Pick the Best Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who will win best picture?

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Frost/Nixon

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Milk

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • The Reader

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slumdog Millionaire

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have yet to see any of them, but Case of Benjamin seems interesting but can't say who will win, but by looks of things and reading in the news, it might be Slumdog. In any case, I'm surprised Dark Knight is not in there when it was easily the best movie of the year. The Benjamin Case gets nominated even though its sci-fi, but Batman doesn't!? What kind of a logic is that?

No offense bro, but a group of toy collectors like us are of course going to say TDK was the best film of the year. Until you see the other films, you really can't know for sure how they stack up, so it is a bit unfair to the other films. Each film is different, and therefore each is meant for a certain audience. I would have liked to see TDK nominated for Best Picture, and it was the film I enjoyed the most this year, but I am not dissapointed in the choices. It was expected based on who the Oscar judges are. Oh and Benjamin Button is not sci-fi at all, instead it tries (and sometimes fails IMO) to delve deeply into the idea of identity and how nothing lasts forever, even if you live life backwards. It's what I call "Oscar-bait" made for the award season, although it loses greatly the satire and humor of the short story it was based on. I agree with you though, the system of nomination is a bit unfair, but it always has been.

My hopes were that Wall-E would somehow make the cut to recognize that it was not only an exceptional animated piece but transcended its genre. Oh well.

I've seen all but The Reader. Slumdog Millionaire is currently a juggernaut...if it takes Best Cast at SAG awards....it'll ride that and the GGs and the bajilllion other awards for an Oscar lock. But if it loses out (remembering that the majority of the Academy are actors), it could be a toss up between it and Slumdog. For now, I say Slumdog.

Although I thought Slumdog was very very good, I'm personally liking the overall package of Benjamin Button.

No offense bro, but a group of toy collectors like us are of course going to say TDK was the best film of the year. Until you see the other films, you really can't know for sure how they stack up, so it is a bit unfair to the other films. Each film is different, and therefore each is meant for a certain audience. I would have liked to see TDK nominated for Best Picture, and it was the film I enjoyed the most this year, but I am not dissapointed in the choices. It was expected based on who the Oscar judges are. Oh and Benjamin Button is not sci-fi at all, instead it tries (and sometimes fails IMO) to delve deeply into the idea of identity and how nothing lasts forever, even if you live life backwards. It's what I call "Oscar-bait" made for the award season, although it loses greatly the satire and humor of the short story it was based on. I agree with you though, the system of nomination is a bit unfair, but it always has been.

I should have structured my statement better, my main gripe was that Benjamin Case was nominated and Batman wasn't despite there being somewhat of fantasy element in them. In any case, as you said, each film is different and targeted towards a different audience, so Batman does fall into that category and one can say it is not being treated fairly because most of those movies when I looked up info on sound like all Drama, I hope you get what I mean by drama, even though Batman was the most entertaining movie I saw and imo contained little bit of everything for everyone to enjoy. Though one actor did get the reward for his performance, but the reason Mr. Ledger got the reward, I guess could in turn be related to all the pressure (for lack of better word) from fans or media or from where ever the news spurted that Heath Ledger may get nominated.

;) no offense taken.

Bingo. Just won but after Boyle won for Best Director I think it was a lock. Rarely do they split.

Back