Quality Control (Lack Of)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel for the sculptors.
Id hate to see my awesome sculpt ruined by sloppy paint apps.
Those guys probably really sweat it out waiting to see how the productions pieces arrive.
.. but that really goes for all who put work into the development of each piece.

I feel for the sculptors.
Id hate to see my awesome sculpt ruined by sloppy paint apps.
Those guys probably really sweat it out waiting to see how the productions pieces arrive.
.. but that really goes for all who put work into the development of each piece.

I agree.

Even this latest Cro-Magnon Indy PF started with a fantastic sculpt. I'll be honest--the pictures made me think the whole thing was a piece of trash until I saw the unpainted sculpt. That was dead-on Harrison Ford (especially the one with the Photoshopped eyes). Sadly, the paint slaughtered it IMO.

Well I don't think anyone has suggested people need to be fired, not in this thread anyway, in fact the opposite, if what Irish is saying is true, why not hire a guy or two already working in the factory to also check out the more expensive pieces before they ship?

That is quite an assumption, and while we can speculate that is all this is; we DO know that many of items are checked -- we have heard/seen SS's QC for a number of years. This includes everything from dropping packages from certain heights to random package checks.

Certain older threads should be stickied for new collectors so that we don't keep rehashing the same ground again and again.

I have 3 Pfs:

Mystique
Indy
Lara Croft

Out of the 3 I am exchanging 2!

Indy had a large paint chip on his hat...

Lara had paint problems on her legs, elbows and face!:sick

Edit: For those that know about my problems with Lara, I have decided to go for an exchange, she has too many little issues that bother me and are directly QC related.

I am wondering just how many people bought from the secondary market? Also just how picky are you? Please post pics. I received a couple items that needed to go back. My Indy PF came with a few unpainted or possible chips in the base. No biggie. I matched up the paint and blotted it on. Believe me I am NO artist and I was able to fix it without anyone ever knowing the wiser.

That said I would love to see some of the true misfortunes. Loose joints don't count IMO. No matter what it looks like or what it does in the end you are buying a 12 inch toy and if you look hard enough you WILL find a flaw.

Certain older threads should be stickied for new collectors so that we don't keep rehashing the same ground again and again.

I am wondering just how many people bought from the secondary market? Also just how picky are you? Please post pics. I received a couple items that needed to go back. My Indy PF came with a few unpainted or possible chips in the base. No biggie. I matched up the paint and blotted it on. Believe me I am NO artist and I was able to fix it without anyone ever knowing the wiser.

That said I would love to see some of the true misfortunes. Loose joints don't count IMO. No matter what it looks like or what it does in the end you are buying a 12 inch toy and if you look hard enough you WILL find a flaw.

Well let me quote something from Wanderer.

And a final observation to the whiners crying over 'another' QC thread, get over it. As a paying customer, the o.p has the right to voice concern over the quality of a product, regardless how much was spent...If you're happy to settle for average then all the power to you...:monkey1

Again, If your willing to settle, IMO the problem clearly has not yet been solved. There isn't anything wrong with any of my Hot Toys figures or Medicom figures. Nothing at all. No broken arms or cloth pieces. And all the 3 and 8 inch stuff I buy can stand on their own. I hold Sideshow to the same standard as at least Hasbro, Playmates and Kenner.

Except Hasbro managed to regonise a problem with paint, switch factories, and produce better paint apps in less then 2 months with the Indy line. That still has not happened with SS.

I'm paying $90 for a figure, then it better be able to stand on its own, Sorry thats just not at all a wierd expectation.

I am actually afraid, as I mentioned, to buy anything from the secondary market even though its the only way to get sold out stuff, because of all the complaints I read on here or that I have experiance from. I don't want to get stuck with something flawed. Again thats the reason I have not bought an Iron Man Bust. It seems only about 10 percent of people here got one not at all flawed and I dont like those odds at $700.

I really dont think I'm being too picky, the Iron Man bust is for example, $700 as I mentioned, and the paint is really pretty simple, its just red and gold, its not all crazy little details and designs like the Indy Idol Pedastol, yet the biggest problem is uneven paint apps, rough or caked on. Now why can't they get a $700 piece right just paint wise or at least just stay in the very big lines, when Hasbro can do it on a figure thats way tinier in scale, a fraction of the price, and has a way larger production number?

Look at this Deadpool right in front of me on my desk, its the perfect example, what $8?

PICT1493.jpg

No major area where the black paint is blotched all into the red and the red didnt get missed on the face so its just primer colored. So why can't the company taking another $692 do the same? And is that wrong to want?

Last edited:
Again, If your willing to settle, IMO the problem clearly has not yet been solved. There isn't anything wrong with any of my Hot Toys figures or Medicom figures. Nothing at all. No broken arms or cloth pieces. And all the 3 and 8 inch stuff I buy can stand on their own. I hold Sideshow to the same standard as at least Hasbro, Playmates and Kenner.

Well, how about this then. I've gotten all the human figures from POTC and they all had skin tone that made them look more African American than the white folks with a bit of a tan. The same can be said with the Bruce Wayne sculpt that came with the new suit Batman. It matches the skin tone on my Asian TT body prefectly which is shouldn't. My HT Joker while the outfit is great had a broken wrist peg on one of the hands and if I really wanted it to look like Ledger I choose to get a sculpt done by Josh/Les to do so. I've got the HT Iron Man coming this week and I know they had issues with the pain on it to start. Plus I'm expecting the head on that to be a touch too dark as well.

Medicom has been good to me in that I've not had a broken or messed up item from them yet. However, I don't see myself buying much from them in the future. Sideshow has been good to me in I see to get items that come out just the way I want and when I have had problems I've been able to send them back. They have had some major duds (Sean and Ed) but honestly every company is going to have those. As far as standing up on their own. I haven't had a figure from anyone yet that can't do that.

Except Hasbro managed to regonise a problem with paint, switch factories, and produce better paint apps in less then 2 months with the Indy line. That still has not happened with SS.

Did you miss the part where they have multiple factories and are working on it from SOD? Its not like entire runs are being messed up its more a figure here or there in a run.

I am actually afraid, as I mentioned, to buy anything from the secondary market even though its the only way to get sold out stuff, because of all the complaints I read on here or that I have experiance from. I don't want to get stuck with something flawed. Again thats the reason I have not bought an Iron Man Bust. It seems only about 10 percent of people here got one not at all flawed and I dont like those odds at $700.

I'll resay something Dave said in that more often than not things are going to be just fine when you get them. We make up a small portion of the buyers and honestly I think the "issues" here are blown out of proportion.

I really dont think I'm being too picky, the Iron Man bust is for example, $700 as I mentioned, and the paint is really pretty simple, its just red and gold, its not all crazy little details and designs like the Indy Idol Pedastol, yet the biggest problem is uneven paint apps, rough or caked on. Now why can't they get a $700 piece right just paint wise or at least just stay in the very big lines, when Hasbro can do it on a figure thats way tinier in scale, a fraction of the price, and has a way larger production number?

Have you ever seen the Iron Man bust? The paint job on it isn't as simple as you might think. Yes, its red and gold but its the type of paint they have to use to make it look good. Not to mention I've read several companies having problems with Iron Man items because of the pain. Yes, even the gods themself Hot Toys. Now, having said that @ $700 Sideshow needed to make sure every I was dotted and T crossed a couple hundred times more even though I'm sure they did it several times before that. Why? At that price and knowing some of the folks who buy these will react you cover your butt multiple times over.

Look at this Deadpool right in front of me on my desk, its the perfect example, what $8?

PICT1493.jpg

No major area where the black paint is blotched all into the red and the red didnt get missed on the face so its just primer colored. So why can't the company taking another $692 do the same? And is that wrong to want?

You found 1 good Hasbro figure. I've seen countless figures in stores that are opposite over the years so lets not make 1 figure the set bar.

Don't forget about "East Indian Indy" either

Yeah, tell me about it....

Indy_Girls.jpg

More African American Indy tho.

But apart from that, I've not had any QC problems lately, but then its been almost 12 months since Sideshow have released or announced anything else that I'm willing to drop the type of cash these go for. Especially for fear of bad QC.

I just hope they don't stuff up the Disney PF line, otherwise I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

which thousand dollar item did you have to send back only to get a worse one? from your previous posts it looks like you got a few dud figures and a so-so PF. so why are you saying you got a flawed $1000 item twice? i guess i'm a little confused on what you're trying to say here. please forgive me. it's still early here.

let the people who actually got these bad items start a thread next time.

I could give an example of a thousand dollar item with a worse second one. My first Wolf bust was in pretty good shape, except several of the hairs were broken in half or broken at the metal base so they couldn't be plugged in. Also, the figure was missing several hairs in it's face, so there were big open pore with no hairs in them.

The replacement had just as many broken dreads and missing face hairs, but the base also had a big crack running right up the side of it.

I don't know how many pieces of any given statue are actually inspected, but whether it be 1 of every 10, 20, 50 or whatever, I personally don't believe a QC sticker should go on anything not personally inspected. Those stickers are in essence a "seal of approval" and if the item hasn't been inspected then why is it there? :confused:

And on a side note. I contacted SS about a flaw with an excl. Mystique PF [a spot of grey paint on her pants] I ordered for a friend. So SS informs me I can return it [there were no replacements available] or accept a $20 discount on my next purchase. I show the damage to my friend and he says he can probably remove the paint safely so he decides to keep it. I contact SS and inform them of this and they email me saying they are pleased I have decided to keep it and a discount will show up after my next credit card order is processed. They also take the time to inform me that since I am getting a $20 discount on my next purchase [excl. Hellboy2 PF] I am not eligible for the $17 worth of reward points I would have gotten. So in essence they gave me a $3 discount, while at the same time saving themselves over $30 in shipping costs. :horror Needless to say that is the last time I ever keep a flawed item from SS. :rolleyes:

I don't know how many pieces of any given statue are actually inspected, but whether it be 1 of every 10, 20, 50 or whatever, I personally don't believe a QC sticker should go on anything not personally inspected. Those stickers are in essence a "seal of approval" and if the item hasn't been inspected then why is it there? :confused:

And on a side note. I contacted SS about a flaw with an excl. Mystique PF [a spot of grey paint on her pants] I ordered for a friend. So SS informs me I can return it [there were no replacements available] or accept a $20 discount on my next purchase. I show the damage to my friend and he says he can probably remove the paint safely so he decides to keep it. I contact SS and inform them of this and they email me saying they are pleased I have decided to keep it and a discount will show up after my next credit card order is processed. They also take the time to inform me that since I am getting a $20 discount on my next purchase [excl. Hellboy2 PF] I am not eligible for the $17 worth of reward points I would have gotten. So in essence they gave me a $3 discount, while at the same time saving themselves over $30 in shipping costs. :horror Needless to say that is the last time I ever keep a flawed item from SS. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but that is OUTRAGEOUS.

The very least they could do is make sure you get your rewards points as well.

I'm sorry but that is OUTRAGEOUS.

The very least they could do is make sure you get your rewards points as well.

I couldn't agree more, and that is exactly what I will be mentioning to SS when I contact them later today.

They probably won't officially address any QC issues publicly as they are making a new business practice/model of offering up the flawed/replacement items on the Express Updates at a discount and still try to make money on them apparently. I can understand that as a business decision to try recoup any lost income on an item instead of destroying them but it seems like a semi-shady practice when you are selling items as a limited numbered item even if they are labeled as distressed items.

Last edited:
Sideshow Collectibles appreciates when our collectors share their opinions with us. Obviously, we understand that emotions will tend to run high if a collector receives an item in a damaged condition. However name calling, assumptions and hostilities rampant in posts usually cloud the points of the messages and may deter participation from most companies.

Sideshow Collectibles would love to participate in every thread and every forum but the conservative size of our administrative staff does not allow for this. The lack of a post from us in a thread does not mean that those concerns are being ignored. We do keep our eye on the forums and get issues and suggestions to the right people. We also try to publish answers to frequently asked questions in our 'Ask Sideshow' section of our web site so that all collectors may have the benefit of the answers rather than just members of select forums. You will find recent information on the QC subject there.

Please keep in mind that all of our items are hand created, assembled, painted, the clothing custom stitched, with the item hand dressed and boxed. It is nearly impossible to make every piece identical in a process such as this. Even though every item is almost the same, there may be some small details that are specific to your item and make it uniquely yours.

Our Quality Control staff spans different locations and production lines with the sole purpose of improving the product details. Production team members are updated with our collectors’ concerns and address them when possible on products currently being manufactured. Recent suggestions and improvements will be seen when these items reach market in about four to six months.

Ultimately, if the collector is unhappy with their item after receipt or if it is discovered to have a manufacturer’s defect, then the collector should take advantage of our Returns / Exchange policy. This policy insures that you can get an acceptable item through an exchange or you will get a refund. We even have extended this policy in certain instances to offer a partial refund for slightly flawed items, whose replacements have been exhausted, if the collector believes that the flaw will not interfere with their enjoyment and display of the item. While the refund options may be a disappointment, we feel that it is a better option then being stuck paying good money for an item that you are unhappy with.

Our friendly Customer Service & Returns staff are available to assist you with your order, through the return / exchange process, or with any other questions that you may have. I have seen the post regarding the partial damage credit triggering the loss of rewards and we can certainly look into evaluating this policy. Sideshow Collectibles welcomes this type of feedback and encourages you to e-mail it to us directly or to call us. Your suggestions help us to provide improved services and products!

We appreciate your business and the fact that you choose to spend your money with us. Whether it is the California based staff or the staff abroad, all of our teams work diligently to make sure that every item we produce is detailed and wickedly cool. We understand that every collector has their own particular aesthetics and thus we will not be able to please everyone. However, it is our hope that we can make the majority of the collectors proud to add our items to their lifetime collection!

Best to all!
Chicky

Well Thanks, I know this thread got heated and I'm to blame as much as anyone, but I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from, its frustrating.

Thanks again, its good to see it all envoked a responce and I'm glad you guys are listening to our feedback. (even the harsh ones)

Incredible. I just got an replacement body for my Iron Spiderman, and, the replacement HAS EXACTLY THE SAME FLAWS AS THE FIRST FIGURE HAD. Incredible. So, what's next? A refund?

I've had quite some damaged items from SSC in the past, but regarding their great return policy I never taught to much of it. Although, it IS annoying to receive a damaged item for which you've waited so long, and then, you have to wait again for a replacement to arrive... Someone has to pay for this service, and, in the end, I fear it's us. It would be better for all if the QC would be tighter.

Last edited:
Woodsy- The partial credit damage issue, then the order to which it is applied will earn rewards in the amount of actual dollars spent on the item.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

Best,
Chicky

Ultimately, if the collector is unhappy with their item after receipt or if it is discovered to have a manufacturer’s defect, then the collector should take advantage of our Returns / Exchange policy. This policy insures that you can get an acceptable item through an exchange or you will get a refund. We even have extended this policy in certain instances to offer a partial refund for slightly flawed items, whose replacements have been exhausted, if the collector believes that the flaw will not interfere with their enjoyment and display of the item. While the refund options may be a disappointment, we feel that it is a better option then being stuck paying good money for an item that you are unhappy with.

That's all fine and dandy but it sucks some major gonads when you try to get a replacement/exchange the very week that the item came out and you are told there are no more replacements.

I'm as frustrated by the QC issues as anyone, but let's try not to dump too much angst on Chicky, Dusty or the poor Customer Service ladies who have to field our calls and emails on a daily basis. IMHO, these are the folks at Sideshow who all do their jobs perfectly and better than pretty much any other company out there. I do understand that they are on the "front lines" in dealing directly with the customers and collectors... but it's important to remember that company policies, decisions, production issues and QC problems are not their fault in any way. And it's obvious that they care. All you need to do is pick up the phone and call their CS department. No matter who answers, you'll be treated royally. (Jennifer is the queen, though :lol)

Back