OZ- The Great And Powerful

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not surprised to hear the hate on this one; any cgi movie opens itself up to it

Well I hate to tell you this but it is the future...there will be more cgi than ever before....there is no stopping it...without it you would have limits to what could be made...with it no limits now as long as the money flows ...I wont bash cgi...if the film is good it's good...if it sucks it sucks cgi or no cgi

Going to see this in another hour, hope its good, but could care less if I like it, if my daughter enjoys it, then its all good for me.

I'm surprised by the hate. I absolutely loved this movie. A little slow in parts, but I'm surprised just how much of the Raimi-style shined through, despite being a big Disney film. It's Army of Darkness with a Wizard of Oz palette swap. What's not to love?!

The 3D was very well done, and you can tell how much the filmmakers respected the 1939 film. It's my favorite movie I've seen so far this year.

When I left the theater on Friday Haters it seemed like were outnumbered 10 to 1...I didnt see the hate...in fact the actual applause and hand clapping at the end was one of the loudest I've ever heard in the theater

Last edited:
Not surprised to hear the hate on this one; any cgi movie opens itself up to it

No it doesn't. CGI doesn't matter if the story is solid, and the characters are well developed. The whole movie could've been finished with a green screen behind them, and the film would still be quite good.

The CGI is a tool. And they used it as a tool. Not a crutch. They still wanted to tell a story. And they did that first.

Well... guess I'll see this next week. Got there and they said they had 7 seats left in the whole theatre :horror

No thanks!

They better show Dorthy at the end of the credits to set up the Wizard of Oz remake.

Last edited:
I saw it yesterday. I found it mildly entertaining. I liked bits on the origin of the WW of the W. Maybe because I was expecting crap that I found it somewhat enjoyable.

I saw it today and really enjoyed it. Mila Kunis was a little weak as the WWW but for the most part everybody did a nice job. I heard they may be doing a sequel because of the box office success, so hopefully tehy can flesh out the characters even more. As far as people hating on the film, the audience I saw it with clapped at the end.

My little one wants to see this (4 year old) is there anything in it inappropriate for a young child?

Mostly she likes the Witches and he flying monkeys.

Pretty good movie, had a pretty good style that worked well, I was disappointed in the WWW though, hearing Kunis' voice didn't really work with the voice and having her face there too didn't work even with the changes. They probably should have gotten someone different to play her after the transformation.

Very good movie though--3D was excellent, the musical score was nothing memorable though.

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie... I like the story a lot, and how Oz starts as a ****** and redeems himself... sort of... :lol

Loved the visuals, the opening credits were awesome! I enjoyed the score, and most characters were pretty cool...
Solid fun family movie, much better than lots of big budget movies out there.
:rock!

8.0/10

My little one wants to see this (4 year old) is there anything in it inappropriate for a young child?

Mostly she likes the Witches and he flying monkeys.

Some of the witches might be frightening for children. That's about it.

The funny thing initially is I did not think of Sam Raimi..It felt like a Tim Burton film...then I remembered who did the score ...It lost that Silly Burton feel quickly though...that intro was cool

Camera angles are all Sam Raimi. The POV object shots, the canted close up zooms....made my heart flutter every time. :lol

They better show Dorthy at the end of the credits to set up the Wizard of Oz remake.
They're doing a Wizard of Oz remake? Hard to imagine how they will top the original film unless its a more faithful adaption of the novel. Still I'd like to see the rest of the Oz books brought to film.

Back