Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Wrath of Khan Kirk and Spock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that would be my preference too. I understand the love for anything TWOK related, but I still prefer their older and more distinguished appearance in TUC. Kirk in particular probably looked the coolest he has since the second season of TOS.

Yeah that would be my preference too. I understand the love for anything TWOK related, but I still prefer their older and more distinguished appearance in TUC. Kirk in particular probably looked the coolest he has since the second season of TOS.

I concur with this.

I just purchased TOS Kirk and Spock this evening. TUC figures would be a perfect complement I think, serving as the perfect bookend. Although I do really like Kirk in his TWoK Admiral uniform.

Much prefer the uniforms from 2 to 6. However if QMX ever dipped into TMP, I'd only pick up Kirk in his admiral uniform, Spock in blue/grey outfit and McCoy in his medic tunic

This is my dilemma. I'd love a full set of crew in TMP uniforms because it was the movie that had the most diverse cast. It would fuel a ludicrous desire for custom crew. If Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are the only three we get then we're missing basic grey, basic beige, and basic white male and female uniforms. I need them all to complete my vision!

The uniforms from 2-6 and start of 7 are my favorite era of uniforms for Starfleet. However, TOS figures just seem more "classic" to me, per se if I could only have one. I'd love to have both though.

It's funny, I never could warm to the red and black uniforms...
They are just so completely different from anything we'd ever seen in Star Trek, they made absolutely no sense to me.
Star Trek uniforms were very simple and with clear color codes. They also eschewed any militaristic feel, which made sense, since these guys were first and foremost explorers and ambassadors, not soldiers. And then boom! you have those red and black uniforms reminiscent of some Soviet Army parade...

For me I've always enjoyed the TOS cast but found myself more attached to the films the series produced than to the actual series itself (I like it a lot too but I always watched the films more). I think that made me grow more fond of the red and black uniforms.

That’s pretty much how I feel about it, Mike86.

As far as switching from the t-shirts to the formal uniforms, that’s one of the things I loved that Nick Myers instituted. Yes, they were explorers, but they were still military, in the “Navy”, with ranks. I highly recommend listening to his director commentary for WOK. He almost understates the changes he made to the series, but to me they were significant and I feel ultimately inspired how TNG would develop (even though he wasn't involved with TNG).

You could also look at the formal uniforms in WOK that they were just going for a spin around the block so to speak, purely routine and for the sake of pageantry. They didn’t set out for a mission. They were just called to check on the Reliant since they were in the area.

I loved them at the time, but do feel the red uniforms look a bit outdated and overly-militaristic now, especially with all the rankings everywhere. And as far as movie uniforms go, far prefer the black and grey First Contact uniforms or the new Beyond uniforms, which both have that professional feel while still looking futuristic and Star Trekky.

As far as switching from the t-shirts to the formal uniforms, that’s one of the things I loved that Nick Myers instituted. Yes, they were explorers, but they were still military, in the “Navy”, with ranks. I highly recommend listening to his director commentary for WOK. He almost understates the changes he made to the series, but to me they were significant and I feel ultimately inspired how TNG would develop (even though he wasn't involved with TNG).

You could also look at the formal uniforms in WOK that they were just going for a spin around the block so to speak, purely routine and for the sake of pageantry. They didn’t set out for a mission. They were just called to check on the Reliant since they were in the area.

Agree with this. They were explorers indeed, but Starfleet was still militaristic in terms of structure and hierarchy.

Yeah there's always been elements of the military in Trek, but it still feels like it got a whole lot more literal and overt in TWOK and TUC (as awesome as those movies are), and gave Starfleet much more the look of a military organization than one based around peaceful exploration.

I thought the various TV shows struck a much better balance with those things.

Starfleet was officially an organization of exploration, but it was always in a state of military readiness due to the threats posed by the Klingons and the Romulans. One of its "ongoing missions" in the time of TOS and TWOK was to patrol the border and neutral zone with the aforementioned empires. Not something that a purely exploitative organization would do.

Yeah there's always been elements of the military in Trek, but it still feels like it got a whole lot more literal and overt in TWOK and TUC (as awesome as those movies are), and gave Starfleet much more the look of a military organization than one based around peaceful exploration.

I thought the various TV shows struck a much better balance with those things.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. The original films felt more militaristic than explorative, but I actually personally think the series that had the best balance of both was TNG.

Starfleet was officially an organization of exploration but it was always in a state of military readiness due to the threats posed by the Klingons and the Romulans. One of its "ongoing missions" in the time of TOS and TWOK was to patrol the border and neutral zone with the aforementioned empires. Not something that a purely exploitative organization would do.

Good points.

Actually, the colored T-shirts of TOS are inspired by the US Navy's color coordinated flight deck crew uniforms from aircraft carriers:
View attachment 299469
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_United_States_Navy_carrier_air_operations#Flight_deck_crew

The TOS uniform is even more military than you might have thought.

I'm fine with pretty much all the Trek uniforms except for those ugly black and grey things from the late 90's early 2000s era of Trek. Especially in the TNG movies. I hated that dull and dark athstetic that early 2000s films were almost required to have. It even bled over into the design of the Enterprise-E. What with everything on the ship painted gunmetal grey and random storage lockers on every surface. Why in the hell would anyone want to live in that dark dreary place? Compared to the warm and cozy feel of the Enterprise D it looked like a basement.

It's ironic. For me as Enterprise goes, my favorite exterior design was actually the E, followed by the B. However, my least favorite interior was the E.

It's ironic. For me as Enterprise goes, my favorite exterior design was actually the E, followed by the B. However, my least favorite interior was the E.

The Excelsior class (Enterprise B) is one of my favorite starship designs as well.

Excelsior_1.JPG

I really loved the Ent-E bridge, but have to agree the rest of the interior wasn't very memorable. I know people like to ridicule the Ent-D for looking like a hotel in space, but it at least had a really distinct look about it, unlike the generic metal interiors created for all the ships that followed.

I was at model convention in Kentucky once and in an elevator(Holding a model kit pattern i had been working on and had brought to the con), i bumped into and spent five minutes talking to John Eaves who designed the Ent-E. It was a geek out moment to me as he was my idol when it came to spaceship design. He was a great guy to talk to.
He was sooe enthusiastic about getting to design the E.

I really loved the Ent-E bridge, but have to agree the rest of the interior wasn't very memorable. I know people like to ridicule the Ent-D for looking like a hotel in space, but it at least had a really distinct look about it, unlike the generic metal interiors created for all the ships that followed.

Actually for me the "hotel in space" look was what I liked the most about it.

Its important to think of the Enterprise as less like a battleship and more like a mobile military base. Think about what goes on here. People live when they are not on duty. They pursue hobbies. Families; children have lives. People go to shows, plays, musical performances, ect. Kids go to school. And meanwhile they may be stuck on this ship for years at a time.

It would be important to take psychological health into account when designing a place where people might be confined for an extended period, so it was cool to me that the designers seemed to incorporate it into the look of the ship. It was like they knew how dull colors and dark lighting can contribute to depression, lethargy, distraction, and a ultimately a decline in performance (I think Battlestar Galactica even aknowledged this fact and worked it into the story). They realized the importance of keeping moods high and made the ship feel bright, friendly, and a bit cozy. Somewhere where people could call home and be happy.

Last edited:
Back