meant Hot Toys. They said Inglorious Basterd toys, not Django.

And the Django figures in question were made by NECA.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Check the machine, I think it's broken.

@#$!ING Loved this film. QT's best since Pulp.

Now even though I am a huge fan of westerns and spaghetti western I was not looking foward to seeing this film all that much. Mostly because After Pulp QT has put out so average films (though Jackie Brown has gotten better with repeat viewing)

I thought this was the first time since Pulp where the dialogue fit the film and did not feel like QT putting in Dialogue just so he he can here it himself. He had fallen in love with his own words. In Pulp and the film the dialogue flowed naturally and was part of the characters wich is when QT is at his best. Films like KB vol 1 and 2, IB and DP just sound like epople trying to sound like a QT movie. Just never worked. However Brad Pitt had some great speeches in IB.

As far as the use of the "N" word. I thought the word was used in a much more respectful way in this film then it is in half the rap music that is out there. I felt for these people and I thought QT did a good job of pointing out how people really thought these slaves were lss then human. It did a great job of showing how ignorant people were back then.

Had QT ignored the word, IMO, that would have been disrespectful. The only time I thought the word was used in a questionable way was when same Jackson said "******cules" As is was used just as a joke or a punchline. It seemed more of a modern off color joke then a Joke of the time and thus felt forced and unnatural.

But I am not Black and I don't know what it is like to here that word being tossed around like that.

I remember I felt more uncomfortable watching Pulp Fiction at the theaters while sitting next to a black man I did not know and everyone in the theater laughing at the D.N.S. speech. I don't think I would have felt that way watching this film as the word was used in a historical contenxt and not as a punchline (except for the above mentioned time)

However I would like to say that the most uncomfortable I ever was was watching Dawn of the Dead in a college theater back when I was 17 with my dad and the one fat Swat guy is talking about blowing away all the N*****S and Puerticans and a bunch of white guys started cheering. I again was sitting next to a black man and I just remember looking at him and I was feeling, bad, ashamed and angry. The guy never even batted an eye to it..Which was actually more sad when you think about it.

You have some valid points and I see where you are coming from, but there is no respectful way to use that word--it is what it is.

I honestly don't know why it's even a discussion. The movie took place in the slavery era. Furthermore, I don't think the word was overused. It felt completely natural to the dialogue.

Exactly, it feels like it fits right into the dialogue just as smoothly as the ****s in Lebowski or **********s in Deadwood. If I had a kid, I'd be more concerned about the sort of violence that's out there. The Walking Dead for example which I love, seems like it would have a wider accessibility to a mass audience, rather then the people who are going to a Tarantino movie and know exactly what to expect.

I also guess Katt Williams there never saw Blazing Saddles growing up.

When people react jarringly to foul language, to me it's hilarious, like watching someone jump back because of a word in real life I mean. Someone claiming to be a comedian and offended by any word is a real joke. And essentially saying he's mad because it's a white man using it "w/o permission", well we know who the real racist is.

I honestly don't know why it's even a discussion. The movie took place in the slavery era. Furthermore, I don't think the word was overused. It felt completely natural to the dialogue.

Because it's kind of annoying. Over use of any one word is annoying.

The "N" word? It wasn't overused. I only heard it about 5-7 times in the movie. Surprised it wasn't used more considering the plot and time period.

It was used far more in Pulp Fiction (which I watched yesterday) and I haven't read any complaints about that.

Not sure what people were expecting.

Back