PROTOTYPE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep me updated on which one you decide to get.

I actually just picked up SW: The Force Unleashed (price-drop recently) to tide me over. I also got Prototype as well, but I left it sealed until I finish SW.

I've been wanting Prototype since it was announced a year + ago, so of course I bought it. But after playing the Infamous demo a few days ago, I'm torn. I didn't think Infamous would be THAT fun to play. I'm contemplating exchanging Prototype for Infamous. As many have mentioned, the running around in Prototype gets repetitive, so that worries me. It's beginning to remind me of SM: Web of Shadows and other games with similar game play. Infamous seems to be a whole different scenario though. But now that I own SW: The Force Unleashed, I think I've had my fill of electricity flowing from my fingertips. (ie Sith lightning.)

I ended up getting both (my considerate girlfriend bought inFamous for me).

I wish I could clearly tell which is better, but both are flawed enough in their own ways that picking a clear-cut winner is difficult.

I've had inFamous crash on me twice already and a couple more times Cole glitched and got stuck onto a part of the environment. That's a big no no for me. Prototype never had these issues. It's not an isolated incident either if you've read some reviews.

Prototype is UGLY. The texture-work is often poor and the draw distance is lame. Imagine jumping off a roof of a skyscraper and seeing textures load in only about 20 feet away (in-game length, of course). It annoyed the ^^^^ out of me when I was attempting to find the orbs scattered around the city.

Prototype became repetitive very fast. Sure, there are tons of moves to unlock, but there are so many to remember that I ended up using a very small amount of them. It also doesn't help that most of the moves accomplish the same thing with little variance. What's even worst is that most of the missions in the game don't take advantage of Alex's unique selection of powers. It all feels generic.

InFamous's lightning powers never stopped being fun for me. Because you have the option to go light or dark, there's a definite meaningful variety of moves and THINGS TO ACTUALLY USE THEM FOR. I found myself saving a lot of civilians. Prototype doesn't offer that choice. It's just kill kill kill kill kill kill kill....

It is really fun to run and jump around in Prototype. You can cover a lot of ground by hopping from building to building. InFamous allows fast travel by hovering and grinding rail ways and power lines, but it never feels as fun as it is in Prototype. Cole (in InFamous) kinda "sticks" to the closest environmental object, sorta like a magnet. It helps when you need to make a tricky jump, but it becomes annoying very fast.

As for the story, I didn't care for either (I haven't finished Prototype yet, but I'm close), but I found Cole to be a better character than Alex. I don't really like either of them though, so it's like picking between getting kicked in the nuts or in the face.

I know my long rambling rant won't help you much, and it probably wouldn't help me choose either, but ultimately I think you'll enjoy Prototype for the first few hours while Infamous will entertain until you're done with it. It grows on you.

After 8 hours of in-game play and only half way through the missions, I can still say that Prototype is a bad ass game! I'm not sure to what Plasmid is talking about saying you can only see 20 feet away as I've not had this problem. The frame rate on my copy for the 360 at least seems about right and its very easy to see the orbs while flying over the buildings from much further than 20 feet away. Also, I wouldn't consider Prototype ugly, but its definitely not pretty either. For me the game play makes up for the poor graphics. As for the moves, many do accomplish the same goal, but some moves take longer to kill certain things so mixing it up is key to getting the job the done. Overall so far I'm very pleased with Prototype but I can't say which is better since I don't and will not ever own a PS3.

I just finished it, i enjoyed it but i was really annoyed with how many rockets i would cop straight in the ass when trying to consume a figure of interest lol

It was a good game but it was REALLY chaotic imo.

I played it for a few days, and there was just too much frustrating stuff. Trying to "infiltrate" a base was annoying. There were too many detector machines around, and even if you were disguised it would set off an alarm, and there were 40 guys shooting at you, giant machine guns trained on you, 3 tanks and 2 helicopters. . . it was just annoying.

I ended up getting both (my considerate girlfriend bought inFamous for me).

I wish I could clearly tell which is better, but both are flawed enough in their own ways that picking a clear-cut winner is difficult.

I've had inFamous crash on me twice already and a couple more times Cole glitched and got stuck onto a part of the environment. That's a big no no for me. Prototype never had these issues. It's not an isolated incident either if you've read some reviews.

Prototype is UGLY. The texture-work is often poor and the draw distance is lame. Imagine jumping off a roof of a skyscraper and seeing textures load in only about 20 feet away (in-game length, of course). It annoyed the ^^^^ out of me when I was attempting to find the orbs scattered around the city.

Prototype became repetitive very fast. Sure, there are tons of moves to unlock, but there are so many to remember that I ended up using a very small amount of them. It also doesn't help that most of the moves accomplish the same thing with little variance. What's even worst is that most of the missions in the game don't take advantage of Alex's unique selection of powers. It all feels generic.

InFamous's lightning powers never stopped being fun for me. Because you have the option to go light or dark, there's a definite meaningful variety of moves and THINGS TO ACTUALLY USE THEM FOR. I found myself saving a lot of civilians. Prototype doesn't offer that choice. It's just kill kill kill kill kill kill kill....

It is really fun to run and jump around in Prototype. You can cover a lot of ground by hopping from building to building. InFamous allows fast travel by hovering and grinding rail ways and power lines, but it never feels as fun as it is in Prototype. Cole (in InFamous) kinda "sticks" to the closest environmental object, sorta like a magnet. It helps when you need to make a tricky jump, but it becomes annoying very fast.

As for the story, I didn't care for either (I haven't finished Prototype yet, but I'm close), but I found Cole to be a better character than Alex. I don't really like either of them though, so it's like picking between getting kicked in the nuts or in the face.

I know my long rambling rant won't help you much, and it probably wouldn't help me choose either, but ultimately I think you'll enjoy Prototype for the first few hours while Infamous will entertain until you're done with it. It grows on you.

Thanks for the advice, Plasmid. I'm leaning towards taking this back. (It's still sealed.) This just doesn't seem like the kind of game I was hoping it would be initially. I REALLY like the concept, but the way it was executed isn't sitting well with me (ie the way you get around in the city, etc.) It just seems like this game gets repetitive after a while. Is that a fair assumption?

Thanks for the advice, Plasmid. I'm leaning towards taking this back. (It's still sealed.) This just doesn't seem like the kind of game I was hoping it would be initially. I REALLY like the concept, but the way it was executed isn't sitting well with me (ie the way you get around in the city, etc.) It just seems like this game gets repetitive after a while. Is that a fair assumption?

I'm 12 hours into this game and it hasn't got old yet. Once you beat the game and all the side missions and events it may get old, but I've heard it can take up to 50+ hours to do all that. I'm still very happy with my decision to buy this game. In fact, I haven't played anything else since I started playing.

I'm 12 hours into this game and it hasn't got old yet. Once you beat the game and all the side missions and events it may get old, but I've heard it can take up to 50+ hours to do all that. I'm still very happy with my decision to buy this game. In fact, I haven't played anything else since I started playing.

I know this will be a loose comparison, but I mentioned it once before. Is the game play similar to Spider-Man: Web of Shadows? I love the Spider-Man games and exploring etc, but I'm always said to myself, SM is the ONLY game that I feel pulled this type of game play off well. That's because it was Spider-Man. :lol Anything other character or theme, I would have dropped the game in a heartbeat.

I know this will be a loose comparison, but I mentioned it once before. Is the game play similar to Spider-Man: Web of Shadows? I love the Spider-Man games and exploring etc, but I'm always said to myself, SM is the ONLY game that I feel pulled this type of game play off well. That's because it was Spider-Man. :lol Anything other character or theme, I would have dropped the game in a heartbeat.

I've never played any of the Spider-Man games. It reminds me of the Incredible Hulk game that came out (not sure which one as I only played the demo). In fact if I'm not mistaken, Prototype is made by the same people that made that Hulk game. To me, grabbing a pedestrian, and throwing them a few hundred feet into a helicopter never gets old. This game has its faults and those come more apparent after playing the game for several hours. Any game that I can get 10+ hours of enjoyment out of is a must buy.

Prototype (Last Boss) Stuck on Greene!!! Help!

Could anyone help me ont his?

Im on normal difficulty, are there any cheats, tips or tricks?

:banghead:banghead:banghead

I've read you can get this game at Sam's Club for $23 bucks. Is it worth the pick up?

Worth the pick up for $23...hell, I bought it for $60 and I loved it...great for a couple of play thrus at least (20+ hours)

actually i believe in terms of sales prototype outsold infamous by a lot, mainly because it was multi-platform though, so a bigger install base. gameplay wise *shrugs* thats up to opinion. I enjoyed em both.

The reviews were far better in Infamous' favor.

Infamous was released at the end of May, and the game sold 175,900 copies on its opening week, recorded in May 2009 sales according to the NPD Group,[45] and sold 192,700 copies over the month of June 2009, the 10th highest-selling game that month.

I don't know Prototypes numbers.

Back