People born between 1975-1985

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some of those old cartoons without the "childhood wonder" arent that great and wouldnt survive 2 episodes today.
People forget many things exploded with popularity mainly due to the fact there were so few options to choose from.
Today we;re flooded with options.

The children being raised today have a tough task, but in a good way. We can only hope they make the right decisions in where they direct their "wonder".

Growing up ('74) we were filled with wonder because these instant avenues of information didnt exist, so we were left to make things up and imagine.
Now with instant gratification in the learning realm we we've quickly gone from slowly being informed by others to informing ourselves as fast as we can take it in. Thats not a bad thing and shouldnt be viewed as such. But it needs to be used wisely.

Kids growing up and learning today dont need to spend hours, days, years finding out information at a snails pace. They can plow through it as fast as they want for the most part. The trick is them learning to direct their knowledge in the right direction.

The world seems to be at a turning point. We've gone from begging for information and entertainment at a faster pace to not being able to keep up with it and becoming desensitized.
Filter out the ____ and focus on the important facets and todays children can solve the world's problems MUCH faster than my generation could even consider.

...... wait ... I think I went too far with the topic..... :monkey1

ahhhh, the wonder years.
one thing i miss, the ads on the comics those days...

and sea monkeys.

the problem with entertainment in general is thats its not much about the entertainment itself, but rather how much $$$ it brings in.

But to suggest we need to go back to those days doesnt make sense. Thats like saying we need to go back to driving model T Fords and driving 10mph so we can slow down and see the flowers better.

We just need to figure out how to leverage today and tomorrow's pace to achieve quality and not quantity....

Born 1980.

Grew up watching movies on Beta-max first then VHS, now DVD and Blue-ray.

We also experienced the transition of big-blocky, flip mouth piece cell-phones into touch-screen cell phones. Our generation is really moving wayyy too fast in regards to technology...which is good.

Born 1980.

Grew up watching movies on Beta-max first then VHS, now DVD and Blue-ray.

We also experienced the transition of big-blocky, flip mouth piece cell-phones into touch-screen cell phones. Our generation is really moving wayyy too fast in regards to technology...which is good.

Tell that to this guy

picture.php

:lol:lol:lol I was born in Dec of '74.... So close! :exactly:

God you old man...surprised you know how to type!

'75 here, :lol and regarding the best video games...well that's easy, Commodore 64. Where else could you play Beachhead and Raid Over Moscow?

:lol

Personally I could do w/o the Care Bears or Strawberry Shortcake. Smurfs are pushing it, but I'll allow them as they're so damn weird :lol

I think it's kind of cool that they are there. Kind of encompasses all the goofiness of some of those cartoons in that era. Took me a bit to see just all the characters he put in there.

I was going through and selling a bunch of my old comics a few months back and found some ads for Saturday morning cartoons. I'd forgot about a bunch of them. Lazer Tag? Mr. T? Rubiks (sp?)? One to Grow On...remember that little short in between shows?

How about in between commercials and shows? Like on ABC I believe they had a little claymation deal when the show went to commercial and the song went something like "After these messages weeeee'll be riiiiiight back!"

I remember one station (can't remember who now) also had the "In a minute" segment where they'd give you some interesting facts. Guess that helped getting meet the educational requirements :lol

Speaking of Educational, anyone else like "Mr Wizard"?

Mr. Wizard was the shat :rock :rock :rock :rock

Old school Nickelodeon was great!

You Cant Do That On Television :rock :rock :rock

(1977 4 da Ski)

going from atari to NES was a huge leap. and that dog on duckhunt is still an A hole :lol

Yes..... he was!!!

:rotfl

I always wondered about this.

And Pac-Man is still the bomb.

Love Pac-Man!!!! Mindless entertainment that won't take me 30hours to complete, I DON'T have that kind of time anymore.

Born in 76.I'm probably in this hobby today because of the Nostalgia I have from those years.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

I was born in 85 and the best part was being a child and teenager during the golden year of video games or what I consider the golden years compared to now. That being the NES/SNES, Sega/CD and going to the N64 and PSOne. Those games were just way more
fun then crap we have now. Not to say today's games aren't fun they just don't have that original good feel that games had in the early and mid 90s. Same with PC games. I remember when I played wolfenstien in 3d and the first doom.

and yes to wolfenstien, love that game as well, the games back then even though the graphics are not up to par with what we have today were way better.

and u are waaaaaaay young.... :rotfl puts the damper on comp talk with u now... :lol I j/k

Being born in '76 allowed me to experience this in all it's glory...

Totally_80s.jpg

...'Nuff Said. :cool:

Sick as it will ever be, so glad to be a part of all that. :lecture

I remember one station (can't remember who now) also had the "In a minute" segment where they'd give you some interesting facts. Guess that helped getting meet the educational requirements :lol

Speaking of Educational, anyone else like "Mr Wizard"?

Where they would open by saying "in a minute" over and over in different voices?

Mr Wizard :lol I would watch that, Danger Mouse and You Can't Do That on Television all the time... oh and Double Dare.

as a big music fan i remember having to hang out at the local record shop in order to get all the band news about tours and new releases. usually had to read circus magazine or metal edge in order to get any news or try and squeeze info from the guy behind the counter. now you just visit the web and it tells you everything. i miss the good ole days.

These points are very debateable.

It could be said that the people born during this time were too young to really appreciate the true benefits if these advancements beyond gaming (as could be evidenced by the turn of conversation in this thread:wink1:).

It can be argued that most of the older generations have embraced the technological advancements either out of their own interest or out of necessity. I can not think of anyone who I know that has not. And I am willing to bet that the number of technophobes in each generation would be shockingly similar as I am willng to bet that to be more of an upbringing issue than a generational issue.

Reading some of the posts about other TV shows that were on cable reminded me of this. Anyone remember watching Pinwheel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThn0HVcglQ

I can't say that I watched too many of the cable shows then because my parents got cable for about a month then cancelled. My brothers and I didn't do sh** for that month but sit in front of the TV, :).

I also seem to recall there was a comic strip type of show that was about DC super heroes, I think. Loved watching that.

How about the Spider-Man portions of The Electric Company:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/4hMRRWzACpM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/4hMRRWzACpM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And I totally remember Pinwheel, Chig! :rock

How about the Spider-Man portions of The Electric Company:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/4hMRRWzACpM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/4hMRRWzACpM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And I totally remember Pinwheel, Chig! :rock

My god is there anything that's NOT on youtube? Can't believe you found that...not that I've ever searched for it that is. This coming from the guy that found the Pinwheel intro.....

Where they would open by saying "in a minute" over and over in different voices?

Mr Wizard :lol I would watch that, Danger Mouse and You Can't Do That on Television all the time... oh and Double Dare.

Yep that's the one... I think it might have been on Nickelodeon; not sure about that though.

Danger Mouse was the ____, and used to really enjoy Count Duckula.

I remember when we first got Cable (I was in 1st or 2nd grade) it was the most amazing thing ever :lol Still played outside a lot, but man did I love having 20+ channels :rock :lol

Back