Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Sparrow with some new cast to play around with sounds great, count me in. :joy

I think the obvious storyline will be him heading off to the Fountain of Youth with Barbossa in tail. Will and Elizabeth have served their purposes a while back so I wouldn't expect more than a cameo at the most.

No one is commenting on this little ditty?

play Tonto in a bigscreen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger," both produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

Johnny Depp will be playing Tonto?!?! That ought to be an interesting transformation

Lone%20Ranger%20-%20Silver%20-%20Tonto.jpg

I think the obvious storyline will be him heading off to the Fountain of Youth with Barbossa in tail. Will and Elizabeth have served their purposes a while back so I wouldn't expect more than a cameo at the most.

No one is commenting on this little ditty?

Johnny Depp will be playing Tonto?!?! That ought to be an interesting transformation

Lone%20Ranger%20-%20Silver%20-%20Tonto.jpg

I read that Depp will be back as Sparrow but Will and elizabeth are dead in the water. They won't be back. It is supposed to be all about Jack this time, so it should be really good.
As for Tonto, I just read it and was about to post something when I came across this. It's Disney so it will be hilarious. He is probably the only not American indian who could play it. It probably isn't a far cry from his other characters.

Knightley no longer wanted to be apart of the franchise. Called them "kids movies." Good riddance.

Looking forward to what a fourth movie would bring (hopefully a new hottie) :naughty

I have bad memories of the Lone Ranger. My brother was a huge fan and wanted to dress up like him for Halloween when he was around 5 or 6. My mom made him a killer outfit and a cardboard horse that hung around his shoulders like he was riding it. Then she decided that it would be cute if I was Tonto with my own cardboard horse. Let me tell you, a 10/11 girl DOES NOT WANT TO BE TONTO for Halloween. I was permanently scarred after that. :lol :lol :lol

Well the latest posts I'm reading about Pirates is giving me some hope. :)

As for Tonto, I just read it and was about to post something when I came across this. It's Disney so it will be hilarious. He is probably the only not American indian who could play it. It probably isn't a far cry from his other characters.

Depp does have some Native American heritage. He's got a tattoo of a Cherokee chief to honor it.

Depp does have some Native American heritage. He's got a tattoo of a Cherokee chief to honor it.

Yeah he does. I was referring to the fact he was given the role of a Pirate and instead of going "Blackbeard" he went Keith Richards. I'm interested when given the role of an Indian where he'll take that.

The implication seemed to be that it would be Captain Nemo as the other "pirate". The fictional timeline is a little askew but if Jack reached the fountain of youth its do-able.

But more importantly: LONE RANGER FIGURES ON THE HORIZON!!!

I want James Caviezel as the Ranger.

Last edited:
Thanks to the little epilogue from Pirates 3, we know that Will and Elizabeth's story is all wrapped up and they are accounted for. Nothing really left to tell there, but Sparrow and Barbossa have another story left in them. This could be a nice way to end the series if they take their time and don't rush things. I hate to see a trilogy with great potential end with the weakest installment. (Spider-Man, anyone?)

I believe Knightley and Bloom has said they wouldn't do another one. Personally I liked 2 and 3 okay, although neither was as fresh and entertaining as CotBP. I'd love to see one where the main thrust of the action is centered on Jack rather than the other characters.

As for Lone Ranger...eh.

No, I love AWE too. It's my second favorite of the series, but I would be just as willing to watch it as CotBP. I only put it as second because it needs DMC as a set up.

AWE was the culmination of a great tragic love story. It's also the reason that Bloom and Knightley have no reason to return to the screen. Their story is over.

Which worries me, because I'm wondering if any subsequent POTC films will have the same sort of depth.

I know, I know. :rolleyes: It's hard for me to talk about depth in practically the same breath as the names Knightley and Bloom. But let's face it: The whole point of 1-3 was the tale of Will Turner's journey into the roll of Davey Jones, while simultaneously telling the tale of his ill-fated love with Elizabeth Swann. The pirates were just window dressing. Amazing, entertaining, well-designed, funny, disturbing window dressing, yes. But if you take the story of Will and Elizabeth away, it's just another generic Hollywood action flick. Just more expensive.

The challenge for the future film won't be to provide entertainment via Witty Jack and his hysterical, piratical cohorts. With the likes of Depp and Rush to lead the way, there'll be no lack of that. What the audience will really need is a character or characters in which they can become emotionally invested. A drunken, flamboyant pirate alone won't cut it (no matter how much we might act like him on the weekends).

I'll miss Keira, she's beautiful, but at the same time, I think this movie will be fine without them. Like Monk said, the story was about their relationship as a focal point, but pretty much from DMC on.

I think what hurt the "trilogy", since it'll be a quadrilogy now, is that they made 1 movie that started and ended, much like Star Wars, and then when it was a success, they decided to add to the story, but unlike Star Wars, they didn't quite tie all the pieces together as well. I love the whole series, but you can tell that some of the weak points come from the shaky way they were made. They started shooting some of AWE at the same time as DMC without a finished script.

I think this movie will be a solid return, similar to Curse in quality, and a finale that folks will be satisfied with, kinda like RAMBO did for that series.

I actullay thought both did a pretty good job.:eek:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I thought they were perfect. Will was absolutely charming from the beginning as the love-struck boy setting out on his maturation quest, and Orlando grew him up nicely throughout the saga. Elizabeth was likeably naive from the beginning, with a stalwart spirit that carried her through her adventures and which inevitably led to her growth into a woman strong enough to love a man she could only see one day in every ten years. And, most importantly enough, the two of them had the chemistry that made me buy it.

In fact, I can't think of a way that they could have been better. But I hang with film snobs (including my fiancée), and I don't often get to admit that publicly... :eek:

The only way I'll see the movie is if Bloom and Knightley aren't in it. I'm sorry, but their story was tragically banal. Although the coda at the end of the last film was nice, I can't find much that was special about that relationship or the characters themselves that would make me want to see them on-screen again. Jack and Barbossa on a treasure hunt is the way to go about it. Make it a fun, light, and breezy entertainment. And please, keep it at around 2 hours. These movies (included the first) have no business being nearly three hours in length.

I'll miss the fun of Jack and Elizabeth, it was entertaining how the two characters had essentially the same core personalities but their methods and morals on which they acted were opposites, so whenever they were together, they were both aiming for the same end result but with different motives and actions.

Elizabeth is an easy archetype to replicate. A well to do girl that is really not as fresh and clean and she seems to be. Plenty of those to go around especially in the times that Jack existed.

I'm interested to see if they allow a direct play with Jack vs. Barbossa or if they'll add another Willesque character into the mix...

Back