Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kubrick was actually more concerned with the fallibility of human nature. He didn't really deconstruct cinema or comment on it.
I will give Tarantino credit in that his movies are most movie-like in that he can successfully work in a genre and create something entirely fresh(not new) within that genre.

If I could compare Tarantino to any filmmaker it would have to be a mix of Sergio Leone and Seijun Suzuki with a mix of Jack Hill thrown in.

Last edited:
I actually don't think he sets out to make "fun" films like Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer do. I think he's looking to critique film by creating a new narrative by deconstructing old ones. In doing so he makes something greater than even the original works. The referential stuff is there as part of that, but just referencing other films is NOT the be-all-and-end all of what he's doing. That's why I think the comparison to Kubrick is extremely apt - Kubrick was also about deconstructing genres, forcing us to look at them in new ways.

The only reason I put Tarantino in the same sentence with Michael Bay was to indicate the difference between the two. Bay is the type of director whose films I would go and "leave my brain at the door" and just try to enjoy the explosions and fireworks. Tarantino isn't like that. It sounds like you're agreeing with me. But I don't think I can feel right comparing Scorsese and Tarantino. Two different angles towards their craft imo.

Didn't The Boondocks cartoon have an episode about a slave that goes after the people that had his wife of something? he starts using guns and shooting? I don't really remember well but Django Unchained (at least from the trailer) reminds me of that episode about the guy that escapes and starts shooting everybody)

I think he's made great films and scripts. There are some fantastic shots in Django. Tarantino has a particular style. It's weird, but I think it's great. Then again, I'm sure it's not for everyone.

I was waiting for a weird animation somewhere in Django (you know like the "square" Uma Thurman makes in Pulp Fiction). I was getting disappointed, thinking it wouldn't be in there.

Sure enough, the "MISSISSIPPI" pans across the screen and I was like, "there we go".

Didn't The Boondocks cartoon have an episode about a slave that goes after the people that had his wife of something? he starts using guns and shooting? I don't really remember well but Django Unchained (at least from the trailer) reminds me of that episode about the guy that escapes and starts shooting everybody)

It's a concept that's been around for a long time.

[ame]https://youtu.be/zGBw8jS3sMw[/ame]

I loved this movie, by the way. Probably my favorite Tarantino film and way better than Inglorious Basterds for me. Easily in my top three of 2012. Great film to end the year with.

I loved this movie, by the way. Probably my favorite Tarantino film and way better than Inglorious Basterds for me. Easily in my top three of 2012. Great film to end the year with.

Agreed, just got back fromo seeing this, it was fantastic.

I loved the eyehole/hood scene

I'm not saying my opinion is any better than anyone else's. I'm just trying to voice my reasons of why I'm not that fond of him.
The only issue I have with what you wrote is that QT will not be considered an artist greater than PT Anderson. I don't see anything considered artistic in his movies. You're obviously going to have a different opinion on that. I think Tarantino is going to be considered in the vein of Don Siegel and Robert Aldrich, a very good pulp filmmaker. Anderson, at least PT, and Fincher's output will have a bit more lasting impact. I'm not saying that they're going to be Ingmar Bergman, but...

QT is QT because of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Lets face it, his works after those two aren't on any ones top 100 list while you'll find pulp fiction on quite a few. It's his writing and story structure that make him unique, his movies are very non-linear and they do have a stamp to the way they look. And lets face it, comparing him to film makers who have been working for 4+ decades isn't really fare. Comparing him to Fincher is a good one, both started around the same time but Fincher has made more movies but I'll argue that Pulp Fiction is better than any movie Fincher has made yet, except for The Social Network but again that can be argued.

Is QT's status diminishing? It might be but that's only to me because he's been on this kick of making homage type films, which to me are very different from where he started, and I personally prefer where he started from. Sergio Leoni is considered one of the greatest film makers ever and made almost entirely western films, which only a handful are considered GREAT films.

QT is QT because of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Lets face it, his works after those two aren't on any ones top 100 list while you'll find pulp fiction on quite a few.

I agree....most of his films after the two you mentioned and the first Kill Bill (this is just my opinion) haven't been anything worth writing home to mama about. I plan on going to see Django tomorrow, I was going today but when I saw the movie was almost three hours long I decided to wait until tomorrow and go see it at noon while most people are at work. I expect this to be one of his best if not the best. Personally I love westerns and hate they don't make very many anymore.

Saw this last night... exceptional. Easily topped my list of favorite of 2012. Everyone was great, but for me personally, SLJ stole the show once his character showed up. I thought he really overshadowed Leo once they got to Candieland.

I finally saw this film. I am a little underwhelmed and maybe I was expecting too much (I kept thinking I had seen this before), but I see where it’s coming from. It perfectly reflects Tarantino’s love for the Black films of the 70s and the plot is straight from one of those, but with a huge budget. Jamie was good as Django, but I still think Fred Williamson dispatched justice better with a six-shooter and dynamite. There were nice touches on the slave experience and the harsh treatment scenes made me cringe more than the use of the N word. Those collars and other restraints were historically correct and horrifying. I liked the stratified positions of the slaves at Candie Land, it was obviously good living to be a favored house slave (brandy in the study, anyone?). I agree the SLJ stole all the scenes he was in--he has got to be the greatest “Uncle Tom” in the history of cinema. Overall, it was a good afternoon to get away from it all and enjoy a former slave giving a little payback and getting the girl.

Tarantino's talent lies in his skill as a writer not as a filmmaker.

I would somewhat agree with this. He hasn't yet exhibited a unique visual style like Welles or Kubrick and his greater strength is in his writing.

I loved what Tony Scott did with True Romance although he completely changed QT's structure (which is now his signature as a screenwriter). Oliver Stone's take on NBK was also interesting. I'd love to see a QT script in the hands of a Scorsese or someone like that.

QT is QT because of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Lets face it, his works after those two aren't on any ones top 100 list while you'll find pulp fiction on quite a few. It's his writing and story structure that make him unique, his movies are very non-linear and they do have a stamp to the way they look. And lets face it, comparing him to film makers who have been working for 4+ decades isn't really fare. Comparing him to Fincher is a good one, both started around the same time but Fincher has made more movies but I'll argue that Pulp Fiction is better than any movie Fincher has made yet, except for The Social Network but again that can be argued.

Is QT's status diminishing? It might be but that's only to me because he's been on this kick of making homage type films, which to me are very different from where he started, and I personally prefer where he started from. Sergio Leoni is considered one of the greatest film makers ever and made almost entirely western films, which only a handful are considered GREAT films.

Se7en is AS good as Pulp Fiction if not better IMHO Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was pretty good too.

Thank you Solid. With Avatar and Transformers 2 being high on your list of awesome movies, I can understand your feelings towards Tarantino.

Finally seeing it Saturday! It's only been 10 years that I have been waiting for Tarantino to do a Spaghetti Western... :rock :rock

Last edited:
Thank you Solid. With Avatar and Transformers 2 being high on your list of awesome movies, I can understand your feelings towards Tarantino.

Finally seeing it Saturday! It's only been 10 years that I have been waiting for Tarantino to do a Spaghetti Western... :rock :rock

:rotfl

LoL is used too often on the net, but I actually did in this case.

Back