PC thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a PC a few years ago and would like to upgrade the asus p5k socket 775 motherboard that can take my 8gb OCZ reaper ram and what not.
What would you guys suggest?

Yeah intel it is either the 6400 or the 6600 I remember getting it as in a PC magazine it was great over locker and out performed the quad processor.

How long ago?

Years ago:slap it was supposed to be pretty good at the time
Jean tech aqua case , asus p5k motherboard , 8gb OCZ reaper ram , 2x fatal1ty 9600 GSO graphics card running in SLI , 800watt power supply I think.
But I can't remember completely , but I was told motherboard was good but I think it is the weak part in it.
I built it and then used it a handful of times , basically to play hitman code name 47 and RTS games as I always use my consoles but I have decide to use it as my laptop broke so I threw it at the wall , and the iPad is really getting on my nerves.
Or should I leave it as is , I also have a GeForce card with ghost recon on it and was bundled with the game I'm sure it's a 8800 GTS
I don't want to go out and spend loads of money , also should I get rid of windows XP? And use vista or something like that , or will these parts not be compatible with new operating systems.

What should I replace and please don't say all LOL!
Or is it fine as is? I do t want to play modern games l just is it ok to use at this day and age for general use?
The main reason I want to set it up is I need to install coinops5 on my original xbox console with Xbox media centre

Ok, starting to understand the PC master race mentality. Finally rejoined Steam since Half Life 2 came out, and boy!!! Good stuff. Most of the games I want have full controller support and FOV option (or tweak) are really helpful.

This week alone, bought
Amnesia
Outlast
Alan Wake
Alan Wake: AM
Gone Home
Wasteland 1 (wow - we have come a long way)
Borderlands 1

Finished Alan Wake already, and not having screen tear and full FOV option made the replay from the console version a pleasure

Or is it fine as is? I do t want to play modern games l just is it ok to use at this day and age for general use?
The main reason I want to set it up is I need to install coinops5 on my original xbox console with Xbox media centre

If it's already working fine for what you want to use, then you probably don't need to upgrade. Realistically, the parts are old to where there might be some stuff to upgrade to, but it's long been out of production and you would have a hard time finding parts. Mess with it and see if it does what you want it to first before considering if you need to upgrade.

I'd get another board and processor. :lol

hey all - any sites that help with PC info

I know enough to know how to run Dxdiag, change fov in a game folder or adjust vsync, but when it comes to hardware compatibility, I am awful

For example I have a PC that has

AmD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti;
8 gigs memory

but when it comes to stuff like: will this video card work with this motherboard, and will this type of memory work with everything, I am useless

I have 'discovered' Pc gaming this year (month really) and their aint no turning back. Starting to 'get it'

Thanks in advance

Given that you're running a GTX 560 Ti you can run all current graphics cards, 400 series, 500, 600, 700, Titan. Though for the bigger cards it might need a bigger power supply.
As far as memory, you have to check your motherboard manual, it will list the types of memory you can use. Most likely it can support 1600mhz memory which is the most common at the moment. If you know your motherboard name then you can search for a listing from Newegg and find the specifications.

The interface for my video card is PCI-e 3.0. My motherboard only has a total of two PCI-e 2.0 x16. I've been using the card for awhile now but do you think it's cause any problems for using just one card, or doing a crossfire setup?

Not everything supports multiple cards, and there can actually be some problems when you have that setup. It's best to get the fastest single GPU you can afford rather than multiple ones.

Yeah, I went crossfire on my current machine and had system stability problems. Took one of the cards out and problem solved. Both the cards were fine, so I assume it is a mobo problem on my Asrock.

One single solid GPU is the way to go imo.

I've been using an old G15 keyboard for ages (4 years I think), it's been solid - no problems & I have a heap of the macro keys in use but I started looking for an upgrade.

Ended up getting a Corsair K95 mech board - this thing is insanely nice. I can't even imagine going back to the logitech.

What keyboards are you guys using for gaming?

Back