PC thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured some of you guys might appreciate this. I am working on my latest build. Got about half my parts today and I will be getting the rest tomorrow.

lkmQKtE.jpg

Now that's something sexy. :lol

What am I looking at here: $3K plus in PC hardware?

:rock :rock :rock

It is getting pretty close. These are going to be my final specs.

CPU: Intel i7-4930K (pictured)
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (pictured)
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series
HHD 1: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128 GB SSD
HHD 2: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512 GB SSD
PSU: SeaSonic X Series
GPU: EVGA GTX670 (only thing I am keeping from my current build for now)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 White

Water cooling parts:
Rad 1: EK CoolStream 360 XTX (pictured)
Rad 2: EK CoolStream 240 XTX (pictured)
Pump: Switftech MCP655-B with Bitspower pump top, mod top and 150 res (pictured)
CPU Block: EK Supremacy (pictured)
GPU Block: EK Block and back plate

I didn't plan on an almost pure EK build but it just happened to turn out that way.

My current build is going to turn into an Unraid box.

:rock :rock :rock

It is getting pretty close. These are going to be my final specs.

CPU: Intel i7-4930K (pictured)
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (pictured)
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series
HHD 1: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128 GB SSD
HHD 2: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512 GB SSD
PSU: SeaSonic X Series
GPU: EVGA GTX670 (only thing I am keeping from my current build for now)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 White

Water cooling parts:
Rad 1: EK CoolStream 360 XTX (pictured)
Rad 2: EK CoolStream 240 XTX (pictured)
Pump: Switftech MCP655-B with Bitspower pump top, mod top and 150 res (pictured)
CPU Block: EK Supremacy (pictured)
GPU Block: EK Block and back plate

I didn't plan on an almost pure EK build but it just happened to turn out that way.

My current build is going to turn into an Unraid box.

Get another 670? Go SLI. Weeeeeeeee. And then get a higher res monitor. :D

Good times.

Get another 670? Go SLI. Weeeeeeeee. And then get a higher res monitor. :D

Good times.

Ya I might get another 670 or upgrade to a 7xx series at some point. I need at least two video cards to run all my monitors. But it would be nice to run some SLI for my main.

Right now I am running two 27" Dell IPS monitors and then two ASUS 24" monitors.

Ya I might get another 670 or upgrade to a 7xx series at some point. I need at least two video cards to run all my monitors. But it would be nice to run some SLI for my main.

Right now I am running two 27" Dell IPS monitors and then two ASUS 24" monitors.

Holy sheeet! 4 monitors! What game are you playing that you need 4 monitors?

So Elite: Dangerous is now in alpha phase !! The game I've been waiting 20+ years for !

Gave a friend who is a hardware development tech (works for one of the biggest IT companies and works directly with Intel and others) a blank cheque and told him to build me a machine that would max out Elite Dangerous (and Star Citizen)

So got this back one week ago:

16gig ram (he said only 8 was necessary but I said since ram is cheap...)
Intel i5 4670K
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Motherboard
Gigabyte GTX 780ti overclocked graphics card
240gb SSD
2TB 7200rpm hd
Corsaid RM-1000 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Blu Ray 16x writer
Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower
Benq 27" 144hz gaming monitor

and I bought my Saitek x52 Pro joystick and thruster.

(I said put in an i7 .....really just because 7 is higher than 5 lulz .....he said no, he's not going to waste my money for no reason and that an i7 will show zero performance advantage for games in this rig ....he knows what he's talking about so I'll take his word for it)

So anyway, I've installed the Elite Alpha and the Star Citizen hanger module.

Elite Alpha runs with all graphics sliders maxed out and at 144hz refresh rate at 115fps...and looks amazing!!
Star Citizen hanger module the same ....but that is just walking around a big box....still the graphics are razor sharp with insane clarity and again not a hint of stutter.

Was also quite impressed that the Saitek x52 Pro is preconfigured in Elite and just instantly works perfectly if you select the option to use it ..... can't figure out how to turn my head and look around though.

Didn't want to go a 2K or 4K monitor because I'll only be using the thing until Occulus Rift HD developers model is ready and then its all 3D virtual helmet for me !

Work only gives us 2 monitors. I use .NET. :yuck

Cool. So what do you code?

Ugh, ya when I am in the office I only get 2 as well.

My day job is pretty much 90% JavaScript with about 10% Java. I used to be a heavy Java programmer but I made the switch to concentrating on JavaScript about 2 years ago.

Collection Stash is written in PHP and JavaScript and uses MySQL, so I get to do that stuff on the side.

I used to do .NET a long time ago but it has been a while.

Sending my GTX 770 back since I couldn't get it to stop rebooting my PC... really disappointed but will be gaming on the PS4 until I can build a new rig next year.

Sending my GTX 770 back since I couldn't get it to stop rebooting my PC... really disappointed but will be gaming on the PS4 until I can build a new rig next year.

Going console eh? I don't blame you. They got some goooood games

Ugh, ****ing newegg sent me the wrong case.

Time to break some eggs!

Ugh, ya when I am in the office I only get 2 as well.

My day job is pretty much 90% JavaScript with about 10% Java. I used to be a heavy Java programmer but I made the switch to concentrating on JavaScript about 2 years ago.

Collection Stash is written in PHP and JavaScript and uses MySQL, so I get to do that stuff on the side.

I used to do .NET a long time ago but it has been a while.

I code in C# making web apps. I have a lot of experience with JavaScript and JQuery. I've done some PHP in school. Then I did Django with python in school too. I met someone who swears to god that Ruby is newest and the best. Big sheet head he was.

Going console eh? I don't blame you. They got some goooood games

Time to break some eggs!

I code in C# making web apps. I have a lot of experience with JavaScript and JQuery. I've done some PHP in school. Then I did Django with python in school too. I met someone who swears to god that Ruby is newest and the best. Big sheet head he was.

Haha, ya I know a couple Ruby zealots as well.

I finally got my case in and started to size things. Ugh, I might have to get a new radiator. I thought the EK would fit and it does, however the power for the mobo is at the very top. So I could either leave one fan off, not do a push/pull configuration or get a new radiator.

I finally got my case in and started to size things. Ugh, I might have to get a new radiator. I thought the EK would fit and it does, however the power for the mobo is at the very top. So I could either leave one fan off, not do a push/pull configuration or get a new radiator.

PICS! :lol

PSU is at the top? Aren't they at the bottom typically?

Back