Premium Format Poison Ivy Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to pay sales tax at that shop which is 8.875%. I wouldn't want to carry that box in crowded NYC trains.

Well in the USA there are some idiotic things that is for sure. Sometimes I just wondering that some people are just that stupid? I just can't belive what I just read.

They are.

Topped only by Chicago's sales tax as far as I know. It was 10.25% when Stroger was in charge. It just dropped to 9.5% not long ago. Aren't we lucky? :lecture

Want to know what VAT is in France? 19.6% Eat that!
Though it's already included on the sticker price so there's no bad surprise.

Topped only by Chicago's sales tax as far as I know. It was 10.25% when Stroger was in charge. It just dropped to 9.5% not long ago. Aren't we lucky? :lecture

No. :lol

Ohio's sales tax is all over the place

Maine's is 5.5%.

We also have Use Tax (sales tax on stuff bought out of state). Every five years or so, they offer amnesty to everyone who hasn't paid it. :rotfl

They can't. They simply expect people to keep track of everything they buy out of state and then pay up, under threat of potential prosecution. Massachusetts has it too, and there was a noisy lawsuit a few years ago where they tried to force out of state businesses to collect it for them. Something about people buying tires across the border in New Hampshire. I don't remember how it turned out.

So the US broke away from the Brits because of unfair taxation, and what we ended up with is a lower sales tax but Income Taxes. England has a 20% Sales Tax And no Income Taxes.

Hmmm... Not sure which model I prefer. Anyone in the mood for tea?

Where are you guys coming up with UK has no income tax? That is just crazy talk. Absolutely ridiculous.

without getting into crazy details i was under the impression that some countries have a higher sales tax with no income tax and sometimes no property tax as well.

when you think about it doing this in a country like the United states would be amazing. first off you have SO many people that don't pay income taxes because they are here illegally and are paid under the table. so a higher sales tax would affect them as well. also you have rich celebrities that smuggle all their cash to other countries to avoid it being taxed. they would have to pay this higher tax as well.

of course there are more complex things to consider like import and export taxes for luxury items but for the most part it would solve lots of problems.

or you could also call me retarded but that's my personal opinion on how taxes should be done.

without getting into crazy details i was under the impression that some countries have a higher sales tax with no income tax and sometimes no property tax as well.

when you think about it doing this in a country like the United states would be amazing. first off you have SO many people that don't pay income taxes because they are here illegally and are paid under the table. so a higher sales tax would affect them as well. also you have rich celebrities that smuggle all their cash to other countries to avoid it being taxed. they would have to pay this higher tax as well.

of course there are more complex things to consider like import and export taxes for luxury items but for the most part it would solve lots of problems.

or you could also call me retarded but that's my personal opinion on how taxes should be done.

Yes that still sounds pretty ridiculous. How are you making up the deficit by charging higher sales taxes? Do illegal immigrants and celebrities buy more toilet paper and groceries than the average citizen? You do realize that if you charge a higher sales tax everyone is subject to it right? Not just illegal immigrants and rich celebrities. That wouldn't solve any of the problem you mentioned :monkey1 I am positive that there are very few countries in the world that have a zero income tax policy (Monaco is one that comes to mind).

But that is a topic for another thread :)

Back