Quality Control (Lack Of)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is an insane list of problems.

Can I ask you a serious question w/o trying to come off as a 8====D jerk.

Why would you still keep buying from any business that sold you that many bad products, I stopped counting at 18 seperate issues.

If I bought 10 TVs from SONY and all 10 had problems, I think # 11 would no longer be from Sony. Hell, I don't think I would've even made it that far to be honest with you.

Believe me, no disrespect, I feel for what you went thru...i'm just curious what it is that makes folks come back to SS if they had that bad of an experience with them, such as how you described yours as being.

Reading yours actually made me cringe with just how many problems you had with them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

To be fair, they have resolved most issues very well with their customer service other than the IM bust and the Predator Maquette.

Why I keep buying: I am a big fan of the PF's/comiquettes and also a big Marvel and Star Wars fan so the overall size and quality of the PF's is a big factor. No other company produces anything close to the WOW factor as most of the SS pieces with those two licenses. Something like TV's there are many manufacturers that make similar items not so with collectibles due to licensing, etc.

To be fair, they have resolved most issues very well with their customer service other than the IM bust and the Predator Maquette.

Why I keep buying: I am a big fan of the PF's/comiquettes and also a big Marvel and Star Wars fan so the overall size and quality of the PF's is a big factor. No other company produces anything close to the WOW factor as most of the SS pieces with those two licenses.

Thank you for the feedback. Believe you me, i'm new to this so anything I can absorb while walking the path of experience is much appreciated.

I don't think he was thinking. :lol

Ah, but would any of us say that to Tom Petty? :lol

I try to if I think they're wrong. I guess I've been lucky with the bodies I've gotten. Reading some posts it seems some are so loose they almost fall apart out of the box or won't hold poses. Maybe I'm not trying crazy poses or whats loose to some isn't loose to me. Actually out of the last several 1:6th figures I've gotten it was GTG on the buck that couldn't hold a pose that I wanted with a very loose right arm.

The Obi-Wan I had a chance to pose wasn’t absolutely horrible, but I knew it would get much worse if posed a lot (which I would be doing). The Indy I had was fine at first, but after only a day and a half, the legs were buckling even when attached to the figure stand!!

Thanks! I know some think I'm a fanboy jerk off loser, etc. :lol Not the case but I am opinionated. :lol

I agree SS can get better with QC as can any company or at least based on items I've gotten from everyone.

You and I haven’t always agreed on issues, but this is one time where you got flamed for no reason.

The really alarming thing (for me, at least) is that the QC has gotten much worse. Yeah, we’ve always had complaints, but in the past year or so, widespread issues have run rampant (loose 1/6 bodies, wildly inconsistent paint apps, careless and noticeable damage to higher-end items like the Iron Man bust). Every company has room for improvement, but Sideshow seems to have really taken huge leaps BACKWARD!!

you know guys as far as new bodies are concerned, anytime a new body is rleased (by anyone) there are going to be issues.

As time goes on these issues are addressed and eventually ironed out - this includes us. You'll notice that as each figure comes out the things are tightened up a little more.

As far as QC goes i'm not going to comment on it because i'm not the offical voice of sideshow so i'll leave it up to the offical people to comment on it, but what i will say is until you run a company like sideshow and begin to understand how complicated the products we do actually are then comments about people getting sacked or that we don't care or any of that stuff needs to stop. Believe me things are being done about everything that has been brought up.

As far as QC goes i'm not going to comment on it because i'm not the offical voice of sideshow so i'll leave it up to the offical people to comment on it, but what i will say is until you run a company like sideshow and begin to understand how complicated the products we do actually are then comments about people getting sacked or that we don't care or any of that stuff needs to stop. Believe me things are being done about everything that has been brought up.

Well I don't think anyone has suggested people need to be fired, not in this thread anyway, in fact the opposite, if what Irish is saying is true, why not hire a guy or two already working in the factory to also check out the more expensive pieces before they ship?

you know guys as far as new bodies are concerned, anytime a new body is rleased (by anyone) there are going to be issues.

As time goes on these issues are addressed and eventually ironed out - this includes us. You'll notice that as each figure comes out the things are tightened up a little more.

The big issue I have with the new bodies is that my experiences with them have shown that they can't hold themselves up very well. In my opinion, that goes beyond the realm of being "a wrinkled that needs ironing". It pretty much kills the figure for me because I can't pose it. HOpefully, generic Prometheus base bodies will be made available similar to the Buck and TrueType bodies. At least then, some figures can be corrected (e.g. - Indy).

Personally, I don't want to see anyone get sacked--especially in this gloomy economy. But I hope you can understand many of our frustrations. Like I said, complaints about a wide range of QC issues have shot through the roof in the past several months. When it looks like things are getting worse rather than better, it can begin to seem like the company is indifferent or oblivious to the problems.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting they could run the company better or is shortchanging the challenges of doing so. But to suggest that we are in the wrong for challenging the company's way of doing things because we're dissatisfied with the products...that's not cool either. Yes, tact is necessary, and some comments go too far.

But for the most part, we have legitimate complaints, and some of us will simply stop being Sideshow consumers if the problems continue to go un-corrected. And don't take that as a threat. It's not. It's just being a responsible consumer.

The big issue I have with the new bodies is that my experiences with them have shown that they can't hold themselves up very well. In my opinion, that goes beyond the realm of being "a wrinkled that needs ironing". It pretty much kills the figure for me because I can't pose it. HOpefully, generic Prometheus base bodies will be made available similar to the Buck and TrueType bodies. At least then, some figures can be corrected (e.g. - Indy).

Personally, I don't want to see anyone get sacked--especially in this gloomy economy. But I hope you can understand many of our frustrations. Like I said, complaints about a wide range of QC issues have shot through the roof in the past several months. When it looks like things are getting worse rather than better, it can begin to seem like the company is indifferent or oblivious to the problems.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting they could run the company better or is shortchanging the challenges of doing so. But to suggest that we are in the wrong for challenging the company's way of doing things because we're dissatisfied with the products...that's not cool either. Yes, tact is necessary, and some comments go too far.

But for the most part, we have legitimate complaints, and some of us will simply stop being Sideshow consumers if the problems continue to go un-corrected. And don't take that as a threat. It's not. It's just being a responsible consumer.

I most certainly could run SS......
right into the ground.....:monkey5:duh:monkey5

i never said that you can't have constructive complaints but i've read in a number of threads a lot of general bashing and yes i've read that poeple should be fired.

If you guys have something to say and can say it like adults then there isn't a problem, some self control would be nice.

If you are charging premium prices (not to mention prices are increasing on all the new pieces by approximately $25 it seems) then the quality should be equal to the price, especially in today's economy. That will be a deciding factor for a lot of people.

Higher prices + Lower QC = Less buyers

If you are charging premium prices (not to mention prices are increasing on all the new pieces by approximately $25 it seems) then the quality should be equal to the price, especially in today's economy. That will be a deciding factor for a lot of people.

Higher prices + Lower QC = Less buyers

really? again guys stuff is being worked on. we are in china all the time now but it's complicated there isn't just one factory involved and we are also talking about mixed media and such, so the assumtion that we can send someone over there to live there and do QC is pretty crazy because he couldn't be in every warehouse at the same time. Believe me when i say that when other companies start producing the type of stuff we do they'll run into the same problems.

This will be my last post on this subject. bye.

i never said that you can't have constructive complaints but i've read in a number of threads a lot of general bashing and yes i've read that poeple should be fired.

If you guys have something to say and can say it like adults then there isn't a problem, some self control would be nice.

I was referring only to this thread, which has been tame in comparison to other threads. To me, it sounded as though your comments were thread-specific, so let's just chalk that up to a mis-communication.

But just to play devil's advocate, emotions can run high when several hundred dollars comes into play--especially in today's economy where people are more budget-conscious. QC issues can become much more frustrating in that context--even more so when the problems aren't isolated and repeat themselves time after time.

really? again guys stuff is being worked on. we are in china all the time now but it's complicated there isn't just one factory involved and we are also talking about mixed media and such, so the assumtion that we can send someone over there to live there and do QC is pretty crazy because he couldn't be in every warehouse at the same time. Believe me when i say that when other companies start producing the type of stuff we do they'll run into the same problems.

This will be my last post on this subject. bye.

Natrix is right. Prices have gone up noticeably as have the amount and nature of QC problems. That WILL ultimately result in fewer buyers if left unchecked. And I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that someone can be "in every warehouse at the same time". That's an exaggeration. What is expected, I think, is that an additional rep or two is assigned to the factories to perform more random inspections of the items. Of course, problems are going to happen and they'll slip through the cracks.

But these widespread problems (e.g. - extremely floppy Prometheus bodies and damages occuring in the same places on so many of one item that several replacements are required)...those can be lessened with more random inspections and focused efforts on areas that are identified as problematic. Again, I'll use the Pro as an example (even though it sounds like they won't be so problematic anymore). If more Indys were randomly pulled and found to be floppy, Sideshow could halt production, look for and fix the problem, and then resume.

Yeah, it would cost money, but it's much more consumer friendly than releasing a figure on a substandard body. To me, just saying "hey it just takes a few figures to iron out the wrinkles" is insulting to the consumers who bought those first few figures. They have just as much right to a high quality product as the person buying a Pro figure seven entries down the road.

Last edited:
Many of the Sideshow personnel are in China on a regular basis. They also have consultants that are there full time.

No other collectibles company has ever had the volume of items released into the market in such a steady flow. Because they have so many items, the perceived QC problems may seem greater than other companies, but if you look at percentages, I think you'll see that it's about the same as any other company.

well said dave!

I think SS are an easy target here but in fairness, the general opinion is their customer service is second to none...this is more than can be said of other companies in this market. That being said, if we pay high end prices for high end products, QC should be high end too. No question about it.
And a final observation to the whiners crying over 'another' QC thread, get over it. As a paying customer, the o.p has the right to voice concern over the quality of a product, regardless how much was spent...If you're happy to settle for average then all the power to you...:monkey1

And i'm thankful that someone from SS has come and said something, you couldn't say that about any company on a fan community.

That said, you guys do have great customer service, I just wish I had to bother them a bit less.

I have had either started a couple threads about poor QC or added my issues to the appropriate thread:

I had went through three Exclusive Predator maquettes when they first came out that all had major paint chips on the foot that fits in the base behind the log. The two replacements that were shipped to be had even been "inspected in the warehouse" before being shipped to me yet they all had the same defects even though they had pictures of what to check for. I just settled on the last one without bothering to try get a replacement.

I had issues with poor paint application and rough spots/chips on both of the 1:1 Iron Man busts that they sent me.

I had a huge chip out of a boot on my Red Skull PF. Replacement came with a broken gun that I glued back on myself.

I had a Exclusive Captain America PF that was sent back for replacement that I had to wait for over a year for a replacement and then the round shield didn't fit right on the replacement.

My Iron Spider-Man had a chip in the knee that was painted over along with some other paint issues.

My SIM comiquette had the major paint rubs that were common and had to be replaced.

My IM LSB had to be replaced due to the major paint scuffs (common again) and I had to wait like nine months for another flawed paint rubbed replacement.

I've had two Rogue comiquettes returned due to scratches and paint chips.

I've had an Exclusive Angel PF sent with two vampire heads.

I've had the Tusken Raider PF shipped without the Gaffi Stick (common).

I've had a Venon LSB with white paint in the mouth area that was attempted to rub/scratch off at the factory.

I've had an Ash PF that was missing the little chainsaw pull starter on his chest straps.

I've had a Lord of Darkness PF that had to be replaced due to scratches and a broken piece.

As far as 12" figures; I've had the hobbits, Clone Armor Obi and Indy that were as floppy as marrionettes but I didn't bother sending them back. the Stoomtroopers I bought all had to be stripped down and tightened up as well but were easy enough to fix.

I have also sent back a couple of the Marvel VS statues (cap/Red Skull and Spidey/Hulk) due to issues as well. I know there are also a couple more that I have had issues with but those are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head.

There must be other things going on with some QC issues. As I've stated many times - out of the hundreds of items I've received only 2 have ever needed returning for replacements.

Now, I'm not counting some loose joints in 12 inch figures, or the missing gaffi stick. I don't check everything with a magnifying glass, but I do inspect the pieces when I get them.

I hope I don't come off sounding callous, but there are plenty of people that do want the product and will buy it, even with the perceived "problems." One thing SSC has found is how to set editions so they don't get stuck with a lot of inventory. There's always someone that will buy it even if others might see a flaw.

I hope I don't come off sounding callous, but there are plenty of people that do want the product and will buy it, even with the perceived "problems." One thing SSC has found is how to set editions so they don't get stuck with a lot of inventory. There's always someone that will buy it even if others might see a flaw.

No, not at all, Dave.

Of course, there will be collectors who fill the voids left by those who decide "enough is enough" and move on. Unfortunately, that may also provide little motivation to address certain issues.

And to be honest, some of the problems mentioned in this thread aren't "perceived". They flat out exist. A figure with legs so loose than it can't support its own weight? Trust me, it's not a "perceived problem" when you hear a noise in the other room and find the figure crumpled on the stand. :lol

Well I didn't have a cheeseburger. I made grilled chicken. I can tell you for a fact that the quality control was lacking. :monkey4

Back