QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a great admirer of you passion for all things Trek and I've been a supporter since the early days of your TOS v1.0 sets way back when, as well as your KTL Krik and Spock (still have them and love them), so I hope I will be able to keep supporting you and getting more fantastic Star Trek figures.

Good luck with your new endeavors Nanjin!

I've been a great admirer of you passion for all things Trek and I've been a supporter since the early days of your TOS v1.0 sets way back when, as well as your KTL Krik and Spock (still have them and love them), so I hope I will be able to keep supporting you and getting more fantastic Star Trek figures.

Good luck with your new endeavors Nanjin!
Nah, if I want to make money, I can just go back to Vegas and ask for a job, or take NetDragon's offer in a heartbeat (the guy who built the Voyager as office)

I know you since 2009 or 2010. You should know where my heart is....

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

I don’t have faith without nanjin involved either. I never saw anything from QMX that impressed me besides trek.

Seems they have come to an impass on what to do about the business model and nanjin and QMX has parted ways.

So yeah I guess it’s likely we will see some figures produced but without nanjins oversight and it seems confirmed that they are not looking good in terms of sales so I’d be shocked if it made it as far as units or Chekov. Probably gonna end at Scotty.

I believe nanjin 100 percent, and I have little confidence with anything trek knowing he’s not involved.

Thanks for everything you do Nanjin, please don’t give up on continuing your next 5-10 or whatever it may be trek mission when / if the time is right.

I don’t have faith without nanjin involved either. I never saw anything from QMX that impressed me besides trek.

Seems they have come to an impass on what to do about the business model and nanjin and QMX has parted ways.

So yeah I guess it’s likely we will see some figures produced but without nanjins oversight and it seems confirmed that they are not looking good in terms of sales so I’d be shocked if it made it as far as units or Chekov. Probably gonna end at Scotty.

I believe nanjin 100 percent, and I have little confidence with anything trek knowing he’s not involved.

Thanks for everything you do Nanjin, please don’t give up on continuing your next 5-10 or whatever it may be trek mission when / if the time is right.
I already have Uhura partially done. Her boots should be done by next week, so only paint up left.

You will have Uhura.

They dont really believe my reasoning. Once you put a trading company between the factories and the company, then it is a perfect route to fly off a cliff. Look at what happened to BC, they have to switch their entire business model.

A trading company doing 1/6 is the fastest way to destroy a line.

Despite our frustrations I do hope they keep at it, since I unfortunately don't see anyone else wanting to produce Trek figures. And hopefully Nanjin established enough of a model for them to follow.

I already have Uhura partially done. Her boots should be done by next week, so only paint up left.

You will have Uhura.

They dont really believe my reasoning. Once you put a trading company between the factories and the company, then it is a perfect route to fly off a cliff. Look at what happened to BC, they have to switch their entire business model.

A trading company doing 1/6 is the fastest way to destroy a line.

Wow this is all a lot to take in...Nanjin do you think we will still see Kirk with the green tunic (my favorite look for Kirk) or is that part of the territory where you and QMX may not be seeing eye to eye?

Wow this is all a lot to take in...Nanjin do you think we will still see Kirk with the green tunic (my favorite look for Kirk) or is that part of the territory where you and QMX may not be seeing eye to eye?
This will be their decision. But basing on my conclusion, only the plan that I figure out can do all Trek once I nail down a Trek base production line. Otherwise, twice the work, half the result.

If you collect 1/6, then you should know licensed producers only have 2 that are really successful, 3Zero and HT. HT is a backward integrated company, while 3zero is forward integration. Both are eyeing at production leverage. Without leverage, the company will be on ICU, in which, the income can only cover fixed cost (if under, then need to close). When it is at this point, then the under performance will drain the resources slowly. A slow and painful death (unstoppable bleeding).

Last edited:
Makes a lot of sense to me, this is what I was suspecting was happening with Blitzway too which is why the Hannibal QC is all over the place I had a feeling most of these small 1/6 companies were using production third party contractors and are too far removed to have a direct impact on how to drive their business and the quality of their product.

This will be their decision. But basing on my conclusion, only the plan that I figure out can do all Trek once I nail down a Trek base production line. Otherwise, twice the work, half the result.

If you collect 1/6, then you should know licensed producers only have 2 that are really successful, 3Zero and HT. HT is a backward integrated company, while 3zero is forward integration. Both are eyeing at production leverage. Without leverage, the company will be on ICU, in which, the income can only cover fixed cost (if under, then need to close). When it is at this point, then the under performance will drain the resources slowly. A slow and painful death (unstoppable bleeding).

Thanks...sad realities of the hobby...I guess passion can be the great equalizer because I enjoy my Star Trek figures that you shepherded more than any figure from Hot Toys or Blitzway that I own.

Thanks...sad realities of the hobby...I guess passion can be the great equalizer because I enjoy my Star Trek figures that you shepherded more than any figure from Hot Toys or Blitzway that I own.
Really? Thank you. I am not at that level as of today. ut I did plan to show off what I can do this year beginning with twok.... then...[emoji26]

The problem is TOS is a show for the old guys

Some New collectors might have never even heard of
TWOK let alone know what the initials stand for.

The 1/6 world has changed dramatically in the last 2 years
from custom 1/6( look what happen to Rainman , Pettersen
Business model) to even this very sight we are on.
Custom Art figures are harder to come by as most
fans just want a figure ...

Hot Toys continue to pump Avengers and Iron msnboht each month
And for the truly Art figures, it is harder to offer in a
large scale basis appealing to the bean counters revenue
projections. Most of the 1/6 companies will go to extreme
to provide a killer prototype and when it is released, the figure
end up with horrible clothing and headscukpts

QMX ST was one of the few lines where the prototype and
Final figure turn out almost 9O% the same.

This is why for better or worse large scale production rarely
turn out well. Yunsil and Iminime will continue
to thrive for this exact reason as they are much more
Limited in scale

I do hope TOS is reborn under Nanjin
Long live the King Nanjin !

Wishing Nanjin Live long and prosperous

The problem is TOS is a show for the old guys

Some New collectors might have never even heard of
TWOK let alone know what the initials stand for.

The 1/6 world has changed dramatically in the last 2 years
from custom 1/6( look what happen to Rainman , Pettersen
Business model) to even this very sight we are on.
Custom Art figures are harder to come by as most
fans just want a figure ...

Hot Toys continue to pump Avengers and Iron msnboht each month
And for the truly Art figures, it is harder to offer in a
large scale basis appealing to the bean counters revenue
projections. Most of the 1/6 companies will go to extreme
to provide a killer prototype and when it is released, the figure
end up with horrible clothing and headscukpts

QMX ST was one of the few lines where the prototype and
Final figure turn out almost 9O% the same.

This is why for better or worse large scale production rarely
turn out well. Yunsil and Iminime will continue
to thrive for this exact reason as they are much more
Limited in scale

I do hope TOS is reborn under Nanjin
Long live the King Nanjin !

Wishing Nanjin Live long and prosperous
I am not from the Mirror universe. Your last few sentences are too heavy for me.

See, from the time we shown prototype to production, there might be room for improvements. I am an opportunist, I will take the opportunity in a heartbeat.

More importantly, I feel I have the responsiblity for your guys, whom I see as friends connected through Trek. I take care of my friends. I cant give them a Trek figure when I know it could be better. I will look down on myself if I let my friends down. I believe this mentality makes the differences.

I really respect that Nanjin, just know and I speak for others I'm sure, that you've never let me down. I have what some would all unreasonably high standards and I've never not been satisfied. Sometimes I'm blown away sometimes I'm merely elated but every time I'm satisfied. You've really done justice to an often neglected franchise and I'm sure the friend you made your promise too would be proud to own the figures you managed to get made, both licensed and unlicensed and that really says something.

I don't think it can be disputed that the best ever Trek figures were delivered by you. I want to believe that you will still somehow some day deliver the best Trek figures ever that have not yet been created.

I don't know enough about things and legalities and bridges not to be burned and such but I'd wager one day long after QMX has not had the license and there is enough distance theres no way why you can't dip your toes into that pool again. at least I'm hoping!

For now, take a much deserved breather and a moment to appreciate what you made possible, I sure as hell appreciate it.

The Battlestar Galactica stuff on qmx was amazing especially the replica raider and viper(which i regret not buying).

The quality in these TOS figures are truly amazing
especially at the $200 price point for a mass produced
line. I tell you guys we are very lucky to get these guys
I just don’t see any mass produced figures ever to
come out again with the quality we see in the 3 kings.

If these figures were all custom made by
the underground artist, I would think each
figure with all the accessories would easily
hit $750 each

Scotty would be it for me through QMX
I hope Scotty sell well but I wouldn’t
bet the farm on it as all the fair weathered
fans are only looking for Kirk and maybe Spock
though

I really respect that Nanjin, just know and I speak for others I'm sure, that you've never let me down. I have what some would all unreasonably high standards and I've never not been satisfied. Sometimes I'm blown away sometimes I'm merely elated but every time I'm satisfied. You've really done justice to an often neglected franchise and I'm sure the friend you made your promise too would be proud to own the figures you managed to get made, both licensed and unlicensed and that really says something.

I don't think it can be disputed that the best ever Trek figures were delivered by you. I want to believe that you will still somehow some day deliver the best Trek figures ever that have not yet been created.

I don't know enough about things and legalities and bridges not to be burned and such but I'd wager one day long after QMX has not had the license and there is enough distance theres no way why you can't dip your toes into that pool again. at least I'm hoping!

For now, take a much deserved breather and a moment to appreciate what you made possible, I sure as hell appreciate it.
Thank you, Ray. You are one of those friends whom I met here 8 or 9 years ago.

It is 4:15 am here in China. Couldnt sleep. I feel like my adopted children whom I took care for 10 years are going away, and I wont be able to take care and protect them. They are still young. I remember when I first joined QMx. I stressed that i am very protective of these Trek figures. I no longer can protect them....

I feel empty.

I actually wanted to cry.

Since I will be leaving. I will share this.

I immigrated to the US in 1976. I couldnt speak English then, and there was this bad boy who took care of me, shielded me from bullies. We were closer than brothers.

Once we were talking about Mego Trek figures. We didnt have money to buy any then, and he mentioned some day he would have money, and he would buy me the figures. I watched him die in front of me 2 days after that.

This is why I pour my heart and soul into them, and this is why I always extend my hand when i see someone needs help, and this is why I am so protective of my people.

This is why I always say I hope those who have the figures could remember who they were when they were young.

The quality in these TOS figures are truly amazing
especially at the $200 price point for a mass produced
line. I tell you guys we are very lucky to get these guys
I just don’t see any mass produced figures ever to
come out again with the quality we see in the 3 kings.

If these figures were all custom made by
the underground artist, I would think each
figure with all the accessories would easily
hit $750 each

Scotty would be it for me through QMX
I hope Scotty sell well but I wouldn’t
bet the farm on it as all the fair weathered
fans are only looking for Kirk and maybe Spock
though

Yeah it's very easy to imagine how these figures could have come out looking a whole lot more generic without Nanjin's attention to detail, and making sure that everything from the sparkly black pants to the cut of the boots was accurate to the show.

Back