Paypal and Outer Packaging Claim

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balsquat

Public Enemies
Reaction score
Question:

Will paypal honor a claim based on the outer packaging being damaged?

Situation: An item is shipped out, but the box is punctured during shipping. The item itself inside arrives safe, but the color art box is damaged. The buyer claims the item is no longer mint as described. Will paypal honor the buyer's claim for a refund?

Paypal will pretty much side with the buyer 100% of the time no matter what the buyer says...short of them coming up with a completely absurd lie.

Question:

Will paypal honor a claim based on the outer packaging being damaged?

Situation: An item is shipped out, but the box is punctured during shipping. The item itself inside arrives safe, but the color art box is damaged. The buyer claims the item is no longer mint as described. Will paypal honor the buyer's claim for a refund?

Being in this hobby, you should know the color art box is important. It is my absolute pet peeve when sellers on ebay don't protect the box adequately. Hot Toys and Sideshow figures come with their brown cartons, but even still this is not enough. When I ship a HT or Sideshow brown carton, I put it inside another padded shipping box. That's how I ship cause I know how upset I get when I'm in the buyer's shoes. Once a seller shipped me a hot toys carton without any outer shipping box, the carton came punctured and the art box inside was damaged. I know how it feels, so I don't do that to buyers.

Very interesting responses. So tell me. A buyer can purchase an item, puncture a hole in the box, file a claim and be allowed to keep the item and receive a full refund. Or if refunded, does the item get sent back to the seller?

Sorry, Toys2 ships an item in a regular brown box, and that is also how Hot Toys ships too. I think a box, within a box, within a box is a little much.

Very interesting responses. So tell me. A buyer can purchase an item, puncture a hole in the box, file a claim and be allowed to keep the item and receive a full refund. Or if refunded, does the item get sent back to the seller?

Sorry, Toys2 ships an item in a regular brown box, and that is also how Hot Toys ships too. I think a box, within a box, within a box is a little much.

Agreed. I have received items direct from SS and the inner box has had some slight damage. I got over it. Filing a paypal claim on someone who had no control of what happened to it in transit is ridiculous...that's what parcel insurance is for. And if there was none purchased, now they know to ask for it next time.

Agreed. I have received items direct from SS and the inner box has had some slight damage. I got over it. Filing a paypal claim on someone who had no control of what happened to it in transit is ridiculous...that's what parcel insurance is for. And if there was none purchased, now they know to ask for it next time.

Yes, I am definitely getting screwed in this case. I declared at a lower value to help the buyer out. He specifically states that he will take the responsibility if anything goes wrong in shipping. Then the item arrives and he blames me for poor shipping because the box is damaged and then files claim anyways. Real douchy move.

The buyer states in his email that he can't sell the figure because HIS buyers don't want a damaged box. Now I will have to pay out of pocket if he wins the case because I valued the item at a lower value. After the dispute I will post the douches name. So dishonest. I even offered a partial discount because of the damaged box.

OUCH! I think that I am done declaring lower value now as well...I have been nervous doing it in the past, and this seals it. I'm sorry if you are overseas...pay the price!

Ooooh, that's hard to hear. Yeah, as a buyer I love paypal to death, but any time I put something up on eBay I worry my ass off until I get that positive feedback. It really doesn't matter at all what the buyer says, they will always win a dispute. I had a guy open a dispute and upgrade it to a claim within 12 hrs of opening. Didn't give me any chance at all to work it out. I asked paypal to downgrade it to a dispute so that I could talk to the guy, but nope; buyer wins claim.

OUCH! I think that I am done declaring lower value now as well...I have been nervous doing it in the past, and this seals it. I'm sorry if you are overseas...pay the price!

I really don't mind doing it and I ALWAYS take responsibility when it is done for me. But, I think I will do it for the freaks board only from now on. Also, if it "must" be done, then the buyer must send payment as "gift", so if anything does happen, it truly is their responsibility and they can't go crying to paypal if their box gets damaged.

Oh man. :( I'm sorry to hear this happen to you on such a premium priced item. It's lame that he said he would take responsibility if there was any damage during shipping and then go against his word when things didn't go the way he anticipated they would.

Ooooh, that's hard to hear. Yeah, as a buyer I love paypal to death, but any time I put something up on eBay I worry my ass off until I get that positive feedback. It really doesn't matter at all what the buyer says, they will always win a dispute. I had a guy open a dispute and upgrade it to a claim within 12 hrs of opening. Didn't give me any chance at all to work it out. I asked paypal to downgrade it to a dispute so that I could talk to the guy, but nope; buyer wins claim.

yea. I am hoping they acknowledge his Ebay message specifically stating to lower value and they will take responsibility in the event that something goes wrong. I mean, they did receive the figure in perfect shape, how could they ding me on the box being damaged.

Oh man. :( I'm sorry to hear this happen to you on such a premium priced item. It's lame that he said he would take responsibility if there was any damage during shipping and went against his word when things didn't go the way he anticipated they would.

I know. I even offered him a partial discount because I felt bad for what happened and he still threw blame and accusations at me before making a claim. :monkey2

ahh well...Live and learn on this one. I would have even taken the figure back at this point and offer a full refund, but I just can't trust this guy because he lied before.

I know. I even offered him a partial discount because I felt bad for what happened and he still threw blame and accusations at me before making a claim. :monkey2

ahh well...Live and learn on this one. I would have even taken the figure back at this point and offer a full refund, but I just can't trust this guy because he lied before.

Tell him to "get ____ed" thats what i'd do. An item that expensive just so happens to arrive damaged? Tell him to take it up with the chimp that delivered it to him that way.

Sorry to hear this, sounds you trying to do the right thing. If he wins this claim, do you get your item back?
Also what shipping company/service did you use?

Tell him to "get ____ed" thats what i'd do. An item that expensive just so happens to arrive damaged? Tell him to take it up with the chimp that delivered it to him that way.

Thanks for the support. I did not realize I was dealing with a re-seller. Because his buyer does not wan't the figure he is taking it out on me. ____ him.

Sorry to hear this, sounds you trying to do the right thing. If he wins this claim, do you get your item back?
Also what shipping company/service did you use?

He has asked for a $500 partial refund for a damaged box! Paypal has to see I am being held hostage here. I am offering him $200, any more then that then I will go along with the dispute until the end just as a learning experience. If he wins, paypal will most likely ask him to send the figure back. I wish I had the figure back, I don't want this dirt bag enjoying my p2 Elder.

Hey what if he damages the figures or it gets damaged on the way back to you,do you then file a claim on him?Dude,F_k him like he did you!Eye for an Eye!☺

Back