Possible Hot Toys DC TV license?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh I'd prefer it if they just stuck with the movie versions. HT already get enough flak for concentrating too much on Marvel, Star Wars and DC, the last thing they need is to delve into these TV shows as well.

We'll be bombarded with Justice League figures in the next few years and then they'll probably re do Green Lantern and then they'll do Supergirl and it will just go on and on.

Tbh I'd prefer it if they just stuck with the movie versions. HT already get enough flak for concentrating too much on Marvel, Star Wars and DC, the last thing they need is to delve into these TV shows as well.

We'll be bombarded with Justice League figures in the next few years and then they'll probably re do Green Lantern and then they'll do Supergirl and it will just go on and on.

They haven't focused on DC for a long while. The most recent one was batman returns. Before that, John Blake.

And that's what's sad, for me at least. It's always marvel. Where muh DC at yo?! That's why a DCTV line is enticing. You can basically form your own version of the JL. Yeah well be getting that in a years time...but the TV verse has great designs and filled with a great cast. It may be DC, but it's variety IMO.

They haven't focused on DC for a long while. The most recent one was batman returns. Before that, John Blake.

And that's what's sad, for me at least. It's always marvel. Where muh DC at yo?! That's why a DCTV line is enticing. You can basically form your own version of the JL. Yeah well be getting that in a years time...but the TV verse has great designs and filled with a great cast. It may be DC, but it's variety IMO.
Yeah but they focussed heavily on DC when TDK trilogy was around and that only finished in 2012. How many versions of Heath Ledger Joker was there again? Before all the Iron Man hate it was Joker hate lol. Now we'll get yet another Joker when Suicide Squad comes out.

I also think it's funny people are already bashing Ezra being the Flash before he's had a chance to play the character. I remember when Arrow was first announced and people thought the guy that played him in Smallville should have been given the role, yet later people forgot all about him and accepted the new guy.

Yeah but they focussed heavily on DC when TDK trilogy was around and that only finished in 2012. How many versions of Heath Ledger Joker was there again? Before all the Iron Man hate it was Joker hate lol. Now we'll get yet another Joker when Suicide Squad comes out.

I also think it's funny people are already bashing Ezra being the Flash before he's had a chance to play the character. I remember when Arrow was first announced and people thought the guy that played him in Smallville should have been given the role, yet later people forgot all about him and accepted the new guy.

To be fair, the TDK trilogy wasn't obnoxious with its releases considering how the movies were spaced out. Marvel on the other hand has something every year. 2-3 movies if I'm not mistaken. So there is a bit of over saturation with marvel...and it doesn't help when there are MULTIPLE versions of one character due to costume change.

Just don't buy them. I, for one, would welcome the TV versions. I would love to have several characters as licensed figures that no other company is making. Flash, Supergirl, and Daredevil are essentials for my collection that I've waited years to get a good quality 1/6 figure of.

Just don't buy them. I, for one, would welcome the TV versions. I would love to have several characters as licensed figures that no other company is making. Flash, Supergirl, and Daredevil are essentials for my collection that I've waited years to get a good quality 1/6 figure of.
Doesnt have to be HT though does it? Plenty of other companies around that can produce good quality figures.

To be fair, the TDK trilogy wasn't obnoxious with its releases considering how the movies were spaced out. Marvel on the other hand has something every year. 2-3 movies if I'm not mistaken. So there is a bit of over saturation with marvel...and it doesn't help when there are MULTIPLE versions of one character due to costume change.
It is over saturation and I can see the same thing happening with the DCCU as well lol. We'll probably be all over comic book heroes in the next 5 years.

Doesnt have to be HT though does it? Plenty of other companies around that can produce good quality figures.

No, it doesn't have to be Hot Toys, although I'd prefer licensed figures to unlicensed as they tend to look better. If not Hot Toys, I'd love for ThreeZero or even Sideshow to do them.

Yes please. Really need a good flash, arrow and Supergirl in my collection stat!

They have not focused on DC Becuase DC had nearly no films going. I've been saying for a couple years that the amount of figures was only weighted to marvel due to marvel having the most content. One terminator film(two if you go back to salvation) one predator film one DC film and like 8 marvel movies. They have gone further back for predator and alien and DC then marvel. Marvel has a fair bit of older film catalog. Not very good stuff for the most part, but it's there. But they have not needed to go into it.

DC has gotten figures from 50 year old movies ( west batman) and movies from the 70s and 80s. But now that DC has a movie release schedule on par with marvel there's going to be a lot more DC. We have already seen 5 figures up for BvS (superman, normal batman, chrome armor bats, normal armor bats, Wonder Woman) and two or three other protos teased(batmobile, nightmare, bat signal). I can only think of three or four other films that have gotten that many figures and the films still in theaters.

It would seem to be a really bad time to throw in more DC figures given the amount that's coming from film. You would think had they wanted to do it they would have done so before.

There's at least 6 huge ensemble films between DC and marvel in the next few years. Justice league 1&2, infinity war 1&2, suicide squad and civil war. Throw in Thor 3 and spiderman that will probably get multiple figures and there are a lot of potential figures coming already. Very very few people will buy them all so most people will need to sacrifice and business wise there's not a lot of upside in splitting the customer base up further by trying unproven figures from an unproven genre.

They have not focused on DC Becuase DC had nearly no films going. I've been saying for a couple years that the amount of figures was only weighted to marvel due to marvel having the most content. One terminator film(two if you go back to salvation) one predator film one DC film and like 8 marvel movies. They have gone further back for predator and alien and DC then marvel. Marvel has a fair bit of older film catalog. Not very good stuff for the most part, but it's there. But they have not needed to go into it.

DC has gotten figures from 50 year old movies ( west batman) and movies from the 70s and 80s. But now that DC has a movie release schedule on par with marvel there's going to be a lot more DC. We have already seen 5 figures up for BvS (superman, normal batman, chrome armor bats, normal armor bats, Wonder Woman) and two or three other protos teased(batmobile, nightmare, bat signal). I can only think of three or four other films that have gotten that many figures and the films still in theaters.

It would seem to be a really bad time to throw in more DC figures given the amount that's coming from film. You would think had they wanted to do it they would have done so before.

There's at least 6 huge ensemble films between DC and marvel in the next few years. Justice league 1&2, infinity war 1&2, suicide squad and civil war. Throw in Thor 3 and spiderman that will probably get multiple figures and there are a lot of potential figures coming already. Very very few people will buy them all so most people will need to sacrifice and business wise there's not a lot of upside in splitting the customer base up further by trying unproven figures from an unproven genre.

Honestly they still have shafted DC a tiny bit when it comes to releases. Yes their film output hasn't been as much, but they have some DC licenses that could've pulled them sales that they just stopped on without giving figures that would have sold- Arkham City Joker, Arkham City Harley, tons of other characters from the Arkham licenses including at least three other Batmans and possible variants from the skin packs in the games and villains/sidekicks etc, then you have an incomplete 66 Batman line where we got West and Ward and nothing else, Batgirl, Joker, other villains like Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman etc and a car they made a proto for and never released, and last but not least the Burton films which we still don't have the Penguin and Catwoman after the license was announced years ago. I collect figures from both DC and Marvel based properties, but I pick and choose the characters I buy so it wouldn't be a question of dividing the fanbase from my opinion, as I'm sure there's a lot of other collectors like me that will buy only certain characters/lines and avoid others. Honestly the bigger selection of characters/versions/and options available the more profit they'll make from fans.

I disagree that the customer base will be split. There's no evidence in the "history" of DOLL collecting to prove otherwise. So let's just call it what it is: a company that plays it safe by continually dipping it's hand in the cookie jar. HT aren't the only ones doing this. That's why we have so many effin call of duties out there. But it doesn't make it any less boring.

Hot Toys doesn't even do their DC movie licenses justice in terms of selection and offerings anymore. We're lucky to have even seen Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. What chance would The Flash, and Arrow, and Supergirl have? :lol

Hot Toys has peaked and they don't take chances anymore. Lately, they only seem to do things that are relevant to whatever is currently trending. They're not pushing the envelope as they once did. There's nothing radical about their sculpts, design, accuracy and paint work like there once was. They're puckering out. Look how quickly the Star Wars crap was exhausted to make way for BvS and Civil War. Oh it'll be back, probably this summer for the Rogue One hype, but nothing big. They're basically a subset marketing company used to sell dolls to promote their licensees films. Look at this tacky life size BS they do now. They basically make marquees. :lol

Can't diss them too much though when you look back at their massive catalog. It is impressive what they achieved over the years.

Last edited:
Hot Toys doesn't even do their DC movie licenses justicein terms of selection and offerings anymore. We're lucky to have even seen Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. What chance would The Flash, and Arrow, and Supergirl have? :lol

Hot Toys has peaked and they don't take chances anymore. Lately, they only seem to do things that are relevant to whatever is currently trending. They're not pushing the envelope as they once did. There's nothing radical about their sculpts, design, accuracy and paint work like there once were. They're puckering out.

Look how quickly the Star Wars crap was exhausted to make way for BvS and Civil War. Oh it'll be back, probably this summer for the Rogue One hype, but nothing big. They're basically a subset marketing company used to sell dolls to promote their licensees films.

It's particularly unnerving when they've reused the same HS for THREE separate releases. Slap a new paint job on it, charge $250 and call it a day.

And that's my issue with HT. like you said, they pushed the envelope before. That was when they were a hungry company. Now they're full. They're dominant in the sixth scale market, no need to step outta the circle anymore. It's BORING.

Iron studios picked up the entire DC license. So could get tv stuff from them...

As for the "hot toys doesn't take chances" line...or now they only go after what's popular...as if they where doing some out of left field Insane stuff before. It's always been about what they can sell. They have gotten heavier into DC and marvel over the years because those companies have gotten more involved in the entertainment industry. In 2005 or 06 or 07 there wasn't a ton of genre type films they could pull from. And it's those "popular" marvel and DC films(Nolans) that pushed hot toys from a small niche regional company to where they are. The whole argument your presenting is flawed. It's like telling Lebron to give up basketball because he also used to play football and your a football fan and just want him to play that instead. They became what they are by doing "popular" franchises (for collectors) and now hey should change because a few people think it's boring? Right. Makes sense. Apple should make shoes. Nike should produce cars.

And it's not like they don't take chances time to time. The 66 batman figures. The Ichobod crane figure. Three in the last few years. Panzer figure. There very first mms was a figure from alien and what did they just announce? Another alien figure. So it doesn't look like they have strayed that far. They just added the new stuff that entered the industry, like marvel. They have made figures from resident evil and terminator and predator and alien and back to the future and robocop and batman returns in the last two years. Throw in iron man and that accounts for nearly every figure in the first 150 (minus rocky and Rambo films). So the whole idea that they have stopped doing what they did to start with is just flat wrong. They just added more to it. It's not hot toys fault that here have only been a couple predator films (all got figures) no alien, one robocop ect. As far as figures go...not much risk in making those so the change to risk is not there. They are making the same stuff. They have just used up a lot of the older licenses...tried it as it where. There have been like 12 marvel films and 5 DC films since the "old days". Not a surprise that they have more content

Iron studios picked up the entire DC license. So could get tv stuff from them...

As for the "hot toys doesn't take chances" line...or now they only go after what's popular...as if they where doing some out of left field Insane stuff before. It's always been about what they can sell. They have gotten heavier into DC and marvel over the years because those companies have gotten more involved in the entertainment industry. In 2005 or 06 or 07 there wasn't a ton of genre type films they could pull from. And it's those "popular" marvel and DC films(Nolans) that pushed hot toys from a small niche regional company to where they are. The whole argument your presenting is flawed. It's like telling Lebron to give up basketball because he also used to play football and your a football fan and just want him to play that instead. They became what they are by doing "popular" franchises (for collectors) and now hey should change because a few people think it's boring? Right. Makes sense. Apple should make shoes. Nike should produce cars.

And it's not like they don't take chances time to time. The 66 batman figures. The Ichobod crane figure. Three in the last few years. Panzer figure. There very first mms was a figure from alien and what did they just announce? Another alien figure. So it doesn't look like they have strayed that far. They just added the new stuff that entered the industry, like marvel. They have made figures from resident evil and terminator and predator and alien and back to the future and robocop and batman returns in the last two years. Throw in iron man and that accounts for nearly every figure in the first 150 (minus rocky and Rambo films). So the whole idea that they have stopped doing what they did to start with is just flat wrong. They just added more to it. It's not hot toys fault that here have only been a couple predator films (all got figures) no alien, one robocop ect. As far as figures go...not much risk in making those so the change to risk is not there. They are making the same stuff. They have just used up a lot of the older licenses...tried it as it where. There have been like 12 marvel films and 5 DC films since the "old days". Not a surprise that they have more content

The fact you bumped this after A whole month truly proves you need to have the last word when "slander" or "criticisms" about HT are said.

STOP.

you wanna talk about flawed Argument? Read the last section of your first paragraph. What the **** are you trying to compare here? Lebron and football?

You need to stop typing. Seriously. Turn off the computer for awhile, and think about what you are trying to achieve.

And yes, thank you for repeating what I said that iron man and batman put them where they are. Yea. Thank you. I know. I know because I was the one that said it dozens of times.

And?

Taking risks is what got them where they are today as well. Getting the DC license to produce superman returns and batman begins back in 05-06 wasn't cheap especially since they were still a start up company...sounds like a risk to me. Getting the iron man license back in 08 sounds like a risk to me. TDK? Same ****. And whooaaa....look at where they are now. Getting Johnny depp license to make figures of him as a singing barber?? Sounds like a stupid risk to me and thankfully it failed. Getting RE4 as their first videogame license in an unknown and unproven market? SOUNDS LIKE A RISK TO ME. And it PAID OFF.

You need to stop defending hot toys. You're not on their payroll. I along with many others like HT craftsmanship and want to see DCTV figures from them. You come in and say no that's impossible and doesn't make any sense for them because they are too awesome and Howard chan is my lord (I also very much would like them to hire me)

on one hand I'm kinda glad you bought this thread up again...why? Because I want to take this chance to once again prove you WRONG. You said licensing is in the millions? I SAW the behind the toy scenes documentary. BULL-****ING-****. It was a million...IN HKD. HONG KONG DOLLARS. do the conversion. Every USD equates to about 7.7 HKD. Here's my proof for those that are always misinformed by you countless times:

Was this the documentary you saw? Tell me, where does it say a million in USD?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsaOvLc17Y

So my suspicions were RIGHT. It doesn't cost an astronomical dollar amount to acquire the licenses. And to think I was "corrected" by you previously.

Motux...I will no longer reply to you ever. Time and time again you make false claims. On top of which, you endlessly edit your posts and twist it into something that doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever. I'm done with you and your Schtick. No doubt you'll try and get this post deleted because you'll think it's "attacking you" and can't handle it. Go on ahead. It won't stop me from sending this post as a PM to others here that see you for what you are.

You.are.ignored.

Toyzhobby posted this pic today, it was then shared by Mark and One Sixth Republic. Can someone translate if they can make anything out?
12592627_1010877552324466_933648523428088594_n.jpg

Ooooh, I'd be all over a Hot Toys version of TV Green Arrow, Flash and Supergirl.

And that's exactly what I'll be doing if HT gets the DCTV license. I'll get their Flash, Green Arrow and Supergirl to go with BvS Superman, BvS Wonder Woman and a DKT Batman.

The fact you bumped this after A whole month truly proves you need to have the last word when "slander" or "criticisms" about HT are said.

STOP.

you wanna talk about flawed Argument? Read the last section of your first paragraph. What the **** are you trying to compare here? Lebron and football?

You need to stop typing. Seriously. Turn off the computer for awhile, and think about what you are trying to achieve.

And yes, thank you for repeating what I said that iron man and batman put them where they are. Yea. Thank you. I know. I know because I was the one that said it dozens of times.

And?

Taking risks is what got them where they are today as well. Getting the DC license to produce superman returns and batman begins back in 05-06 wasn't cheap especially since they were still a start up company...sounds like a risk to me. Getting the iron man license back in 08 sounds like a risk to me. TDK? Same ****. And whooaaa....look at where they are now. Getting Johnny depp license to make figures of him as a singing barber?? Sounds like a stupid risk to me and thankfully it failed. Getting RE4 as their first videogame license in an unknown and unproven market? SOUNDS LIKE A RISK TO ME. And it PAID OFF.

You need to stop defending hot toys. You're not on their payroll. I along with many others like HT craftsmanship and want to see DCTV figures from them. You come in and say no that's impossible and doesn't make any sense for them because they are too awesome and Howard chan is my lord (I also very much would like them to hire me)

on one hand I'm kinda glad you bought this thread up again...why? Because I want to take this chance to once again prove you WRONG. You said licensing is in the millions? I SAW the behind the toy scenes documentary. BULL-****ING-****. It was a million...IN HKD. HONG KONG DOLLARS. do the conversion. Every USD equates to about 7.7 HKD. Here's my proof for those that are always misinformed by you countless times:

Was this the documentary you saw? Tell me, where does it say a million in USD?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsaOvLc17Y

So my suspicions were RIGHT. It doesn't cost an astronomical dollar amount to acquire the licenses. And to think I was "corrected" by you previously.

Motux...I will no longer reply to you ever. Time and time again you make false claims. On top of which, you endlessly edit your posts and twist it into something that doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever. I'm done with you and your Schtick. No doubt you'll try and get this post deleted because you'll think it's "attacking you" and can't handle it. Go on ahead. It won't stop me from sending this post as a PM to others here that see you for what you are.

You.are.ignored.

I don't know if that's the video I posted before or not. I'm not gonna sit and watch the whole thing. But even if that film says a license is 1,000,000hkd...that's 125-130k usd. That's just to get the marble license. Then you need each films license. So let's go with those numbers. That's a couple hundred thousand dollars before to even start. That isn't enough money to have to pay just to make the figures?

That's not including the man power to do the deal. The lawyers to do negotiations. The ongoing cost to communicate with marvel and do approvals and changes. And that fee has to be repaid over and over. And all of that is before you even get to the cost to actually make the figures.

But sure, it's not a big cost. Yep. I bet your complaining about a 20 dollar increase in cost but call a quarter million "not" a lot. I'm glad your not replying to me.

Edit-I just watched most the vid. No that's not the video I was talking about but it has some of the same stuff. The stats are different and there's other differences. But it's still gives you an idea what happens.

The amount mentioned for licenses is just what it cost to buy the rights to make marvel products. Each film or show(season of each) has its own cost. So you get a marvel film license and then each film has to then be aquired. Those films can cost more then the entire overall license. Just depends on the film. And again, there's "maintance" costs for it like sending each proto out for approvals and every item has to be approved. Boxes too.

So yes, licensing is actually expensive. But don't take my word..here's Howard chans

So...not so cheap huh? But I'm sure you are right. What would Howard chan know about licensing.

Chan says these licensing deals still don’t come easily. Buying the rights to make Star Wars collectibles, for example, cost more than six figures in US dollars.

"It took half a year of negotiations before we got the licence,” Chan says. “The collectibles market is an important one and they were making sequels, so it took a very long time.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back