Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney

Matte line removals/ white boxes around spaceships removal/ cleaned up lightsabers / crystal clear picture quality - would keep stuff like that.

Definite excisions - Greedo getting off a shot, Docking Bay 94 Jabba scene, pointless Vader returning to the Executor after Cloud City scenes, Jedi Rocks musical number, Vader ROTJ 'Nooooo', Haydakin ghost

Yes to all of this.
(aw geez, just realized I responded to a 2 year old post! :slap) Dammit Wor-Gar you got me.

Last edited:
It all comes down to whether you think blu-ray quality versions of the original theatrical cuts are a big deal or not.

I thought I heard that he also changed some things around in addition to just cleaning things up and deleting the stupid SI crap. Are they the actual theatrical versions or slightly altered theatrical versions?

I thought I heard that he also changed some things around in addition to just cleaning things up and deleting the stupid SI crap. Are they the actual theatrical versions or slightly altered theatrical versions?

Harmy himself didn't change anything per se but he left some of the more beneficial SE tweaks like the removed matte boxes and transparencies. But no CGI or updated footage (Greedo shooting, Vader yelling, etc.) to speak of.

I watched the 8gb version and it is beautiful. The original 1977 cut but cleaned up and restored to the way it looked in the theater (I think). If you are used to or grew up with the SE versions, then this might be shocking to you. Especially the space battle at the end. I must admit, some of the newer X-wing stuff is better than the old stiff '77 effects. But I love seeing them -- very nostalgic.

Someone should make the STAR WARS "Perfect" Cut -- keeping some of the best effects from the SE (like the landspeeder approaching Mos Eisley and some of the X-wing replacement shots). I always hated the big ring around the death star explosion though.

There's probably a generation here that doesn't even know about those horrible "boxes" that used to flicker around the TIE fighters in the original video transfers of the 80's. Man, that was the worst. I remember when it first aired on HBO in 1983 and I saw those boxes and couldn't believe that they would broadcast something like that -- takes you right out of the movie instantly.

Harmy himself didn't change anything per se but he left some of the more beneficial SE tweaks like the removed matte boxes and transparencies. But no CGI or updated footage (Greedo shooting, Vader yelling, etc.) to speak of.

Ok, that must be what I heard and I just thought he altered some other stuff around. Those I can agree with.

Re: Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney

Yes to all of this.
(aw geez, just realized I responded to a 2 year old post! :slap) Dammit Wor-Gar you got me.

It's OK, I'm still here. I was anticipating your response and finally it has come!

Th following are screen caps from the 25gb version of Team Negative1's 35mm transfer. The resolution is 1090x1920 in case they appear smaller on your screen.

HYuEu2i.jpg

uQukJ1G.jpg

UC2106V.jpg

rswgsHc.jpg

px3KWuh.jpg

JVEy8HQ.jpg

I would strongly recommend the Harmy versions. Before Rogue One came out, I played the Harmy versions of the Holy Trilogy at the theater I manage after hours for the young employees. Seeing these versions on the big screen with theater sound was beyond amazing. It is true seeing movies on the big screen is different than at home. And seeing the Star Wars I grew up with again in the theater was pretty much the highlight of last year....well that and Rogue One of course.

So if you're on the fence about the Harmy editions just go for it. JimmyJones will hook you up and your SE blurays can just sit on the shelf forever collecting dust.

I would strongly recommend the Harmy versions. Before Rogue One came out, I played the Harmy versions of the Holy Trilogy at the theater I manage after hours for the young employees.

WHAT THEATER!?!?!?? CAN YOU DO THIS AGAIN?? WHAT ABOUT A ROGUE ONE/Harmy SW DOUBLE FEATURE??? Feel free to PM me details!!!!

You sir, are a LEGEND. :bow What an amazing thing you did for those kids.

I'm more amazed that 720p projects well onto a large theater screen? And the sound? All from the 25gb Harmy disc from Juimmyjones? I always imagined projection booths to be more complex than just popping in a disc.

I need to make friends with a theater manager.

How donInget these harms editions of the original Star Wars? Are they free? I have DVD versions.

It's OK, I'm still here. I was anticipating your response and finally it has come!

Incredible! You read my mind this day two years ago. That sir is talent. :duff

I'm more amazed that 720p projects well onto a large theater screen? And the sound? All from the 25gb Harmy disc from Juimmyjones? I always imagined projection booths to be more complex than just popping in a disc.

I need to make friends with a theater manager.

The Harmy edits are 1920x1080p, not 720p. They're the official 2011 Blu Rays, very heavily tweaked with video and sound elements from many versions of the films.

2K was the normal digital projection in cinemas, 4k's become more popular. I think 1080p blu-ray resolution is half that of 2K projection, though I'm no expert. So it'd look pretty good, not as good as a nice high quality digital transfer of the original negatives, but still very nice.

How donInget these harms editions of the original Star Wars? Are they free? I have DVD versions.

OK, I need harmy hooking up. ��

You can either PM Jimmy on here (there's a thread on the topic of Harmy's edits in the Star Wars statues/props section), and he'll get you versions on disks, or look it up yourselves - the 20 part Mega upload files are pretty easily available. You'll need Jdownloader or something like that to download them and decompress and join up the .rar files though. You can find them on some torrent websites too.

Here are two guides to the process, slightly different method but essentially the same.
https://webtecbasics.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/how-to-download-harmys-star-wars.html
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvZ-rKdYQY

Back