Planning to cover the entire backside of my detolf, need dimensions.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cingen

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all!

I got sick of seeing straight through my detolf, and decided to add something black to the back to give it a more "clean" classy look.

Now, I am VERY bad with measurements so I wondered if anyone could give me the dimensions needed to cover the entire back glass panel?

I already measured myself, just checking here to make sure I got it right :) (not mentioning my measurements to not influence any responses, I want to get this good the first go :p)

Also, does anyone have suggestions of which materials to use? For now I am doubting between black foam and black paper, but both have their downsides so I wonder if anyone has better ideas..

Paper isn't very strong and is very hard to get in the right size around here (and sticking loads of pages togther will look plain amateuristic), and foam may swell or shrink depending on temperatures etc if I'm not mistaking?

Thanks in advance!

I did this recently using black card stock, looks pretty slick. The card stock is 1000gsm so it's pretty thick and heavy. I was going to use black foam board but the card stock was a fair bit cheaper and it was strong enough for what I wanted.

As for measurements, I can't quite remember what they were, sorry. It's really not hard though man. I only measured horizontally really, which was around 15.5 inches I think, which was edge to edge, including the plastic strips that hold the glass in place.

I basically took the measurement, then took a sheet of card stock and cut it to the required width, then stuck to the back of the Detolf using double sided tape. Then I took another sheet of card stock and cut it to the same width and continued on from where the other piece finishes, and so on, until I got to the bottom. It's the only way to do it unless you can get something custom cut to the same size as the entire piece of back glass.

I did this recently using black card stock, looks pretty slick. The card stock is 1000gsm so it's pretty thick and heavy. I was going to use black foam board but the card stock was a fair bit cheaper and it was strong enough for what I wanted.

As for measurements, I can't quite remember what they were, sorry. It's really not hard though man. I only measured horizontally really, which was around 15.5 inches I think, which was edge to edge, including the plastic strips that hold the glass in place.

I basically took the measurement, then took a sheet of card stock and cut it to the required width, then stuck to the back of the Detolf using double sided tape. Then I took another sheet of card stock and cut it to the same width and continued on from where the other piece finishes, and so on, until I got to the bottom. It's the only way to do it unless you can get something custom cut to the same size as the entire piece of back glass.

I am planning to get whatever material I use cut to size, knowing me I'd OCD if I saw the seams where the different parts touch so.. :p

The seams aren't really noticeable, especially if you join em well. Because the backing is black, makes it hard to see. You can also get each piece cut to the same size as each section on your Detolf, so the seams are kind of hidden behind each glass shelf, if that makes sense.

Otherwise, if this still doesn't sound appealing to you then yeah, get something cut to size.

The seams aren't really noticeable, especially if you join em well. Because the backing is black, makes it hard to see. You can also get each piece cut to the same size as each section on your Detolf, so the seams are kind of hidden behind each glass shelf, if that makes sense.

Otherwise, if this still doesn't sound appealing to you then yeah, get something cut to size.

That idea to get it cut to the size of each shelf is actually a damn good plan, I'll surely keep that one in mind!

Back