Possible Hot Toys DC TV license?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get that post... Why wouldn't they move? Dude, we got TV abroad! Shhhh! Prejudices....:slap

Oh I didn't mean it like that at all. My wife isn't American. What I meant was from what I had come to understand, the TV stuff was a lower priority overseas because it isn't as popular there. That's what I mean by wouldn't move. I'm sure there would be folks there that would love it but I know CW and Netflix are not everywhere and they're just starting to get some of those shows in other countries. I meant no disrespect whatsoever, my friend :)

Oh I didn't mean it like that at all. My wife isn't American. What I meant was from what I had come to understand, the TV stuff was a lower priority overseas because it isn't as popular there. That's what I mean by wouldn't move. I'm sure there would be folks there that would love it but I know CW and Netflix are not everywhere and they're just starting to get some of those shows in other countries. I meant no disrespect whatsoever, my friend :)

All is good, buddy, don't worry!:)

But you're wrong I think. I've read somewhere that Netflix operates in about 180 countries. As far as the CW, no, they don't, but they sell their licenses to local TVs, so, things may be delayed, but usually, a lot of stuff is available almost everywhere, at least in Europe. Besides, with the Internet, I don't think anything is unavailable anymore. I personnaly didn't subscribe to Netflix because I have a lot of other services and well, all of this is starting to be very expensive, but still, Daredevil can be found on any streaming platform...

However, I think you are right about one thing. Some fellow collectors only collect movie stuff and turn a blind eye to TV. So I'm pretty sure that, indeed, those wouldn't move as well as a Batman or Iron Man line!:duff

All is good, buddy, don't worry!:)

But you're wrong I think. I've read somewhere that Netflix operates in about 180 countries. As far as the CW, no, they don't, but they sell their licenses to local TVs, so, things may be delayed, but usually, a lot of stuff is available almost everywhere, at least in Europe. Besides, with the Internet, I don't think anything is unavailable anymore. I personnaly didn't subscribe to Netflix because I have a lot of other services and well, all of this is starting to be very expensive, but still, Daredevil can be found on any streaming platform...

However, I think you are right about one thing. Some fellow collectors only collect movie stuff and turn a blind eye to TV. So I'm pretty sure that, indeed, those wouldn't move as well as a Batman or Iron Man line!:duff

I think some people are severely underestimating exposure of Western Tv shows and their popularity outside of the US. I lived in China for over 6 years, and if they're anything to go by, a DCTV line would be very well received all because of the Internet and comic book movie boom. Plenty of people in China, through the Internet have watched arrow, flash, and agents of shield. It's the only way for them to watch them. So that shows there's a market for a DCTV or marvelflix ine.

I think some people are severely underestimating exposure of Western Tv shows and their popularity outside of the US. I lived in China for over 6 years, and if they're anything to go by, a DCTV line would be very well received all because of the Internet and comic book movie boom. Plenty of people in China, through the Internet have watched arrow, flash, and agents of shield. It's the only way for them to watch them. So that shows there's a market for a DCTV or marvelflix ine.

Another factor you have to look at is the characters marketability. Even if the movie-only collectors pass on these, certain characters will still sell good due to them being Marvel or DC brand. Comic book fans, fans of Marvel or DC in general, and fans wanting to collect whole universes from one of those two companies would still buy them up. While Arrow and Jessica Jones might not be huge sellers due to being lower tier characters, you can bet characters like Daredevil, Flash, and Supergirl would sell in huge numbers just because they're A and B list heavy-hitters from Marvel and DC and sorely lacking in 1/6 figure representation.

Another factor you have to look at is the characters marketability. Even if the movie-only collectors pass on these, certain characters will still sell good due to them being Marvel or DC brand. Comic book fans, fans of Marvel or DC in general, and fans wanting to collect whole universes from one of those two companies would still buy them up. While Arrow and Jessica Jones might not be huge sellers due to being lower tier characters, you can bet characters like Daredevil, Flash, and Supergirl would sell in huge numbers just because their A and B list heavy-hitters from Marvel and DC and sorely lacking in 1/6 figure representation.

I agree with everything you said except for the arrow part. I think Arrow will sell huge numbers because he's the one that kicked off the DCTv verse. If some don't recognize that, he'll still sell well because out of the entire line, he's the only one (so far) that comes packed with accessories. Also, even if he's viewed as lower tier, it shouldn't affect his sales because I'm betting that a good portion of buyers will get him so they can complete the DCTv ensemble.

I agree with everything you said except for the arrow part. I think Arrow will sell huge numbers because he's the one that kicked off the DCTv verse. If some don't recognize that, he'll still sell well because out of the entire line, he's the only one (so far) that comes packed with accessories. Also, even if he's viewed as lower tier, it shouldn't affect his sales because I'm betting that a good portion of buyers will get him so they can complete the DCTv ensemble.

Oh I wasn't downing Arrow as a character in general. Just making a guess on which ones would pull lower sales' numbers should they decide to make figures based on tv properties. I'd personally buy Arrow, Arsenal, and whichever Canary got made to put with my DC figures. I just assumed that Flash, Daredevil, and Supergirl would be the larger sellers, the first two cause they're A listers who are easily recognizable and have no 1/6 figures of them made even though they're requested a lot by fans, and Supergirl due to having a large fanbase and drawing off the Superman fanbase.

They're not Iron Man, so I doubt that HT will make these. If another company were to make a DCTV line, I would be interested in The Flash and Supergirl 1:6 figures.

Yes, the comicbook TV shows are as popular here in Asia as they are in other parts of the world, just like the comic book movies. While illegal sourcing of episodes were the most popular means in some regions years ago, local networks and even foreign ones like Netflix have responded to the demand by purchasing the airing rights of the latest episodes and making Netflix now available in Asia. Western Pop Culture became more popular thanks to the movies, that TV series became hits, and comicbook sales got better support as well. Comic Convention Organizers from the west have already started doing shows for Singapore, Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines too because of the higher public interest :) Lots of well-done customs of figures from these shows were made and sold within the region also :)

I'd boldly say that there's a fat chance of this happening. The popularity of these shows is like fresh blood in a once dormant sea that is the TV line with a scent now caught by the shark that is HT. The resurrection of the line long-thought dead is highly possible by the looks of it :)

They're not Iron Man, so I doubt that HT will make these. If another company were to make a DCTV line, I would be interested in The Flash and Supergirl 1:6 figures.

Why do people always go with the iron man line? They have made 30ish iron man figures and 470 others. They seem to make other figures.

Here's a few quick pics of other pages in that article. They show products from other company's, older stuff as well. It's just an article about DC stuff in general.

The tv shows just have a much much smaller built in customer base. The flash averages under 2 million viewers in the USA. Compare that to say BvS or Nolans or any other film of the same type and it's just not close.

I'm not saying everyone who watches the movies buys figures or anything like that. But it's a numbers game.

Films also have a lot more press and visibility. More retail presence....

That doesn't mean the figures would sell. Who knows if they would. It's just a guess by everyone, hot toys or anyone else, until it happens. But they have to deciede somehow and it's better to go with what they have data on and are comfortable with. And when you compare a middling tv program that is almost always on the bubble or lower tier for ratings versus one of the top films of the year, or highest grossing of all time, or tops for the year it's easy to see why they avoid the risk.

Not to mention licensing is different for tv and that means other challenges.

Anyway...here's the pics

image.jpegimage.jpeg

What's wrong with Iron man? I'm sick of waiting for X-men. Gimme Supergirl and the JSA.

What's wrong with Iron man? I'm sick of waiting for X-men. Gimme Supergirl and the JSA.

I think I've ODed on Iron Man and HT just making that, again, and again, and again.... Talk about safe and lack of originality! Fortunately, other new companies have entered the game recently and I dream of a time when they start to threaten HT's supremacy and force them to start thinking a little out of the box.

If you don't want any iron man figures don't buy them. Problem solved. But you all are acting like they don't do anything else and it's all iron man and your forced to buy them and it's killing how much other stuff they make. It's silly, and based on nothing.

They have more then TRIPLED the amount of NOT IRON MAN figures they make after iron man became a hit for them. They have quadrupled the amount of figures they release every year. They make nearly 5 times the amount of figures as enterbay and King arts and imaginarium and threezero. They have the most diverse portfolio of any of he major adult 1/6 manufacturing companies. (Not including neca) But yeah, it's only iron man. Stop it.

450 figures NOT iron man. 450. That's four HUNDRED and FIFTY. Compared to fifty (if you include the 1/4, power pose, and stark figures). That means they make 5:1 non iron man figures, even though iron man is the best seller..has the most hero suits, in the most films in the last 10 years...and still gets outpaced 5 to 1. And since they started making iron man figures they have INCREASED by three fold the amount of other figures they make.

If you don't want any iron man figures don't buy them. Problem solved. But you all are acting like they don't do anything else and it's all iron man and your forced to buy them and it's killing how much other stuff they make. It's silly, and based on nothing.

They have more then TRIPLED the amount of NOT IRON MAN figures they make after iron man became a hit for them. They have quadrupled the amount of figures they release every year. They make nearly 5 times the amount of figures as enterbay and King arts and imaginarium and threezero. They have the most diverse portfolio of any of he major adult 1/6 manufacturing companies. (Not including neca) But yeah, it's only iron man. Stop it.

450 figures NOT iron man. 450. That's four HUNDRED and FIFTY. Compared to fifty (if you include the 1/4, power pose, and stark figures). That means they make 5:1 non iron man figures, even though iron man is the best seller..has the most hero suits, in the most films in the last 10 years...and still gets outpaced 5 to 1. And since they started making iron man figures they have INCREASED by three fold the amount of other figures they make.

Settle down motux. It goes without saying I, as well as others here, HAVE indeed stopped collecting IM, save for a select few. But it doesn't stop the fact that HT paid way too much attention to IM and it won't stop collectors from complaining about it.

Let's throw it back the other way...you don't like it when people say IM this IM that, don't read the post. Problem solved. Stop it.

You don't like it when people criticize a company you have no shares in, it's REAL simple. Go create your own forum, become an admin, and when people joke or speak ill of your Savior Howard and his church hot toys, destroy them with the click of your mouse.

Complaints will never stop, get over it.

One more thing...you love to throw so many numbers out there...450 releases yeah? How about this?? OVER 30 are iron man. OVER 30. NOT 4, not 10...OVER THIRTY. and that's within 6 years.

Since their inception, it took HT over 10 years to get to 450 releases.

How does that math sound to you??

Edit-one more additional thing. Clearly your math is flawed here...you mentioned that flash has under 2 million viewers in the US?? Try over 3.4 million. I wanted to respond to that, but I thought to myself...nah, why bother. But once again you come in defending HT as if you were breast fed by them when you were a baby. So...there. Stop it with your delusions.

Guys, stay cool! It's not Motux's fault! The guy is obviously either a devotee or on HT's payroll!:lol

It's one thing to be devoted, but to be entirely blinded by that devotion? This is anecdotal, but retailers and a distributor I made friends with back in China...CHINA, where Iron Man, Iron Man, transformers, gundam, Iron Man, oh and did I mention Iron Man? are THE biggest franchises over there are even complaining about HT constant release of Iron Man. Not to mention a good number of collectors on this forum alone groan and roll their eyes when a new Iron Man announcement is made. Not enough proof of IM saturation? Go to Chinese forums, use google translate and be NOT surprised to see the very same thing happen. Still not convinced? Lets look at sales. They still sell, but no way in hell are they moving the same units as they used to...back when it was just IM, IM 2 and avengers. Don't believe me? Go to taobao.com. You can find IM3 figures that were released sometime ago for retail or discounted. I bought my heartbreaker for $145 3 months after it was released. I bought my 2 silver centurion for $148 TWO months after it released. HOLY $#!+! I unfortunately had to pay $60 over MSRP for my mark VI ONE WEEK after it released. So what does that tell you?

NO OTHER FRANCHISE HAS RECEIVED THIS TYPE OF REACTION. complaints for other franchises range from weak sculpt, not accurate, no accessories, stupid exclusive, or my favorite : "took them long enough".

Hey guys, remember over at the robocop thread when everyone rolled their eyes and said "ugh, another robocop??"...

....right.

So when people bring up IM, it's done either in frustration or tongue in cheek. I'm frustrated my other wants are put on the back burner for IM...yet I can find the humor in the situation. Unlike someone here, ANY joke or negative truth bomb dropped on HT is viewed as an attack on his family and goes ham in the thread. Give me a break.

So to steer this mutha back on topic.

The more I thought about the numbers for TV vs Movies. Yeah, there's a big difference. However, how does that explain the videogame series? Anime series? Comic series? Surely there werent 40 million people craving for a captain harlock? 50 million anxious for Appleseed? Are there really 10 million people that read Storm riders and were thirsty for a Cloud figure?

Werent the sales for metal gear rising...acceptable? People made a big deal about sales for that game because it was developer Platinums highest selling game...and last I checked...it was over 1 million.

I don't know fellas. These numbers don't add up. If sales of Resident evil 5 (around 5 million WW I believe) can make a line of 1/6 figures out of it...how the hell is a hot show like the flash (that has 3 times the WW numbers in viewers compared to WW sales of RE5) not given sixth scale treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back