PC Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After ~7 years, I'm finally doing a new build. Not really for gaming - though that will happen - more just wanting a very good machine.

I'm limited on case size, since where the case goes has height restrictions. So the case had a smaller sample size. I bought a Thermaltake G41, and a Corsair H100i cooling system.

Despite the company's claims, the radiator doesn't fit, and the screws don't line up. Newegg wants to charge me a restocking fee and return shipping, which will be like $50. I'd read a few reviews saying they drilled new holes to mount the radiator.

So my question : has anyone had to drill holes for screws in their case? And if so - is there a specific type of bit or is a standard drill bit good? I'd ask about bit size, but without knowing the screw size I don't think that'd get good answers.

The hole size probably doesn't need to be super accurate, you just need it big enough for the screw to fit and small enough so that the screw head doesn't go through the hole. If it's aluminum I would think pretty much any bit will work, I would try to measure the thickness of the screw and then look on Amazon for a bit that is a little larger.

The hole size probably doesn't need to be super accurate, you just need it big enough for the screw to fit and small enough so that the screw head doesn't go through the hole. If it's aluminum I would think pretty much any bit will work, I would try to measure the thickness of the screw and then look on Amazon for a bit that is a little larger.

Okay cool - that's basically just what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure I wasn't way off base.

I'm finally in a financial position where I can spend at least $2000 on a gaming rig, and figured this black friday would be a great time to get a great deal. the thing is I have about 5 games on my PS3 that I have been neglecting. So I was thinking I can wait. but would the same pc specs be much more expensive if I bought it say early to mid Jan next year?

Average prices won't change in January, you might find some components on sale on Black Friday but make sure it's something you would actually want. Prices for components usually go down when something new is released and that won't be until much later next year.

Anyone else here getting slightly fed up with how badly optimised pc games have been this year? Iv'e got a Geforce 1080 and 32gb Ram and Dishonored 2 can barely keep a frame rate over 60. Honestly, the best optimised games seem to be coming from the ones EA have published. I really hope this trend of porting Console games over to PC stops. I didn't pay over 2 grand to play lazy ports with awful framerates and slightly higher rez textures.

Anyone else here getting slightly fed up with how badly optimised pc games have been lately?
There's nothing we can do, unfortunately.
Most PC ports are done by cheap third party studios and rushed on shelves without testing.
Nowaday we have games on PC only because they help to sell new hardware.

My PC died on me this weekend. It was having weird issues powering on or coming out of sleep, so I'm PRETTY sure it's the PSU. I ordered a new one and I'll be installing it tonight. I'm hoping I can get it up and running tonight. Praying to all the tech gods it was just a PSU problem and not a MB one.

EDIT: I should also say that my PSU failed the paper clip test which is why I went ahead and ordered a new one.

My PC died on me this weekend. It was having weird issues powering on or coming out of sleep, so I'm PRETTY sure it's the PSU. I ordered a new one and I'll be installing it tonight. I'm hoping I can get it up and running tonight. Praying to all the tech gods it was just a PSU problem and not a MB one.

EDIT: I should also say that my PSU failed the paper clip test which is why I went ahead and ordered a new one.
Sorry to hear that :(

What new PSU did you end up ordering? I always go with Corsair, they are pretty solid with quality imo

She's ALIVE!!! New PSU did the trick and now I'm back online. Sucks that I had to drop another $140 so close to Christmas...but I can't go very long without my computer!!!

Sorry to hear that :(

What new PSU did you end up ordering? I always go with Corsair, they are pretty solid with quality imo

I bought the same one I originally had. EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 Watts. Came with a 7 year warranty and now I know the signs of my power supply failing. I was so scared it was the motherboard. Those are a pain in the ass to replace. Especially since I have a radiator hooked up to my CPU and GPU.

Unless you need more workin' space and wanna get 30" (or bigger) screen... 1080p is more than enough.

If you're doing work, 1080p is fine (multiple monitors) mostly because not every program supports high DPI settings. For gaming, if you can support it then having the higher resolution looks amazing.

I'm thinking of buying this cyberpowerpc
https://www.amazon.ca/CYBERPOWERPC-...8&qid=1480045020&sr=8-1&keywords=cyberpowerpc

either that or about 2 grand for a better rig with an i7 4700k and gtx 1070 for 1440p gaming

honestly I have alot of older games to catch up on that don't require a beast of a computer like bioshock series dead space. money is not a problem btw just thinking I can get buy with less money.

anyone know if I have to pay customs a **** load of money to get that into canada?

I got the Oculus Touch controllers today, and wow, it makes a huge difference--it tracks pretty well and the gestures also help a lot--basically each button has a touch sensor so that you can make gestures based on which buttons you are touching.

Just bought six games for $10. Praised be Lord Gaben!

P.S. 23 minutes later...

qtitly.jpg

Another DDoS attack.

Back