Prometheus Sequel (ALIEN: Covenant)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prometheus Sequel (2017)

Like we said - "interesting" :)

Did you watch the regular releases or the extended? The extended version of A3 (in particular) is a huge improvement (our current fave of them all).

:lol:lol

You should have seen my reviews of Jurassic World and Jurassic Park haha.

I watched all films either in Director's Cut or extended. I might try regular but I don't think it'll be desirable for me.

Like I said, Alien 3 wasn't bad for me. It had shortcomings but it's a solid flick. As I mentioned with Alien, I don't like too much effects especially in the older movies were it can look awkward after being spoiled with CGI (this I mean of myself). So all the aliens running upside down and so on just wasn't my thing. It was cool to see some alluded deaths in the sense of Alien and Aliens.

Resurrection also wasn't too bad, but some of the dialogue is awkward. And while I love Ripley, I really don't see her character needed after 3. I guess 3 was good in the sense to get closure of Hicks and Newt; but still don't see why her specifically being cloned is essential. Especially after 200 years.

I had an idea for Alien 5 but honestly the only way to fix the series is to do **** that would just be a turn off, like time travel or something. It's a cheap writing move, but if it will over line what happened in 3 and 4; I'm for it. But like with Prometheus, you can tell how even writing a "prequel" has had issues lining up with the first.

Still enjoy Prometheus, but probably for other reasons. I suppose one could say I'm just not a huge fan of the Alien series to understand why Prometheus has problems.

Alien 3, the directors cut is pretty great imo, it gets a tough time unfairly. It is also as close to the original Alien as we've seen yet. I don't mind resurrection, I watch it every now and then, but it isn't even in the same league as the other three.

Hurt pulling off the chestburster was fantastic acting. Also loved how true the emotions displayed by everyone during that scene.

You may already be aware as it's one of the more famous bits of trivia about the film but other than Hurt the actors actually weren't told about the chestburster prior to the cameras rolling for that scene. So what you saw were their genuine reactions.

Yeah, all they knew was that for some reason, all of the crew were holding umbrellas ;)

Don't believe anything Scott says. He is notorious for talking cod**** and adding project after project to his list, that only get delayed again and again. He is the President of Development Hell!

Scott lied because he had no idea What he was doing.
What he is saying now about the sequel is exactly What he said about Prometheus eons ago, xeno being bioweapons done by who, and for What...
Who cares we basically already know that...

I'll take that over Kubrick's apes of 2001.

I'm interested in the title. If it has a Milton's Paradise Lost sort of angle, I'll be completely sold. I didn't mind Prometheus. To be fair though, I saw the film before watching Alien Quad. Never seen an alien movie til last yet

Well at least it was a bold concept at the time, 47 years ago... Scott pathetic try to copy and past it to Alien universe was flawed and lazy.
Paradise lost angle can be great if done right, but they Will have nor a good script nor the means.
We Will end up once more with 1/2engineers, humans and an empty planet.
This should be Avatar, lord of the rings levels, intergalactique war between gods... Cheap ass mother****ers...

:lol:lol

You should have seen my reviews of Jurassic World and Jurassic Park haha.

I watched all films either in Director's Cut or extended. I might try regular but I don't think it'll be desirable for me.

Like I said, Alien 3 wasn't bad for me. It had shortcomings but it's a solid flick. As I mentioned with Alien, I don't like too much effects especially in the older movies were it can look awkward after being spoiled with CGI (this I mean of myself). So all the aliens running upside down and so on just wasn't my thing. It was cool to see some alluded deaths in the sense of Alien and Aliens.

Resurrection also wasn't too bad, but some of the dialogue is awkward. And while I love Ripley, I really don't see her character needed after 3. I guess 3 was good in the sense to get closure of Hicks and Newt; but still don't see why her specifically being cloned is essential. Especially after 200 years.

I had an idea for Alien 5 but honestly the only way to fix the series is to do **** that would just be a turn off, like time travel or something. It's a cheap writing move, but if it will over line what happened in 3 and 4; I'm for it. But like with Prometheus, you can tell how even writing a "prequel" has had issues lining up with the first.

Still enjoy Prometheus, but probably for other reasons. I suppose one could say I'm just not a huge fan of the Alien series to understand why Prometheus has problems.

You should watch the theatrical cut of Alien. It's superior to the DC IMO. As a matter of fact, I think Scott only did it as an exercise, but has always been quite content with the original cut (other than a few comments about the pacing being slow at the beginning).

Alien 3, the directors cut is pretty great imo, it gets a tough time unfairly. It is also as close to the original Alien as we've seen yet. I don't mind resurrection, I watch it every now and then, but it isn't even in the same league as the other three.
Since I haven't compared it to the theatrical, for the moment I still really enjoy the film. I really didn't understand the mass bashing and hating of 3 and 4. Pretty solid in my books.

You may already be aware as it's one of the more famous bits of trivia about the film but other than Hurt the actors actually weren't told about the chestburster prior to the cameras rolling for that scene. So what you saw were their genuine reactions.
Yeah, lol, I read about that on IMDb. I think after reading that, I especially enjoyed the film. It was such a crazy scene.

Well at least it was a bold concept at the time, 47 years ago... Scott pathetic try to copy and past it to Alien universe was flawed and lazy.
Paradise lost angle can be great if done right, but they Will have nor a good script nor the means.
We Will end up once more with 1/2engineers, humans and an empty planet.
This should be Avatar, lord of the rings levels, intergalactique war between gods... Cheap ass mother****ers...
I can see what you mean about the copy and paste. It could have been much better with a bit more subtle gestures and easter eggs.

I don't think he'll pull it off, but it'd be interesting to see that kind of idea. Maybe why the creation of Alien was more to cleanse any being that is inferior to them; like a maniacal but misunderstood Engineer. Or could be some other race, or something. Kind of give it that Lucifer angle.
I'm hoping The Martian might change it up. That crew would be awesome in a film though; Chastain, Damon, Mara, Pena and so on.

You should watch the theatrical cut of Alien. It's superior to the DC IMO. As a matter of fact, I think Scott only did it as an exercise, but has always been quite content with the original cut (other than a few comments about the pacing being slow at the beginning).

I will have to give that a try, thanks for the suggestion. Need another reason to watch the film. :lol

Since I haven't compared it to the theatrical, for the moment I still really enjoy the film. I really didn't understand the mass bashing and hating of 3 and 4. Pretty solid in my books.

Yeah, lol, I read about that on IMDb. I think after reading that, I especially enjoyed the film. It was such a crazy scene.

I can see what you mean about the copy and paste. It could have been much better with a bit more subtle gestures and easter eggs.

I don't think he'll pull it off, but it'd be interesting to see that kind of idea. Maybe why the creation of Alien was more to cleanse any being that is inferior to them; like a maniacal but misunderstood Engineer. Or could be some other race, or something. Kind of give it that Lucifer angle.
I'm hoping The Martian might change it up. That crew would be awesome in a film though; Chastain, Damon, Mara, Pena and so on.

I will have to give that a try, thanks for the suggestion. Need another reason to watch the film. :lol

A3 got a lot of hate because every fanboy wanted another gung-ho 'Nam in Space action flick. I love it, I think with all its shortcomings, it's better than Aliens.
A:R got a lot of hate because it's a dark comedy, and I don't think it was what most people wanted.
Personally, I find it the weakest of the four by far. BTW, the Special Edition doesn't even have finished effects. Did you watch that one? Again, Jeunet was perfectly happy with the theatrical cut.

A3 got a lot of hate because every fanboy wanted another gung-ho 'Nam in Space action flick. I love it, I think with all its shortcomings, it's better than Aliens.

Well it's true that that is essentially why people hated Alien 3 and realising that fact is a reason now not to hate Alien 3 and to respect it. However it's not a reason to downgrade Aliens. Aliens made the deliberate and bold move to be a very different film from the first. They specifically talk about that in interviews at the time - it was thought that simply rehashing Alien would have been a bad move and been dismissed by audiences. Aliens was the success it was because of how different it decided to be.

Some say they prefer Alien 3 because it's more similar to the first film - that very thing is why the series might have died after 2 films if Alien 3 had actually been Alien 2. Alien 3 owes its existence to Aliens as much as Aliens owes itself to Alien. And it follows the idea set up in Aliens about the Queen egg-layer - so while yes it goes back to just one Alien, it hasn't dropped the 'bug' angle that some criticise Aliens for. And the creature only resumes the fear factor of the original Alien due to circumstance - they have no guns to easily kill it with.

I guess what I'm saying if I boil it down - Alien 3 isn't better than Aliens, but it's a good film. It's a real Alien film to me, and the last one we got. My hope for Blomkamp's film is that it'll be another good alternative sequel to Aliens, enabling me to watch the series in two different ways.

A:R got a lot of hate because it's a dark comedy, and I don't think it was what most people wanted.
Personally, I find it the weakest of the four by far.

Agreed. It has nothing redeemable about it IMO.

Personally, I find it the weakest of the four by far. BTW, the Special Edition doesn't even have finished effects. Did you watch that one? Again, Jeunet was perfectly happy with the theatrical cut.

****, never considered that. I just kind of viewed it like any survival movie; take down the ****ing bad guy. The concept of military troops taking out Xenos went over my head (Not really, just the end game was still Ripley with a handful of people against a Xeno).

Maybe I was tired from the marathon, but I didn't really see it as a comedy; but I understand what you mean. Gonna have to give that one another go. I think this film kind of put me off with the "Firefly" TV series, although it is Whedon so it makes sense...

I'm pretty sure I watched whatever other version that wasn't theatrical. I'm gonna give it a go, for Alien and A:R

What do you guys think of the agent9 Prometheus fancut?
Makes the movie more bearable in my opinion.

I don't know if people wanted a copy and paste of Aliens with Alien 3, but they certainly expected a continuation of the story and character arcs. The primary reason people were p****d off from the outset was the casual killing off of Hicks and Newt off camera. They were two characters people had come to care about during the course of the second movie and they were erased from the equation as though they were utterly inconsequenial, simply to start from scratch again with Sigourney and a solitary alien and a load of new characters no one gave a toss about.

For someone to seriously claim Alien 3 is "better than Aliens" shocks me to be honest. I know we all have our own tastes but I don't see how anyone can view it as anything but a pale imitation of the real deal. It's simply an attempt to revert back to the more supensful tone of the original without actually bothering to implant any suspense at all. It's a visually interesting film, full of muddled ideas, unlikeable characters and one practically disowned by the director himself.

Agreed. It has nothing redeemable about it IMO.

you forgot about them chicken legs. :lecture
AR026.jpg

Its_got_chicken_legs_wallpaper_by_lonewolf20.jpg

+40 redeemable points.

that new born shat....minus 80 redeemable points.

Back