Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney

People are saying now this isn't likely to be true---since Fox owns the distribution rights to all the films still, Disney can't just make those choices.

Re: Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney

Even if the rumor proves to be false, don't give up hope. The '66 Batman series being released has given me a new outlook on life: anything is possible, and dreams do come true.

Unfortunately, lots of folks first discovered the original films as the "Special Editions," and will be nostalgic for CG Jabba, nu dance scene, etc., and will pay money for it. If the originals are released on Blu Ray (and it would be foolish for Disney not to at least try to do this, even if the news story here is BS), I expect we'll see more special edition re-releases in the future. Maybe even "the original, unedited special editions" before George started making more and more changes to it :lol

I actually coped fine with half the changes made in 97... but each set of changes since has gotten worse... I bought the blurays to have them, but having read about many of the changes I can't bring myself to watch them.... it was bad enough listening to the dialogue change between the Emperor and Vader in ESB on DVD...

Not interested. Apart from force ghost Haydn, I've grown to appreciate the SE's bringing the effects up to speed.

Wish I could pick and choose the changes to keep and the ones to cast into the (non-beaked) sarlacc

The only changes worth keeping, are ones like Palpatine's hologram in ESB. That makes sense.

The other idiotic ****, needs to go.

I'd gladly buy the original versions. I got the bluray release with all the changes as a gift but the last set I have of the unchanged version is on VHS. Since I no longer have a VCR I'd love to be able to watch them. I spend a good chunk of the time cringing as I watch the new releases.

The only changes worth keeping, are ones like Palpatine's hologram in ESB. That makes sense.

The other idiotic ****, needs to go.

Matte line removals/ white boxes around spaceships removal/ cleaned up lightsabers / crystal clear picture quality - would keep stuff like that.

Definite excisions - Greedo getting off a shot, Docking Bay 94 Jabba scene, pointless Vader returning to the Executor after Cloud City scenes, Jedi Rocks musical number, Vader ROTJ 'Nooooo', Haydakin ghost

Finally!!!

giphy.gif

:goodpost::clap
Even if the rumor proves to be false, don't give up hope. The '66 Batman series being released has given me a new outlook on life: anything is possible, and dreams do come true.

Matte line removals/ white boxes around spaceships removal/ cleaned up lightsabers / crystal clear picture quality - would keep stuff like that.

Definite excisions - Greedo getting off a shot, Docking Bay 94 Jabba scene, pointless Vader returning to the Executor after Cloud City scenes, Jedi Rocks musical number, Vader ROTJ 'Nooooo', Haydakin ghost

I absolutely agree.

Honestly, I would be happy if they just got rid of the ROTJ Vader "NOOOOO". Talk about a way to ruin one of the most impactful scenes in the saga.

Well 2017 is coming up which will be the 20th anniversary of the first theatrical SE's. :lol "See the original 20th anniversary release again...for the first time."

Hopefully there will be an anamorphic release of the 'LaserDisc / DVD' versions of the OT, released for the 2017 anniversary.. It would be relatively straightforward to achieve and I would be happy enough with that.
Both the standard and widescreen VHS versions had issues with how they handled the picture format.. Tbh, I doubt the pre-THX versions, particularly ANH, would cut it for most of today's audience.. the sound and picture quality where noticeably inferior and that was being able to see and hear the difference on VHS, between the two versions.. I upgraded to the THX versions, back in the day.. all those tapes sadly long gone now.

Pretty sure it will not happen. At least not until 2020 when the rights revert from Fox to Disney. But fox retains the ANH rights forever.

On the other hand, I was an extra in one shot on Bespin in the ESB-SE. So I would lose that if they took that away!

I'll stick with Harmy's versions. The care that he and others have put into those make it the superior release. A new Blu will inevitably be released as the $$ to be had can't be ignored by the studios. But I doubt it will be put together as carefully and painstakingly accurate as Harmy's.

I'll stick with Harmy's versions. The care that he and others have put into those make it the superior release. A new Blu will inevitably be released as the $$ to be had can't be ignored by the studios. But I doubt it will be put together as carefully and painstakingly accurate as Harmy's.

Exactly what I assume as well. He's spent months going through each scene, posting comparison shots, getting constant feedback, offering a 1.0, 2.0, etc. His commitment to make them perfect is relentless. I just don't see that happening with Disney/LFL.

Of course! :lol

Back