Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ha! Kat Williams your hilarious. Degrading woman is all cool and slapping target employees is fine. Also if you were so damn smart he wouldn't strengthen the stereotype that all black men are thuggish ignorant fools. Then he gets angry when a movie says nigga in a movie about killing white people. Lol he's just to much.

Except that there was more to his character than that. He didn't want to kill a criminal in front of his son in order to earn money to buy his wife back. Yes Schultz convinced him of the prudence in taking the man's life but Django was a more sympathetic three dimensional character in the beginning and became one dimensional at the end. Made him less interesting to me. It would have been better if he had been Siegfried to his wife's Bruunhilde. But he wasn't. He was the attack dog of the real Siegfried (Schultz) who became "unchained" and just killed everyone for the sake of cheap splatter thrills. Okay so QT used the title of the movie quite literally. That was the cheap and easy way to wrap things up. Too bad.

How would you have preferred it been done? I'm not trying to be an ***, but I am curious. When you said "cheap and easy," it made me think that you might've had a different idea of how it would've/should've/could've ended.

Last two QT movies i can think of where i only enjoyed the first 2/3 of the movie were True Romance and Inglorious Basterds.

You didn't like the Mexican standoff at the end of True Romance? Or the hotel room scene with Gandolfini?

Actually, wait..i loved that scene between Gandolfini and Arquette and the elevator scene but, yea the Mexican standoff then future beach scene to end the movie felt a bit flat, i really liked Gary Oldman as Drexel though, wish he had a few more scenes.

Got a chance to see it yesterday. Wow. I have been waiting 10 years for Tarantino to make a spaghetti western and he did not disappoint! I was sucked in for the entire 2.5 hours. I definitely found it interesting that the flow of this film was in order of events. I think Jackie Brown was the only movie that followed this pattern.

Things I loved:
1. Jamie Foxx. He totally oozed badasness throughout. I thought he went from humble slave to badass bounty hunter a little too fast, but he DID have the entire winter to hone his skills.
2. Christoph Waltz. Nothing more to add than what has already been said. I just wish some more of his backstory came out.
3. Samuel L Jackson. What a role! I love his head shakes, how he wobbled when he walked, everything really.
4. KKK scene - histerical
5. Jamie Foxx at Big Daddy's plantation
6. The light tone (highlighted by the over the top bloodletting) except when a serious tone was necessary (Mandingo, dogs, hot box)
7. "The" shoot out
8. All the dialogue scenes between Waltz and Foxx
9. The "dimple" speech
10. The entire part from meeting DiCaprio the first time to them arriving at the house
11. When Waltz is first introduced.

Things I wasn't crazy about
1. While I liked DiCaprio, I didn't love that he didn't figure it out on his own. I think it would have been better if somewhere along the journey to his place, he figured out what was really going on.
2. Once he DID figure it out, I would have expected a bigger punishment or revenge.

Few things I noticed:
1. It looks like a lot ended up on the cutting room floor. When it was winter there was the scene where Foxx and Waltz stopped at an inn or bar. There was a short dialogue scene outside the bar, and then the scene was over. It felt like there was definitely something missing there, and with it missing, the entire scene was not necessary. Further, I am sure there is more on the cutting room floor about the female with the red scarf.
2. All this talk about the use of the word ******. Really?? The movie took place during the slavery era. What do you expect? A sugar coated fantasy world where they were treated with respect?? Spike Lee and Katt Williams are pathetic. Further, I have been reading that people thought the film was too light in tone and didn't show the brutality of slavery. I personally think this couldn't be further from the truth. The 3 scenes that needed to be serious were, and were insanely brutal as a result. I actually felt a little queezy during the Mandingo fight, the dog scene, and the hot box scene.
3. I must be really missing something. Was there something more to the line "say good he to Ms. Laura"? It was funny, but not as funny as people are saying.

Last edited:
i liked that they had the stunt girl from death proof. somehow i thought she was going to save django when he was about to be mutilated, instead we got another nice cameo

oooh, I didn't like that. I love Zoe Bell...but why didn't she have more to do? Unless it was cut. Eh.

it was odd to me that she looked like a GI Joe ninja which is why i thought there would be some sort of reveal later on.

For a brief moment when I first saw it, I thought that Zoe Bell's character was actually Miss Laura.

I loved the film, best way to start a New Year with just what I wanted a good laugh. Will buy this when Blu-Ray release...

Finally got the chance to watch this... I have to say, just like Pulp Fiction this movie has to be QT's more over-hyped one...
I enjoyed about 3/4 of it, but once they discover their plot, the face-off and the eventual ending were just a huge mess IMO... It's like QT didn't know exactly how to make the convoluted plot work so he convoluted it even more in a very unnecessary way.

Like most of the performances, Waltz specially... DiCaprio was way out of his element... and it shows...

It had it's moments but definitely not one of my favorite QT movies...
Kill Bill 1 & 2 and IB are still my favorite movies of his.

It was nice to see Franco Nero... I was expecting a throwback at the original Django him pulling a coffin, but alas, didn't happen.

Still, much better than a lot of movies out there...

How would you have preferred it been done? I'm not trying to be an ***, but I am curious. When you said "cheap and easy," it made me think that you might've had a different idea of how it would've/should've/could've ended.

For starters I think Candie's reaction to their deception should have been harsher. Certainly not just give them their girl (even for the inflated price $12,000 is chump change to rescue your lady love especially when they spent all summer earning $7,000 or more per bounty) and ask for a handshake.

Once Candie realized they had the cash on their persons he should have given them *Eskimo Joe* since that was what the original deal was and refused them Bruunehilde. That could have kicked off an altercation which still leads to Schultz dying and Django captured. No NC-17 ***** grabbing crap or scrotum shots though, that alone ruined the movie for me.

Maybe Django and Eskimo Joe get carted off and then the rest plays out similarly to how it did in the movie, with Django and EJ being the new "Schultz and Django" and storming the castle Siegfried-style to rescue Bruunehilde instead of being forced to do so because of a botched handshake. I'm not saying that's the *best* resolution because really these things take weeks or months to hash out (and Tarantino certainly enjoyed more story tweaking time than the day or two I've thought about it) but that's just one way I feel the conclusion would have satisfied compared to the buildup that came before it.

Django helping the slaves in the wagon would be "paying it forward" for what Schultz did for him at the beginning and him taking EJ under his wing would have some semblance of making up for letting the other man be eaten by dogs.

Well, then you shouldn't be calling eachother niggaz in almost your various forms of media then you lil *****,you get no special treatment F U!, i don't see too many white people going ape **** over Hiemdall being black in the Thor motion picture which is just laughable IMO and a slap in the face at the same time.

LOL at his Jesus **** talk.

But some white people did get upset about Hiemdall being black....that's the problem with a lot of us we are to preoccupied with race....hopefully in another hundred to two hundred years it won't be the issue it still is in 2013....I saw Django the other day and thought it was a blast. by far the best movie I have seen in a long time. As I watched it I couldn't help but think this is what going to the movies should be fun....and boy did I have fun watching this movie. sure it had it's sad moment, it had it "Oh WTF moments, it even made me cringe in horror at a few parts, and yell in awe of the action going on screen, but most of all it was pure fun to watch. As far as Spike Lee goes, I want him to make a movie as fun and as entertaining as Django and then, maybe I will listen to his gripes.

If QT had made a movie set in the 1860's during slavery and the N-word was not used, I would have felt he wasn't being true to the time period. This was a word use most often when referring to black people ( Even in the North where black's were free they were treated like second class citizens).... Was it right or okay? In my opinion...no. but it was what it was. I don't get all the hate I seem to read in many of the post, concerning Jamie Foxx....personally I love the brother and thought he was the best character in Django followed by Samuel L. (simply because he kept me laughing). I loved Schultz nearly as much as Django, yes he had killed many men, but the fact that even a killer like him, felt no man should die the way the slave had (being torn to bits by dog) endeared this character for me and I loved the chemistry between he and Django. I thought Leo was great in his role. I know some griped about the minutes after the big shoot out, but I don't care what movie you talk about, all movie in the opinion of someone can always be improved...but me? I loved this movie just the way it was....a perfect ten in my book.

Personally, I was offended that even though this movie was about slavery, that it actually had slaves in it, and showed the slaves being treated with disrespect from their slave owners. It was disrespectful and as a result I will not see this movie for a 2nd time.

Gotta run. Been a month since my last IQ test.

Last edited:
Personally, I was offended that even though this movie was about slavery, that it actually had slaves in it, and showed the slaves being treated with disrespect from their slave owners. It was disrespectful and as a result I will not see this movie for a 2nd time.

Gotta run. Been a month since my last IQ test.

I don't get it. I'm sure most slaves got no respect from their owners--they were property. I think those brutal parts of slavery shown were the most realistic part of the film and in that regard, very educational.

For a brief moment when I first saw it, I thought that Zoe Bell's character was actually Miss Laura.

Same thing here... Sorry if this has been answered already (I only saw it for the first time recently), but did the female tracker (Zoe Bell) get shot by Django along with the other trackers? I don't remember seeing that (which is why I thought for an instant that she was Miss Laura in disguise-- for some unknown reason).

I don't get it. I'm sure most slaves got no respect from their owners--they were property. I think those brutal parts of slavery shown were the most realistic part of the film and in that regard, very educational.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Back