QMx 1:6 Star Trek: TNG - Jean Luc Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, the QMX Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are excellent. Dark picture or not, in my opinion, they've provided enough consistent quality to give them the benefit of the doubt...

So far, the QMX Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are excellent. Dark picture or not, in my opinion, they've provided enough consistent quality to give them the benefit of the doubt...

It's very subjective.

For me, personally - Kirk started out as the best, then Spock was not quite as good, then - despite looking better in-hand - McCoy is the weakest of the three.

Star Ace were like that - started very strong then went progressively downhill. It's almost as if they spent more time and effort on the first figures then got complacent and increased prices too. I'm hoping QMx are not the same.

So, I'll reserve judgement until we get better pictures and the actual figures, but I dislike dark teaser pictures too. It seems to be a silly trend. Best not to tease at all.

The sculpts on all these figures are over a year old, I'm not sure what people expect will have changed.

The dark image of Picard in Kirk's chair is Nanjin's PERSONAL photography. It's not a QMx product teaser, it's just Nanjin shooting cool photos and sharing them with fans on FB and in here. His post on FB even made a joke about QMx not wanting the figure to be shown yet, which is why this one is in darkness.

Guess he might as well keep it to FB.

The sculpts on all these figures are over a year old, I'm not sure what people expect will have changed.

The dark image of Picard in Kirk's chair is Nanjin's PERSONAL photography. It's not a QMx product teaser, it's just Nanjin shooting cool photos and sharing them with fans on FB and in here. His post on FB even made a joke about QMx not wanting the figure to be shown yet, which is why this one is in darkness.

Guess he might as well keep it to FB.

Agreed. Best not to tease at all. Like I said - the proof is in the FINAL product.

It's very subjective.

For me, personally - Kirk started out as the best, then Spock was not quite as good, then - despite looking better in-hand - McCoy is the weakest of the three.

Star Ace were like that - started very strong then went progressively downhill. It's almost as if they spent more time and effort on the first figures then got complacent and increased prices too. I'm hoping QMx are not the same.

So, I'll reserve judgement until we get better pictures and the actual figures, but I dislike dark teaser pictures too. It seems to be a silly trend. Best not to tease at all.

I have to agree here. Look I love them and support them but the Mccoy was a big big dip. I got a second head to put on my old DC WOK Mccoy and to be honest the old head is no worse and a bit more accurate to his look in that film.

But the old head was rough and dated. I'm not talking paint job but sculpt. The new one's paint job is not so good either. And the body choice as bad for Mccoy and the other shirt just looks weird.

From what I've seen the QMX sculpt is at least as good as the Playmates. Which sounds kinda funny considering the Playmates version is a 20-year-old mass-market figure. But they got lucky with that sculpt.

For there to be any chance of the TNG line going deep (no matter what they would like to do in theory), Picard needs to be basically perfect, like Kirk.

Nanjin is clinging to this obviously flawed sculpt and the purple uniform color. That doesn't bode well for going deeper than Data (whose sculpt is even worse) and Worf.

For there to be any chance of the TNG line going deep (no matter what they would like to do in theory), Picard needs to be basically perfect, like Kirk.

Nanjin is clinging to this obviously flawed sculpt and the purple uniform color. That doesn't bode well for going deeper than Data (whose sculpt is even worse) and Worf.

Exactly. I don't see Stewart there at all and it pains me because I know it can be better.

It's not much to ask for improvements when you're blowing a good chunk of money on something. Pisses me off when something gets released despite flaws. It's why I never bought DX Indy or ANH Han.

Can't see Stewart at all in the sculpt? Data is a bad sculpt? Purple uniforms? :rotfl

I think someone's been looking at this image...

GRIMACE-NOOO.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are becoming a little spoiled aren't you?:)

We are being asked to pay $175-200 for this figure. It's not like QMx is doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

And QMx has shown a commitment to quality so getting his likeness right (and no, I'm not claining I see 'no' Stewart in that sculpt) is the first order of business on any 1:6 figure.

We already have Sideshow and ThreeZero putting out second-rate sculpts, despite all the sculpting talent out there, so we don't need QMx to follow in their 'good enough' habits. I admire his passion, but a lot of nanjin's releases have had middling-quality likenesses.

Having just gotten McCoy for my birthday, I wouldn't say his sculpt is weak at all, it's far better in hand than in pics. So far QMX has been hitting homeruns in this series. I'll wait for final pics of Picard before I pass judgment.

It's not much to ask for improvements when you're blowing a good chunk of money on something. Pisses me off when something gets released despite flaws. It's why I never bought DX Indy or ANH Han.

We are being asked to pay $175-200 for this figure. It's not like QMx is doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

And QMx has shown a commitment to quality so getting his likeness right (and no, I'm not claining I see 'no' Stewart in that sculpt) is the first order of business on any 1:6 figure.

We already have Sideshow and ThreeZero putting out second-rate sculpts, despite all the sculpting talent out there, so we don't need QMx to follow in their 'good enough' habits. I admire his passion, but a lot of nanjin's releases have had middling-quality likenesses.

Oh, I totally agree about that! The thing is I think, so far, they have a perfect track record. The prices are too high, but that's the case with everything released these days. And I see people getting wowed by HT when their prices are even higher and most of the time, their sculpts are idealized versions of the actors. Yet people cut them some slack which, apparently, they're not ready to do with smaller companies that make stuff as good as HT ( though I'll grant you paint jobs could be better)

As for the color of the units, Nanjin is right, the color is accurate to the actual thing. It's the filters they use while shooting that makes it appear more red.

As for the color of the units, Nanjin is right, the color is accurate to the actual thing. It's the filters they use while shooting that makes it appear more red.

It's not "right," rather it is accurate to the prop. Of course no one in the general public saw the costume until years after they watched it on TV. They saw the noticeably redder hue on the screen.

The designers chose a color deliberately to achieve a different target color on screen. It makes no sense to not try to emulate that screen color under normal home lighting conditions, since presumably few of us view our figures under studio lighting and through camera lenses.

And if we apply the reasoning of "prop-accurate" consistently, then with anything digital, a company like QMx should give us a computer file or a bunch of print outs with 0's and 1's -- prop-accurate!

Personally I think Star Puffs is completely right here. I don't care about what something looked like on set, only about how it looked on screen, as intended, in the context of the show itself. Because we (or at least, I) collect these things as representations of the characters and worlds that we fall in love with via the context of the established reality of the TV shows and movies that they appear in, not based on the actual reality of actors in funny outfits standing around on a movie or TV set. I'm not after a Patrick Stewart playing Captain Picard on the set of Star Trek:The Next Generation figure, I want a Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek:The Next Generation figure. A subtle distinction, perhaps, but in my personal opinion, an important one, particularly when it comes to details such as this.

I know there are a lot of collector's waiting for Next Gen. figures, and I hope you all get what you want. For me, being a child of the 60's and early 70's TOS is what I am after. Whether it is the TV show or the Movies. After I have the magnificent 7, then maybe I will think about branching out into other era's.

It's not "right," rather it is accurate to the prop. Of course no one in the general public saw the costume until years after they watched it on TV. They saw the noticeably redder hue on the screen.

The designers chose a color deliberately to achieve a different target color on screen. It makes no sense to not try to emulate that screen color under normal home lighting conditions, since presumably few of us view our figures under studio lighting and through camera lenses...

I'm in agreement with Star Puffs. We all saw the command uniforms as a deep "red" on television. The burgundy color shown may be accurate to the prop but was not what was targeted to show on television.

I hope it does get changed or at least provided as an "exclusive" item. You get the "Best of Both Worlds"... :wink1:

Back