Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Franchise Merchandise Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Hot Toys Pirates of the Caribbean Thread

Well, got Jack redressed today. Bugger! That whole 2 belts and sash wrap is tricky to get right -- wrap, loop over one belt, loop another way over the other, then get that short belt under the loop...UGH! I definitely have to redo him on Monday...but I wanted to get a feel for the clothing items before I do some serious FUTZING! Got to get that sash right, not to mention all those trinkets... anyone got any good source photos of how things are arranged on Jack?

I'll take some tonight for you. The trinkets are trick in that HT didn't give too much rope for the rope items, you almost have to be a little creative to get them on and hanging off him right, I ended up with the foot having the other end of the rop coming through one of his belt buckles, it's subtle and imperceptable to the casual viewer but droops lower as it should. I referenced the NECA figures from AWE a lot for that whole area on him, they really got the look right and it's more helpful to see it in 3D format than photos.

I took the sash off of mine and hand washed it. Most of the material used in 1/6th scale has alot of sizing in it and washing it tends to remove the sizing and makes the material softer. I left the sash pretty wet when I put it back on Jack and got it to lay like I wanted it to. I agree that they should have used a softer material for the sash.

Another trick I have used is that after the piece is where you want it, spray it with hairspray or spray starch. It will hold in place pretty good after that. If you use hair spray make sure it drys clear. I had to go through my wife's hair spray and experiment with it.

The trinkets are a pain to put on his belt. The small strings are too short in my opinion to tie them to the belt. I also plan on adding some leather to the baldric to add some length to it. It is way too short.

The trinkets are trick in that HT didn't give too much rope for the rope items, you almost have to be a little creative to get them on and hanging off him right, I ended up with the foot having the other end of the rop coming through one of his belt buckles, it's subtle and imperceptable to the casual viewer but droops lower as it should.
thats what i did to mine. i just threaded the strings through the lower right corner of one of the belt bucles and then pushed the belt down to the bottom of the buckle to hold em in place. the little knots hold them in place. i tied the compass around the belt though.

Thanks Maulfan, pictures will help me greatly.

I took the sash off of mine and hand washed it. Most of the material used in 1/6th scale has alot of sizing in it and washing it tends to remove the sizing and makes the material softer. I left the sash pretty wet when I put it back on Jack and got it to lay like I wanted it to. I agree that they should have used a softer material for the sash.

Another trick I have used is that after the piece is where you want it, spray it with hairspray or spray starch. It will hold in place pretty good after that. If you use hair spray make sure it drys clear. I had to go through my wife's hair spray and experiment with it.

The trinkets are a pain to put on his belt. The small strings are too short in my opinion to tie them to the belt. I also plan on adding some leather to the baldric to add some length to it. It is way too short.

I do plan to wash the sash as well. I think I'll loop it around his waist twice and then tie it there in a knot while wet... if the knot isn't too big, then at least it's set in place and I can deal with the loops and folds with the remainder without worrying about the whole sash unwrapping. I think that's how the real Sparrow does it anyway too so it's accurate.

I tried the hairspray trick on Leia's dress and it does indeed help hold the material much like starch would. Great advise!!! Just don't fiddle with it much after you apply the hairspray as you'll work it out fairly quickly.

I am also going to try and water treat the baldric and gently stretch it out. I did this with many belts and Bespin Han's holster and it worked very well. You just have to be careful, pull forcefully but not too much tension. If I can get another inch that would work I think.

The light tan belt needs to be tea-bathed or stained a little darker.

The ties on the trinkets -- well, I'm hoping to make a hangman's loop if there's enough line and place it on the belt before I put the belt on. That's in theory of course. If not, I may stitch it into place on the belt.

Chicken foot and mermaid/vertebrae talisman have knots on the end. You put them through the tan buckle on his left side (if you are looking straight at him). The knots should hold the trinkets in place. NO TIES necessary. However, the compass does need to be tied with the string that's provided.

I will post a tutorial for properly tying the sash when I get home, in a bit.

In my opinion, the HT Jack is a Dead Man's Chest Jack, as it lacks his mum's shrunken head!

Placement for talisman/compass/keys/fur pelts/etc -

Very helpful, steve!

I'll key an eye out for the tutorial. Also, when you say thread the trinkets, do you mean pop them throught the belt and re-tie the knot?

Cool a tutorial! My Cap'n Jack should be home by the time I get there so any help would be greatly appreciated!

No prob, guys! Here it is! Hope it helps :eek: (keep in mind this is for my costume sash, so ignore the 4-5 ft note, baldric lingo, etc. I doubt your sash will be long enough to wrap around 3 times! :lol) -

Oh yeah, Wor-Gar! My trinket strings had knotted ends (which I'm sure yours do as well). The tan belt should have 2 layers. I "sandwiched" the strings between the 2 layers, secured the belt tightly, and the knotted ends of each string keeps the trinkets from slipping out of the belt! Hope this is somewhat helpful??

Oi. It's hard to explain without pics! Perhaps I'll post some :eek:

Last edited:

Great stuff. Thanks so much, this is a big help.

There weren't any instructions that came with Sparrow for anyone, huh? I got some card on the bottom of the tray that is like a credit list for artists but no instructions.

EDIT: after reading your 5 step sheet I'm confused how you get from 4 to 5. Once you tuck the wrap under one of your turns, then what? Flap it over/under/around the loop? How do you get the double-sash hang under the loop? Maybe this will be more apparent when I'm really doing it.

Also, in step 1, if you start with that 4-5 feet of length for the dragging sash -- how frickin' tall are you? Like 10 feet? :)

Last edited:

Ok, first off, while I had him out for a belt shot, I took a shot of the face of NECA's Jack, which for a $20 figure, is one of the best Jack/Depp sculpts and likenesses I've seen anyone do, and with a Sideshow or Hot Toys paint Job, I can just imagine how stunning it would be.

1.jpg

That said, here's a shot of the belts and trinkets, more as a reference than 100% accurrate guide, NECA sort of just glued the pieces where it worked best, understandable with something like this that's solid plastic.

2.jpg

As for my HT Jack, I did my sash differently than scubasteve, but the beauty is that there are multiple approaches.

What I did was wrap the sash around a few times to get enough showing to match how it shows above and below the belts, then I fold what was left at his side where it hangs off, and I put the light belt on Jack, but first I put the belt through his key ring then put it fully in place. Also a note if anyone doesn't understand, there's a little pouch on the light colored belt, that's for resting the lip of the little tails in, pretty nice idea by HT, and you don't see it when they're on. Once I had that belt on, I added the dark one. Once I had the material through the buckle i hung the trinket string with the 2 items over the belt so it'd get stuck between both pieces of leather when I tied the knot in the belt. Then i tucked the little ball at the string end of the foot into the corner of the light brown belt's buckle, as you can probably see in the photos, and then I adjusted the belts so they were overlapping and the buckles looking as they do.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Thanks Maulfan, that's helpful too.

What's "the pouch"? You mean there's a little separated section on the tan belt to slide the 2 fur pelts 'hooked' end into?

Sometimes deciphering the exact meaning of words is tough in these procedures. :)

Thanks Maulfan, that's helpful too.

What's "the pouch"? You mean there's a little separated section on the tan belt to slide the 2 fur pelts 'hooked' end into?

Sometimes deciphering the exact meaning of words is tough in these procedures. :)

Ya, that's why I did pictures too, some of this **** is hard to articulate lol. If you look at the light colored belt close to the buckle end, you should notice it, basically they stiched a small piece of leather to the main belt to hook the fur pelts into.

I forgot to mention, I used tweezers to feed the string from the compass under the belt after I put it on and just wrapped it a few times to keep it on but not too much so it would hang off enough.

MaulFan, great pics! Very helpful for those who are confused. These pieces are so small, and like you said, it's hard to articulate all these things! Love how you did the compass!

Wor-Gar, for my costume, I like to let the sash hang quite a bit. Wearing the Jack boots really makes a difference in height. Jack sashes can be anywhere from 12 to 18 ft, depending on where you buy.

To get from step 4 to 5, just tuck the remaining sash UNDER the flap, and pull through. You should have the double sash look that you want, then. Mine is a single hang. Anyways, sorry for the confusion! :monkey1

Last edited:

Got Elizabeth today. She's a great piece! The detail is amazing and then some. The sculpt is pretty freaking great too. The paint apps again I think are a little too dark and the stand sucks big time. Quite pleased with these two and look forward to adding Will and Cannibal Jack to my list of HT items.

I was just thinking, I wonder how attentive to detail Hot Toys will be with Cannibal Jack; will his left hand have The Black Spot under the silk wrap on his hand, I would hope so, that's the whole reason he had it covered. I realize they didn't give him the "P" burn or the Sparrow tattoo on the current figure, but you really never see it but for a few seconds in P3, but the spot was a fairly important Jack element in DMC.

I would think so especially since it was important to the movie.

Glad to see your happy with Lizzy too Josh, FedEx was a bit premature in their delivery prediction, which makes more sense, it got rescheduled today for tomorrow, but it's going to my office so Monday for me, should be a fun day, SSC Catalog's coming same day. Poor old Jack will have to look for treasure if he wants and booty this weekend :naughty

Glad to see your happy with Lizzy too Josh, FedEx was a bit premature in their delivery prediction, which makes more sense, it got rescheduled today for tomorrow, but it's going to my office so Monday for me, should be a fun day, SSC Catalog's coming same day. Poor old Jack will have to look for treasure if he wants and booty this weekend :naughty

Quite happy overall with both her and Jack. Wish the skin tones where a little lighter but they're both worth the money. I look forward to shooting both of them tomorrow at some point. I just wish the stands wheren't so crappy though. I'm glad I have several SS ones laying around.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Got both Jack and Elizabeth. Elizabeth looks great but the stand really is ****e. The black "holder" for the C-stand snapped and I had to superglue it back together because the "belt" around her waist is way to thick....after some futzing, it finally got to work. BTW, has anyone felt her boobs? They are soft and squishy....strangely enough. Anyone undress her and see what exactly is under there?

Jack was troublesome getting all those trinkets on and I did a piss poor job on some of them because the strings of the black well....strings are visible to a degree.

I showed them to my wife because she is seriously the honest one when it comes to figures. She said that both figures have too dark of a complexion but she says that they are way superior to SSC figures and I should stop buying SSC altogether and focus on just HT.....of course I think she is just trying to get me to stop spending so much money..:lol

Little does she know that I collect both....:cool:

Back