QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God I hope not. If the body shape isn't quite accurate enough I can at least work with that and make improvements, but if they give us the same tiny, undersized head as on Scully and Furiosa then it just won't be worth bothering.

This was the paint test for the reissue Spock.
4919e47b26c092a7a185ced7e261f9f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Looks like I will be upgrading my Spock. It certainly brings the likeness out better. I can only imagine how the newer digital sculpt would look if it were printed and painted. That with the newer slimmer body would be my ultimate Spock.

I'll keep dreaming ...

That reissue is a significant improvement...It was painful to have missed out on these...I guess QMX is demonstrating that good things come to those who wait.

What I find somewhat frustrating is that McCoy is the one who most needed an upgrade...
Seriously, all should be upgraded and add new values.

In my opinion, every one year old head needs to be updated especially for those that were done prior to 2018. Huge difference in 3D sculpting from 3 years ago. (I was the first in the industry using 3D heads for head production)

Every 3 months is a small hop in progress, every 6 months is a huge jump in innovation, and every year someone will be edged out from the industry.

I am already progressed to from 4 steps head production to 9 steps (for new heads only)

I associate myself to have the similar attitude to Japanese 匠の精神, the Soul of a Craftsman, where perfection is a never ending process and there is no such thing as Finished until the person stop touching his work (not creatively but attitude toward an objective)

I spent 2 years studying HT's hands. I am still studying it.

With the imminent arrival of Sulu and the news that Chekov was on his way, i decided to give these guys a place to display. I'll make the base large enough to accommodate the Captain's chair, creating a partial bridge setup. I'm planning to keep it fairly simple with just a few lights, so the build time should be just a few weeks.

helm01.jpg

helm02.jpg

I've ordered 2 of these chairs to modify.

helm03.jpg

For those following my Lotus build, that is still ongoing. I'm waiting for delivery of more white plasticard and during times i'm waiting for paint to dry, i'll work on the helm console.

I am going to be selling 3D printed TOS bridge chairs for Playmates, DST Art Asylum and QMX soon if anybody is interested.

With the imminent arrival of Sulu and the news that Chekov was on his way, i decided to give these guys a place to display. I'll make the base large enough to accommodate the Captain's chair, creating a partial bridge setup. I'm planning to keep it fairly simple with just a few lights, so the build time should be just a few weeks.

View attachment 463615

View attachment 463616

I've ordered 2 of these chairs to modify.

View attachment 463617

For those following my Lotus build, that is still ongoing. I'm waiting for delivery of more white plasticard and during times i'm waiting for paint to dry, i'll work on the helm console.

Nice! I really want a refit set like this.

I spent 2 years studying HT's hands. I am still studying it.

Then you should know by now about HT's puzzling tradition of giving paw... I mean... too big hands, to their figs.
Don't you?

Since 2017, HT already aware of me working for QMx. They knew I was a new comer with a very different approach then their competitors (I look at 1/6 like addiction similar to gambling). They knew my concept would work because I had no barriers.l among producers and we could be a threat to them if we kept doing the right thing. This is why they are doing IT. They dont need IT, they just want to do the same thing to us as they did to EB.

I am on to something good that's why the giant is looking at me.

I "giant" that in actuality is but a small bunch of kids. I recently saw a group pic of the whole HT team (includind CEO Howard, but not counting the factory workers), and they were but a bunch of kids. Hiring kids is best. Everybody knows it. Kids work their asses off to compensate for their lack of knowledge/skills and accept low wages while doing so (because they are going to conquer the world, you know).

Kinda sad that we now spend far more time in here discussing QMX business practices than the actual Trek figures themselves. :lol

We learn a lot about the realities of 1/6 manufacture thanks to that. I for one say "bring it on" Nanjin! Just keep educating us.
I am wondering now, what that Newson International thingy actually is. I can't find it with Google... Are they some plastic injection powerhouse...? Or some especialized toy manufacturer...?
RfC
Thanks,
m.

Will Captain Picard ever get a friend to stand next to? Even just one would be fine. Seriously just one...uno...eins...un...ett...odin, Yī, etc.:gah:

Here are my last production at QMx.

With less than 1/2 the support I once had in 2016, and all these problems that i faced, my in-house production still able to deliver.

These figures were done by mostly handicaps whom never touched a paint brush or a needle before.

Note the natural hang of the arms. 40/60 weight distribution do works. Free standing is a lot easier.

Paintjob is unbelievable well done even for experience painters (imagine their skills after 5000 heads)

2nd round Kirk and Spock are almost perfect.
9c983c3e62c1a9abe12eab3074201f3e.jpg
287771c76d9e62a335a1f45759119134.jpg
676a02cfc3890156fad927b210200801.jpg
946fd3479d20cda01a4e2c64044ad367.jpg

Nanjin, thanks for your updates about the updated Kirk and Spock, especially for sharing the pics of Spock’s new paint apps. I’m feeling even better about ordering the new Spock, now!

Back