QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Jayne Cobb

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad. I'd love to have another Firefly figure to display next to Mal, but looks like it's just not meant to be.

Hell, I was originally only interested in a Jayne or Zoe, but it's been so long I'd probably take any new figure they released.

I was onboard for every Firefly figure. I still re-watch the entire show at least once a year. Besides, my two Malcolm Reynolds are lonely...….

The hopes for anywhere near a full crew have sadly long since passed, but for me, Mal, Jayne and either River or Zoe would have made for a nice little representative group to have on display. Alas, seems it was just never destined to be.

Does that mean the Firefly 1/6 line is one-and-done with only Mal?

That's what it sounds like to me. Just saw someone on ebay selling the whole crew with the Trevor Grove heads. I was tempted to grab a couple of them. They were all nicely done, but the heads were just a tad over sized for the bodies.

Major disappointment, gorramit. Anyone remembers when they showed the Jayned head way back in 2014?

Major disappointment, gorramit. Anyone remembers when they showed the Jayned head way back in 2014?

That wasn't the head we ended up going with. Honestly I'd love to see Jayne made - and it's not off the table. We just aren't showing him this year.

That wasn't the head we ended up going with. Honestly I'd love to see Jayne made - and it's not off the table. We just aren't showing him this year.
Dave, that Jayne sculpt was fantastic IMO, and Jake, who is a great buddy of mine, made that thing shine with his paint. It seriously looked great. That's a shame you guys didn't go with it. I really hope you guys stay committed to the line. Mal was so fantastic and ended up being very worth the wait. Star Trek figs have been fantastic. People know they can expect quality from QMX at this point. I think you can count on a much larger, and more loyal following from here on out. Put some stock into the Firefly line, my man. You already know we are dying to see it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just saw someone on ebay selling the whole crew with the Trevor Grove heads. I was tempted to grab a couple of them. They were all nicely done, but the heads were just a tad over sized for the bodies.

That was me.

My father (known as Old Grandpa here on the boards) and I bought the whole crew that Trevor Grove generously sculpted several years back. My dad went further and bought both versions of the Inara and River heads. It was a great father and son project we worked on for quite awhile, a time that I will always cherish. He was a great resource in getting pieces for all of my figures and he helped out many fellow Freak Board members with their Firefly figures as well.

After my father passed away last year, I inherited his whole Firefly crew which were far superior to mine. He simply had more time and money to pour into them. Plus, we went to several Comic Cons showing them off to the cast who then signed the figure bases for him. That Firefly crew was his pride and joy. He even assembled a Wash figure and gave it Alan Tudyk. He later used that figure in his Con Man web series.
IMG_7424.jpg

So I found myself with two sets of Firefly figures with shelf space for only one. I decided to post them up on eBay. Many went to the same bidder who was looking to complete their collection. And from what I gather through our correspondence, they went to a good home.

Last edited:

I understand, and I'm aware that was Trevor's sculpt. My point was that people thought the figure would be released within a short time frame since the head was shown 4 years ago.

I really hope that at least QMX puts out a statement of the status of the line instead of keeping fans waiting. It's unfortunate because for one thing, Andy did owned up to the botched Mal heads and replaced it for free which I thought was commendable and without a doubt shows that they genuinely care. We've seen companies releasing figures with defective portraits but QMX was above that. A statement of any kind would certainly put a lot of speculation to rest.

That was me.

My father (known as Old Grandpa here on the boards) and I bought the whole crew that Trevor Grove generously sculpted several years back. My dad went further and bought both versions of the Inara and River heads. It was a great father and son project we worked on for quite awhile, a time that I will always cherish. He was a great resource in getting pieces for all of my figures and he helped out many fellow Freak Board members with their Firefly figures as well.

After my father passed away last year, I inherited his whole Firefly crew which were far superior to mine. He simply had more time and money to pour into them. Plus, we went to several Comic Cons showing them off to the cast who then signed the figure bases for him. That Firefly crew was his pride and joy. He even assembled a Wash figure and gave it Alan Tudyk. He later used that figure in his Con Man web series.
View attachment 416322

So I found myself with two sets of Firefly figures with shelf space for only one. I decided to post them up on eBay. Many went to the same bidder who was looking to complete their collection. And from what I gather through our correspondence, they went to a good home.

Awesome story, thanks for sharing !

I understand, and I'm aware that was Trevor's sculpt. My point was that people thought the figure would be released within a short time frame since the head was shown 4 years ago.

I really hope that at least QMX puts out a statement of the status of the line instead of keeping fans waiting. It's unfortunate because for one thing, Andy did owned up to the botched Mal heads and replaced it for free which I thought was commendable and without a doubt shows that they genuinely care. We've seen companies releasing figures with defective portraits but QMX was above that. A statement of any kind would certainly put a lot of speculation to rest.

aiKE0u6.gif

The company can push out Star Trek figures at a pretty quick rate. If the Firefly figures came out on the same schedule we'd damn near have the entire crew by now--instead, we're still waiting for the second figure with no idea if it's even coming.

It's been 4 years, I think it's pretty clear it's not coming.

I thought the line was done last year until I saw Jayne and Zoe on display at SDCC.

I'd think the $100 shipped fire sale for the Mal "signature" editions would be a sure sign of the lines death... that was a crazy price to see with the added signature plaque.

That was me.

View attachment 416322

Your dad really knew his stuff on those figures... I know I sought his advice on a few occasions. Sorry to hear of his passing.

I'd think the $100 shipped fire sale for the Mal "signature" editions would be a sure sign of the lines death... that was a crazy price to see with the added signature plaque.

Exactly. A lot of those Mal figures would probably have sold at full price when other characters were released and consumers had confidence in the line.

Back