QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Jayne Cobb

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was me. .

I remember reading your dad's posts when I was still lurking the forums, he seemed like a really cool guy and it's nothing short of magical to have such a great relationship with your dad. I'm sorry for your loss.

I'd think the $100 shipped fire sale for the Mal "signature" editions would be a sure sign of the lines death... that was a crazy price to see with the added signature plaque.

Yeah, there would probably never be a bigger sign than that. It's just unfortunate that we never got any conformation whatsoever, especially since they actually showed Jayne and Zoe awhile ago. People were really giddy about those false reassurances at the time.

I thought the line was done last year until I saw Jayne and Zoe on display at SDCC.

If I were writing fan fiction, Jayne and Zoe had enough of the Captain and drove away in the 66 Batmobile. The end.

Or Qmx thought, geez we can’t even sell out of Cap Mal how the hell will we ever sell enough of a Simon or Book figure?

I think they made too many of Mal so they ended up with a ton of overstock then waited too long to release Jayne. Characters like Simon wouldn’t sell many anyway, but Jayne, Zoe, Wash, River, and Kaylee would have done well—especially if people knew QMX was dedicated to getting them all out. Book may have sold decent numbers—especially after Ron Glass died.

Regardless, now I’m wary of jumping into collecting a line from QMX without knowing if they’re going to keep it going. Their communication could definitely be better for figures that are definitely going to be produced. We finally got Dean from Supernatural, but how long will the wait be for Sam? And is there any real chance that we’ll ever see the Castiel figure that was on display at SDCC? Or Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride?

Regardless, now I’m wary of jumping into collecting a line from QMX without knowing if they’re going to keep it going. Their communication could definitely be better for figures that are definitely going to be produced. We finally got Dean from Supernatural, but how long will the wait be for Sam? And is there any real chance that we’ll ever see the Castiel figure that was on display at SDCC? Or Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride?

I don't let that stop me, though when I bought Mal when he was first released I was hoping for more of the crew.

I'm loving the Star Trek figures and have them all plus Kirk's chair. I'll just keep taking whatever they make, hoping that the line can be successful enough to continue.

I think they made too many of Mal so they ended up with a ton of overstock then waited too long to release Jayne. Characters like Simon wouldn’t sell many anyway, but Jayne, Zoe, Wash, River, and Kaylee would have done well—especially if people knew QMX was dedicated to getting them all out. Book may have sold decent numbers—especially after Ron Glass died.

It's possible they made too many, but it is also possible there was unmet demand as people waited to see if there would indeed be more figures. I'm sure people were wary of the one and done thing.

I love Firefly as much as the next fan here, but honestly it just doesn't look like there were enough of us out there interested in collecting 1/6 figures of the crew. It was always a very niche thing, and the more time that passes the less interest there probably is.

That was me.

My father (known as Old Grandpa here on the boards) and I bought the whole crew that Trevor Grove generously sculpted several years back. My dad went further and bought both versions of the Inara and River heads. It was a great father and son project we worked on for quite awhile, a time that I will always cherish. He was a great resource in getting pieces for all of my figures and he helped out many fellow Freak Board members with their Firefly figures as well.

After my father passed away last year, I inherited his whole Firefly crew which were far superior to mine. He simply had more time and money to pour into them. Plus, we went to several Comic Cons showing them off to the cast who then signed the figure bases for him. That Firefly crew was his pride and joy. He even assembled a Wash figure and gave it Alan Tudyk. He later used that figure in his Con Man web series.
View attachment 416322

So I found myself with two sets of Firefly figures with shelf space for only one. I decided to post them up on eBay. Many went to the same bidder who was looking to complete their collection. And from what I gather through our correspondence, they went to a good home.

I am so sorry for your loss, your dad was a great man and amazingly helpful to many of us on the boards.

Back