Pangaea - Scottish General

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished watching the film. He only wears one of those fancy bracers.

Before I started watching I had the KP Deluxe in my basket at KG Hobby.

After I finished watching I removed it.

I'm surprised this movie is so popular. :lol

Oh well. Then again it's so hard to go into a movie with a level head when it's been praised to highly for years. Would you mind sharing what you didn't like? Th movie is a fantasy so I don't think of it in any historical context whatsoever. I watch it as plainly fiction. Having said that, there are a few things I didn't like. At least one is completely absurd and I try to ignore it. It's still one of my favorite movies though.

The only thing I initially didn't like about the movie was the end scene, at the time I thought it was a bit cheesey. However, as an adult I actually really like the end and recognize I was just a bratty teen when I first saw it :lol

Aside from that though, I remember being blown away by the movie the first time I saw it and always enjoy watching it. It really seemed to set the tone for how people made epic battle movies in the future.

Yeah, well the only part I actually hate is the love affair between Queen Isabelle and Wallace. It's both ridiculous and even more so when you compare the actual dates. She was still a very young child when Wallace died.

Oh well. Then again it's so hard to go into a movie with a level head when it's been praised to highly for years. Would you mind sharing what you didn't like? Th movie is a fantasy so I don't think of it in any historical context whatsoever. I watch it as plainly fiction. Having said that, there are a few things I didn't like. At least one is completely absurd and I try to ignore it. It's still one of my favorite movies though.

It's a well made film, chock full of really good actors and with wonderful scenery and cinematography.

While watching it I continually told myself it was fantasy. But all the time it bothered me that they were using real names and a point in history, yet so blatantly playing with that history to make such a sentimental and clichéd case for Scottish nationalism.

The story itself was on the level of a pantomime, with King Edward being played very much like a pantomime villain.

I found it hard to maintain interest since it all felt so ridiculous: Hollywood at its worst, intentionally perverting history to tell another story about an underdog.

A rational fantasy explanation would be to see Wallace and his followers as time-travelling Picts who'd gone forward to the seventeenth or eighteenth century to shop for clothes, and on their way back to Roman Britain stopped off in the fourteenth century to pick a fight with the English.

If I didn't know anything about the history I would probably have enjoyed it.

I had the same reaction to Gladiator once I learned more about gladiators!

I like the look of the Wallace character, as depicted by Kaustic Plastik and in the ACI teaser. I wanted to find an excuse to justify buying him, which was why I watched the film. Before that I looked at historical dress to see if he could be made to represent a figure from an earlier period. However, the opposite is true since he can only be made to represent a later one. So to my mind he becomes meaningless; just as a Russell Crowe as gladiator figure would be similarly meaningless.

I like fantasy, but I also like it to abide by an internal logic. The only logic I see in the Braveheart film is film-makers setting out to create an allegorical tale by picking and choosing imagery from history to win over the audience to the plight of the plucky underdog. So the Scottish nobleman is reduced to a painted noble savage.

Do you know what Alexandre Dumas said?

" it doesn't matter wether you rape history, so long as you give her beautiful children"

To me this film embodies just that. I'm pretty sure a lot of people had never heard about Wallace before this movie. I honestly hadn't. Robert Bruce, yes, but as a French guy, Wallace was new to me. It made me want to know more, and read about the real one.

If only, Gibson achieved this, plus he made a hell of a good movie. So I guess he was true to Dumas's saying. He distorted history, but made the legend so much more vivid for everyone.

12108067_459214467596828_6602441796644286393_n.jpg

**16k** said:
Do you know what Alexandre Dumas said?

" it doesn't matter wether you rape history, so long as you give her beautiful children"

To me this film embodies just that. I'm pretty sure a lot of people had never heard about Wallace before this movie. I honestly hadn't. Robert Bruce, yes, but as a French guy, Wallace was new to me. It made me want to know more, and read about the real one.

If only, Gibson achieved this, plus he made a hell of a good movie. So I guess he was true to Dumas's saying. He distorted history, but made the legend so much more vivid for everyone.

Dumas wrote, "True, I have raped history, but it has produced some beautiful offspring."

Because fictional idealization often makes for a more dramatic story.

Napoleon also apparently said that "History is a set of lies agreed upon." Which is largely true because the victors seek to write history in their own manner.

The Braveheart film even begins with the following narration,

I shall tell you of William Wallace. Historians from England will say I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heroes.

Implying that this will be the 'true' history of Wallace, and not the fabrication of the victors.

And for those that skim along the surface and aren't inspired to delve deeper, that may remain their understanding of history.

One need only look at the history of the kilt to realize that the narrator was being disingenuous. The costumes of Wallace and his followers were chosen to deliberately evoke a set of familiar ideas that seemed right, and would underscore the story.

It's really that which turned me off the film and made it hard to sustain interest. It would be similar to a film about the American Civil War dressing the Union Army in 21st century uniforms, because it would evoke an idea of superiority contrasted with a ragtag Confederate army.

I found Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (books and films) far more engrossing and powerful, purely because there was no tension between history and fantasy, nor any overt intention to present an historical cause through misrepresentation. (Though such intentions may be revealed, by cross-reference to real events, they don't interfere with the story and the characters themselves). What occurs within the story is real within its own fictional boundaries.

As before, I still like the look of the Wallace character. I wish I could twist history myself to make him fit into the collection! But he would remain a fraud, unless I wanted to make him into a Jacobite.

That looks pretty good from out here. Rolled up sleeves, alternate bracer, shield and the kilt color...

Back