PC Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone think that an intel i5 6600k would be bottleneck a 1070 for 1080p 144hz gaming

Some games use the CPU a lot more than others, are you building for a specific game or just a general gaming PC?

I reckon that CPU should be more than enough for 1080p 144hz on the 1070, it could slow down some games but you're looking at a small amount of frames per second.

If you were going for 4k with the GTX 1080 I would get an i7 since you're already spending heaps - why not a hundred more?

Some games use the CPU a lot more than others, are you building for a specific game or just a general gaming PC?

I reckon that CPU should be more than enough for 1080p 144hz on the 1070, it could slow down some games but you're looking at a small amount of frames per second.

If you were going for 4k with the GTX 1080 I would get an i7 since you're already spending heaps - why not a hundred more?

right now I am leaning towards 1080p high refresh rate 144hz tho alot of older games will go higher on a GTX 1070

I might end up doing 1440p since I am a graphics whore. wondering how much of a bottleneck the i5 6600k would be

don't care about 4k

You might start seeing a bit of a bottleneck at that res. I'm not sure, maybe someone with a bit more experience will chime in. I'm still running 1080p at 144hz and will until the monitor I've got now packs it in.

Not necessarily a gaming question but, I'm finally putting together a new rig and just purchased a new monitor (U2515Hx). It looks like it comes with an HDMI cable already but I was wondering if I should get a displayport cable for it. Not sure if it matters but, it'll be used for movies/streaming and general purpose use with little gaming being done.

I just recently built an average (?) build for casual gaming and have been playing Starcraft II a lot, mostly co-op. I only have wings of liberty, so I'll still need to get the other 2 but I wanted to ask what other games are worth looking into. I remember playing Fallout 3 and Borderlands when they came out but I think that's when I pretty much stopped lol Any online (non-mmorpgs) worth looking into? I never played CS:GO although I was a huge fan of CS and TF2. What about single player games?

There's a million games out there, depends on what you like.

If you like Starcraft I would check out Blizzard's other games like Diablo 3 and Overwatch
GTA V is also very good on PC

If you like StarCraft and wanna look into other online games, definitely check out Heroes of the Storm. Lots of StarCraft units are featured in that game, it's easy to get into matches and just do like a 20 minute quick game.

Well, I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and pick up a ROG Swift this weekend. I'm still deciding on whether I should go for the TN panel or IPS, though.

I've read this thread for a while. Too bad there's so little action in it. Not many gamers/tech people on this site. Here's my newest build.

IMG_1722.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 62
IPS should be better

Yeah, the IPS panels would have more accurate colors, but they seem to suffer from light bleeding and QC issues. The TN panels don't seem to have as many problems, but they have less accurate colors, and the screens will fade out if you're not looking at them directly.

i7-7700k, Asus Maximus Hero IX, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2, Gskill Tridenz RGB, NZXT S340 Elite white, NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid cooler, NZXT Aer RGB fans & Hue+, EVGA Supernova G2 850 watt PS, etc. Entire list here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pBgdwV

I wish I c9uld build a PC like that. I might just buy an Alienware. Been so long since I had a gaming PC. Miss it a lot. As should be releasing new machines this summer.

Left out the before photo. Things like the display, speakers, external audio, and anything not in boxes were already setup.

IMG_1804.JPG

I wish I c9uld build a PC like that. I might just buy an Alienware. Been so long since I had a gaming PC. Miss it a lot. As should be releasing new machines this summer.

Alienware is all hype. Last I saw their internals were mostly over-priced generic crap. Building your own is always the better buy and always better looking, IMO. Use pcpartpicker to help you price and build it. If you've never built your own there's plenty of help on YouTube.

Back