Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek TOS Kirk and Spock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

I hate "exclusives" anyway so I'm fine with buyin' from a retailer.
That's a bizarre statement. I could see that if you were speaking about a specific example. But in general, if you could buy the same figure, for the same price, but you got more / additional items with it, why wouldn't you want that? [emoji47]

more / additional items
Nah, it's like DLC in triple A video games.
Also, with figures it's only fine when the regular set is full of essential stuff but nowadays in most cases they're very poor.

...and we are waiting for some pre-order response:

17-640x480.jpg

Spock_(mirror).jpg

Not sure how everyone else feels, but I'd like to see Kirk and Spock in their various movie incarnations before we get any other crew ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure how everyone else feels, but I'd like to see Kirk and Spock in their various movie incarnations before we get any other crew ...

When I posted pictures of those in here, they got deleted, but it does show off Nanjin's earlier work.

Maybe it's from past bad experience. Ive seen a bunch of times on this forum about ppl who dont ship internationally, including myself. The ridiculous charge is clearly a deterrent to international buyers.

I'd be surprised if that's what they're doing it for as that would not be good business practice. If they don't want to sell abroad, then they should just refuse, not upset customers. Refusing to ship internationally is one thing, putting silly prices on it is another.

Last edited:

Wow, you're not kidding on shipping. Just did a dummy order on Mal and got $85USD or $120AUD shipping to Australia. Guess I'll be buying these local. Hope the exclusive items aren't very good.

Messing up shipping - as in they quote HUGE amounts and aren't prepared to sort it out and find other shipping companies like Sideshow = $30.

Like I said - By not being able to order direct from QMx, they're not allowing us to show our support, buy exclusives, or order the moment they are released like our American cousins can.

UK and EU retailers will hopefully preorder and secure quantities, but you'll still have to get in fast. Well, that's what happened with Mal anyway. He's here next week and I'm buying him. Albeit the standard version that I didn't want as much. I'm VERY dissapointed, but can't miss out on a figure I've been watching QMx for years to get.

I'm not sure if they just keep manufacturing the figures to meet demand (because Exclusive Mal has not sold out yet) or if they do limited runs. So, with Trek, we'll have to secure spots somehow and not take the risk. With QMx not catering for UK/EU customers, I'm not sure that will even be possible. Not 100% anyway. If they delete Facebook posts like here, and not explain, then they seem not to want to do anything about it/care.

Thank you very much. So it was your decision to not order with them at all. I misunderstood, I thought you had tried to order but somehow the shipping added to your order got messed up and that's why you missed out. My bad.

I get that some collectors prefer limited runs to make their figures more special, but I never understood why not everyone who wants one should be able to get one and why we all have to fight for first place in line (when the server breaks down) or, in case of missing out, buy for horrendous prices on ebay from those that make a business out of it. Wouldn't it be better if that money went to the producers directly?

So I wish luck to all and hope everyone in here gets what they want, be it with extras or without!

They really need to sort the shipping out if the expect any direct orders from international customers. But from others comments on here, it appears they couldn't care less about it.

I'm really looking forward to adding these to my collection and I hope QMx either reconsider shipping, or supply an EU/UK retailer with some exclusives for preorder. I'd definitely show my support for that. I'd even set up my own online outlet to help others, if that was what they wanted. Anything, really.

Last edited:

Personally, I'd like to see all seven of the original crew before they start delving into variants, or crew members from the other series. IMHO, while the special effects were obviously better, none of the spin-offs could compare to the original.

Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

Thank you very much. So it was your decision to not order with them at all. I misunderstood, I thought you had tried to order but somehow the shipping added to your order got messed up and that's why you missed out. My bad.

I get that some collectors prefer limited runs to make their figures more special, but I never understood why not everyone who wants one should be able to get one and why we all have to fight for first place in line (when the server breaks down) or, in case of missing out, buy for horrendous prices on ebay from those that make a business out of it. Wouldn't it be better if that money went to the producers directly?

So I wish luck to all and hope everyone in here gets what they want, be it with extras or without!

I agree with you 100%. I never understood the limited/exclusive mentality. What makes me want a figure is the character or the figure itself, not how many of it were released.

How many people have the same figure I have doesn't change my collection at all.

I remember when I still collected marvel legends and they released pictures of a Red Skull, and a lot of people on a group I was part of hated it. When they announced that it would be a "chase" figure, the same guys went crazy, cause they needed it.

It's like feeling special for having a rare figure, which, IMO, is kind of sad in itself.

I agree with you 100%. I never understood the limited/exclusive mentality. What makes me want a figure is the character or the figure itself, not how many of it were released.

How many people have the same figure I have doesn't change my collection at all.

I remember when I still collected marvel legends and they released pictures of a Red Skull, and a lot of people on a group I was part of hated it. When they announced that it would be a "chase" figure, the same guys went crazy, cause they needed it.

It's like feeling special for having a rare figure, which, IMO, is kind of sad in itself.

It's a business model. That's the truth of it. A limited run generates excitement and word-of-mouth. People talk, they buy more.

I agree partly with you - firstly, I buy the figures I want, not just because they're limited. But, I also have some rare, expensive figures that I enjoy for both reasons - just like you would collecting art or autographs. The grails, as they're often called here.

QMx don't seem to be doing limited runs. That's not the case. The point is they sell exclusives that only US customers can currently buy because of shipping costs. That simple. They're not limited numbered runs, they've not run out of stock yet, they've not advertised them that way either, although I expect there's likely a finite amount of them.

I want the Trek figures. All that are made for now and as long as I can afford them. But, if the exclusives are the same price, then I would choose those above the standard ones. Why wouldn't I? Everyone likely would.

Lastly, I personally want to show support for the Star Trek franchise, QMx for making them, and all of Nanjin's hard work.

Personally, I'd like to see all seven of the original crew before they start delving into variants, or crew members from the other series. IMHO, while the special effects were obviously better, none of the spin-offs could compare to the original.

Agreed 100000000%

For me the exclusives are all about the extra accessories, I don't really care about edition sizes. Though I can understand people who are looking at it purely as an investment being concerned about that.

Hey folks - just want to address the issue of international shipping with you, as it's been just as big a source of frustration for us as it is for you.

First, you should know this is a problem we've been wrestling with for *years*. Even with our shipper discounts, right now our cost (on average) to ship a Mal figure to the UK is $85. It used to cost closer to $35. We saw the costs of shipping internationally skyrocket two years ago when fuel costs spiked. But of course since those fuel prices have dropped by more than half, we haven't seen even a penny less on shipping costs.

Because of the value of the figure and the limited nature of each run, we must ship with some sort of tracking number. This isn't because of scammers – it's been our experience that the vast majority of customers are honest folks who just want their product. It's because our shipping insurance (we have to carry our own for higher priced items) won't pay out on a lost item without tracking. I know some sites offer USPS International without tracking, but when we did a cost analysis the difference in price (once you've paid two different mail services to deliver the product), wasn't that significant. Also, we've noticed when you ship via governmental mail service products are more likely to become subject to customs holds, tariff surcharges and (believe it or not) seizures.

If you look at other companies that don't subsidize shipping, you'll see their international shipping costs are the same as ours. We could make shipping overseas cheaper by charging more for our figures - a number of companies in the business do that, which is why you might see their figures priced well over $200. But we felt that bumping up SRP to compensate for shipping rates penalizes domestic customers.

At this point we believe the best solution is to establish exclusive-authorized resellers in each key international market, who will be able to sell the Exclusive Editions with local shipping rates. We wanted to do that for the Mal figure, but the combination of Firefly not being a known franchise and that he was our first 1:6 scale piece made it very hard to get traction overseas.

Since Mal has become a hit, even in overseas markets (he sold out in HK in a matter of days), we're expecting placement of Kirk and Spock with overseas retailers to be much easier.

I want to personally apologize to our International customers. Please know we have not been ignoring the issue, nor do we think it's fair that shipping is costing what it is. Our operations team has been going nuts trying to find a viable alternative and that we've been beating up both FedEx and UPS for better rates constantly.

BTW, while we work to set up our exclusives resellers, something we've seen International customers do to save money is make a group purchase: Several folks in the same general area pool their purchases into a single shipment. Because all international shipments are now subject to dimensional weight charges, typically the more product in a single order, the lower the per unit shipping cost is. Obviously, depends on total number of units and where you're ordering from. But it might be worth exploring.

Thanks for taking notice and addressing it, Andy. I have spoken to a couple of retailers in the UK regarding this issue. If you would like any recommendations for reliable UK stockists for the exclusives, send me a DM, I'd be happy to help out. Especially if it means we'll get exclusives over here.

I said this a page back:

I'm really looking forward to adding these to my collection and I hope QMx either reconsider shipping, or supply an EU/UK retailer with some exclusives for preorder. I'd definitely show my support for that. I'd even set up my own online outlet to help others, if that was what they wanted. Anything, really.

Last edited:

QMxAndy,

Thank you for your attention and providing a thoughtful, reasoned response to this issue. It is much appreciated.

And since we have you here i know i speak for others when i ask if youd be willing to discuss some other issues surrounding these figures. Clearly the response has been overwhelmingly positive and we wait with great anticipation for the PO to become available.

Are there plans beyond thes traditional Kirk and Spock? McCoy to round out the trio? And variants planned (Mirror mirror, piece of the action)? Other crew members?

Any information is appreciated. High end trek figures were a glaring ommission in the market and long overdue.

QMxAndy,
Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge the issue. As a UK collector, I sincerely hope you are able to establish an approved reseller that would allow us overseas fans to purchase your great products without being penalized by high shipping costs, customs and other charges. All the best in your endeavours!

Just sent a message and hopefully QMx will reply, I am hoping I can sort out importing these into the UK and being a UK/EU distributor. Fingers crossed.

We're already discussing the exclusive resale possibilities with some of our existing International resellers, but if you guys have people you really like doing business with, please let us know! You can send your suggestions to [email protected]. We really appreciate the customer feedback!

(BTW, Aaron, we got your note and it's already been passed on to sales. You'll be hearing form us very soon!)

As for questions on plans – we learned the hard way not to discuss our product development plans until we're at least 100% through development, have studio approval and are at the factory. We hated that people had to wait so long for Mal because of unanticipated pot holes in the road.

Having said that, I will tell you QMx has aggressive plans for 1:6 scale products, not just in Trek, but some other awesome properties we feel have been under-served.

:wink1:

Back