QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick shot of McCoy after the body swap. Not sure if I’ll keep it like this. For one thing the body is really floppy. Also I don’t think the body swap really did anything as far as the shoulders. They’re still too broad. He’s thinner now is the main thing. I don’t think I care for everything being so loose (abdomen and his feet due to the ankle extenders being removed).
1EFD6E20-4F80-4375-A199-7EE1555BFE1E.jpg

(Not sure why my image is rotated)

Quick shot of McCoy after the body swap. Not sure if I?ll keep it like this. For one thing the body is really floppy. Also I don?t think the body swap really did anything as far as the shoulders. They?re still too broad. He?s thinner now is the main thing. I don?t think I care for everything being so loose (abdomen and his feet due to the ankle extenders being removed).
1EFD6E20-4F80-4375-A199-7EE1555BFE1E.jpg

That Negan body looks different to Rick's - it looks more like a regular narrow shoulder.

Negan:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Rick:

e4f76d5807dc16293a2e7858fbb424fd.jpg

John Snow:

s-l1600.jpg

Glenn:

s-l1600.jpg

Well at least I didn’t pay a crazy amount for it or anything. I’ll probably just use the spare body for a custom or something. McCoy is back to stock. The QMX body definitely has a better quality to it. Like I mentioned the Negan body is super floppy in the abdomen.

As Kirk declared to Bones, with an affectionate series of gentle slaps on the cheek: “Antibodies... ANTI-BODIES!” The bodies, gentlemen... the bodies are reminiscent of Barbie and Ken. That’s the most disappointing aspect to me. And I stand by that opinion since it is mine. Maybe statues would have been more to my liking! The likenesses I will concede since I do not have SW figures in hand to compare with the prototypes pictured all over the internet.

Thank you for the kind words. I know i wasn't as good as the top brands for whatever reasons that i have, but i have an attitude that no one has.

I truly feel responsible for my Trek friends and to the franchise, and I would not stop to make sure each Trek figure can bring a smile. (I have a different set of work attitude in production where I make sure the production team has X amount of Nanjin Attitude)

I am not Superman. Failure can happen, but if my entire production team has this Nanjin Attitude, any failure will contribute to better any future figures.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Thank YOU Nanjin! The work that you put into this line paid off amazingly! I wish Hot Toys and other companies would put the care and attention into their figures that you put into the Trek line. The negative and inaccurate perspective of one poster on this forum does not erase the overwhelming gratitude that the rest of the actual experienced collectors on this forum have for your contributions to the 1/6 scale figure industry.

As Kirk declared to Bones, with an affectionate series of gentle slaps on the cheek: ?Antibodies... ANTI-BODIES!? The bodies, gentlemen... the bodies are reminiscent of Barbie and Ken. That?s the most disappointing aspect to me. And I stand by that opinion since it is mine. Maybe statues would have been more to my liking! The likenesses I will concede since I do not have SW figures in hand to compare with the prototypes pictured all over the internet.

Actually, one body does work well: KHAAAAAAAAN’s

FEMALE KLINGON WARRIORS TOS

As it does not seem to be likely that Qmx will be producing Uhura or any other female character in the near future I decide to make my own 1:6 figures fitting the QMx TOS figures I own, Kirk, Spock and McCoy. So what would be more appropriate than female Klingons? There are two in "Day of the Dove" (3rd season), one science officer (Mara) and one NCO (?).

As the two female Klingons wear very tight leather leggings with feet making hip high boots of them I would like to know what the community here would recommend as an appropriate body (mid size bust only).

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...RJ_2HDE4t840u78unR2OAzPxCzy3iWy_JrNx&usqp=CAU

A seamless one to prevent the knee hinges to be visible?

What brand?

Thank you for your recommendations.

As Kirk declared to Bones, with an affectionate series of gentle slaps on the cheek: “Antibodies... ANTI-BODIES!” The bodies, gentlemen... the bodies are reminiscent of Barbie and Ken. That’s the most disappointing aspect to me. And I stand by that opinion since it is mine. Maybe statues would have been more to my liking! The likenesses I will concede since I do not have SW figures in hand to compare with the prototypes pictured all over the internet.

As I said, likeness-wise (IMHO) QMX's Star Trek figures (maybe I should say Nanjin's Star Trek figures) are on average about par with Hot Toys, paint is not at the same level.
As far as the bodies go, I really only have a big problem with McCoy. The body they used on him didn't work at all, plus, the head is a wee bit small, so that makes it even worse. Kirk works perfectly for me (the first batch, the second batch is completely wrong IMHO), as well as Khan, and Spock is passable. I don't have Sulu and Scotty in hand yet, so I can't comment on those two.

Hot Toys' ANH Luke is a good example of HT dropping the ball, unfortunately... The body is all wrong, and the head sculpt really suffered from prototype to production. A shame really. Or take Tarkin, for instance: looks great from the from, but from the side the sculpt looks pretty bad (bird-like is a comment I've often heard), and the tailoring isn't very good, as it's a chore to get him to actually sit down. Not to mention how the glue on the shoulder closure of the jacket just rots away...
Speaking of bodies... how about Batfleck's Batbutt? I think Barbie would envy that one... :lol

As I said, likeness-wise (IMHO) QMX's Star Trek figures (maybe I should say Nanjin's Star Trek figures) are on average about par with Hot Toys, paint is not at the same level.
As far as the bodies go, I really only have a big problem with McCoy. The body they used on him didn't work at all, plus, the head is a wee bit small, so that makes it even worse. Kirk works perfectly for me (the first batch, the second batch is completely wrong IMHO), as well as Khan, and Spock is passable. I don't have Sulu and Scotty in hand yet, so I can't comment on those two.

Ok, I will concede the likenesses of the heads being on par with HT SW. Too many of you with SW figures have pushed back on that and I don’t have SW figs to legitimately challenge that. And I totally agree with you about the bodies. But I do think Spock is still too muscular—not as bad as McCoy, though. And why did Kirk lose his build and his shoulder width on the second, “improved,” release, I don’t get it. :slap

Yeah, whatever happened to Kirk is a head-scratcher, I think Nanjin addressed that somewhere in this thread though.
A real shame.

Was just looking at some Hot Toys SW figures. Compared to those these Trek figures look like Ken and Barbie dolls, I’m sorry to say...

No need to apologise. But have you got any of the QMX 1:6 in hand? I own the Kirk & Spock re-release and Captain's chair (wish I owned more...). My most recent HT are probably War Machine IV, Dr Strange Infinity War and I should have my SW R1 Krennic soon. All up, I'd own about 35 HT? Maybe more. In my opinion, the QMX Star Trek are definitely on par for likeness, quality, paint and poseability and HT could not do a better job if it tried.

Perhaps the issue is that HT does mostly recent films which have looks and designs as the product of million dollar wardrobe budgets. The design of the Star Trek The Original Series uniforms, haircuts, makeup and accessories however originates from a simpler and cheaper time, being a 1960s TV show with a very very limited budget! Thankfully Nanjin has replicated the low-budget simple effect totally and those who love ST original wouldn't have it any other way. The tunics for instance are as close to screen used as the Anovos season 3 tunics. Anyway. Can I end by saying again, HEY QMX RE-RELEASE MCCOY!!!

No need to apologise. But have you got any of the QMX 1:6 in hand? I own the Kirk & Spock re-release and Captain's chair (wish I owned more...). My most recent HT are probably War Machine IV, Dr Strange Infinity War and I should have my SW R1 Krennic soon. All up, I'd own about 35 HT? Maybe more. In my opinion, the QMX Star Trek are definitely on par for likeness, quality, paint and poseability and HT could not do a better job if it tried.

Perhaps the issue is that HT does mostly recent films which have looks and designs as the product of million dollar wardrobe budgets. The design of the Star Trek The Original Series uniforms, haircuts, makeup and accessories however originates from a simpler and cheaper time, being a 1960s TV show with a very very limited budget! Thankfully Nanjin has replicated the low-budget simple effect totally and those who love ST original wouldn't have it any other way. The tunics for instance are as close to screen used as the Anovos season 3 tunics. Anyway. Can I end by saying again, HEY QMX RE-RELEASE MCCOY!!!

I think Disney and Hot Toys have psychologists working on their marketing as they use very strong visual techniques to appeal to their market. Our heroes change their costumes/armour between every movie to maximise new sales. It's all very deliberate.

Trek is just replicating what was on screen fifty years when the colourful uniforms alone were the marketing technique. The stock bodies are necessary to keep costs low; it's just a shame that the men are all so hunky and the women so skinny yet busty.

But if you look at how some people are able to pose the figures to channel the actors with such clarity, it's clear that 'user error' may be a factor if someone thinks the figures resemble Barbie. I haven't attempted to pose mine properly yet but I think I might need a YouTube help video because I'm so bad at it.

It might be here the wrong thread but I wonder whether on the USS Enterprise - TOS - there was only 1 commander - Spock - or several commanders. I know that there is Finney and there is Giotto but both are referred to as lieutenant commanders, so their two braids on their sleevers are an error of the costume department.
Anyway, here and there there is a 2 stripes officier to be seen in the TOS, in the briefing room or so. So was there only Spock as "the" commander or is it possible that the starship had more commanders, 1 for the yellow shirts and 1 for the red shirts, sometimes seen in the background but never named?

It might be here the wrong thread but I wonder whether on the USS Enterprise - TOS - there was only 1 commander - Spock - or several commanders. I know that there is Finney and there is Giotto but both are referred to as lieutenant commanders, so their two braids on their sleevers are an error of the costume department.
Anyway, here and there there is a 2 stripes officier to be seen in the TOS, in the briefing room or so. So was there only Spock as "the" commander or is it possible that the starship had more commanders, 1 for the yellow shirts and 1 for the red shirts, sometimes seen in the background but never named?

Number One was only a lieutenant, although she might have been promoted soon after. Maybe when they doubled the number of crew, it opened up room for a few lieutenant commanders. The rank braids were always inconsistent. Plenty of lieutenants didn't have braids.

Number One was only a lieutenant, although she might have been promoted soon after. Maybe when they doubled the number of crew, it opened up room for a few lieutenant commanders. The rank braids were always inconsistent. Plenty of lieutenants didn't have braids.

I imagine that there are plenty of Commanders on the Enterprise but obviously only one is the First Officer. In TNG Riker is a Commander and First Officer but Troi and Crusher also both hold the rank of Commander even though one is Ship?s Counselor and the other is Chief Medical Officer. TNG and subsequent series also established that a Lt. Commander can also hold the First Officer position but probably not if there is a Commander on that particular ship.

Thank YOU Nanjin! The work that you put into this line paid off amazingly! I wish Hot Toys and other companies would put the care and attention into their figures that you put into the Trek line. The negative and inaccurate perspective of one poster on this forum does not erase the overwhelming gratitude that the rest of the actual experienced collectors on this forum have for your contributions to the 1/6 scale figure industry.
Again appreciate the kind words.

I had mentioned about Report Cards for every nee figure release...

Comments are my grades in my report cards. Is good to know one's short comings, reminds me to reexamine if I could do any better (it is very exciting and brings good vibe to find my mistakes and able to provide a remedy), or I have room to improve, or a reality check that i didnt do the the best

I don't need confirmation on what I did right, but I surely want to know what I did wrong.

NO apology needed for any comments, but my appreciation of the giving the comments so I can do better.

Thank You, Sir! Noted the comments....perfect 1/6 trek will come.

1/6 Trek is an OUR game, NOT a MY game...

Hot Toys' ANH Luke is a good example of HT dropping the ball, unfortunately... The body is all wrong, and the head sculpt really suffered from prototype to production. A shame really. Or take Tarkin, for instance: looks great from the from, but from the side the sculpt looks pretty bad (bird-like is a comment I've often heard), and the tailoring isn't very good, as it's a chore to get him to actually sit down. Not to mention how the glue on the shoulder closure of the jacket just rots away...
Speaking of bodies... how about Batfleck's Batbutt? I think Barbie would envy that one... [emoji38]
Note this: none of the released trek figures head sculpts were ?new.? Most if not all were ?old,? done at least one or two years before I joined the company.

They should had been updated at approval process... i was told ?Why bother??

Ok, I will concede the likenesses of the heads being on par with HT SW. Too many of you with SW figures have pushed back on that and I don?t have SW figs to legitimately challenge that. And I totally agree with you about the bodies. But I do think Spock is still too muscular?not as bad as McCoy, though. And why did Kirk lose his build and his shoulder width on the second, ?improved,? release, I don?t get it. :slap
Original ?Plan? for 2nd Release:

2nd Kirk and Spock should make a Wow when announced. Then they must be new figures. Re-runs don't make Wow.

Kirk - Green Wrap with his own body shape. Exclusive: New Standard Uniform with new sleeve braids.

Mirror Spock - with his own body shape. Exclusice: New Standard Uniform with new sleeve braids and a new head sculpts.

The bodies used on the 1st release were generic, and the molds were deteriorating in 2018. Scotty used the same body, and i had to return 40%+ during production. That company was retiring the molds.

Plans without execution are THOUGHTS.

Back