Ordering Direct from SSC in the UK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortifactor

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,
I am considering ordering an exclusive 12" figure direct from the SSC site for the first time, but I have a few concerns regarding shipping to the UK.
Basically I'm wondering if anybody with past experience of ordering direct from ssc to the UK could answer whether the price of the figure from the US + shipping/import/tax etc work out to be much more than what I'd be paying if I bought a non-exclusive version locally? from forbidden planet for example.

I apologise if this is a newb question, I'm just cautious of being hit with a hefty charge that may outweigh any exclusive bonus!

Thanks

For 12 inch figures you will be charged 20% of the items price (the price on the item page converted into GBP) plus a £10 fedex charge for administration.

So for the HT Baby Doll you'll be charged around £121 ($169.99 + $25 delivery converted into GBP)

And then get a fedex invoice about two weeks later for ($169.99 converted into GBP and divided into 20%) £31.07

So the grand total of ordering through SSC for Baby Doll will be around £152.07

These are estimates as the currency rate charges constantly.

Hope this helps.

So can I just confirm, is the 20% charge an import charge? And will you always get charged? Or is it random?

EDIT: Also is this a correct breakdown of costs for Jack Sparrow:
£148.89 - for the figure (converted for USD)
£15.50 - for delivery (assuming that's what it would cost)
£10 - fedex charge
£29.77 - 20% of the converted figure cost <- import charge?

So the total for Jack Sparrow DX figure would be approx £205?

I've been in contact with SSC.

If an item has a NRD it will be counted on the final invoice, so for the Jack sparrow the "item value" will be $239.99, so the "customs value" would be £148.78.

Divide this into 20% for the VAT + the standard £10 Fedex charge makes it around: £39.76 in charges.

The figure will cost £164.24 with the $25 delivery added to the item cost. Add the customs/fedex charges and the toal will be around... £204

The sideshow shipping charges for my last two hot toys weren't included for the customs charges. So i assume its the standard.

The charges are listed as VAT on the fedex invoice, and are constant, you will get an invoice from fedex about two weeks after you get the package.

Remember though that the currency rates change daily so double check shortly before release.

Most of the time ordering through SSC can be better thant FP.com pr play.com, i ordered the Hot Toys Baby Doll for about £7 less on FP.com

Check out omesixthbruce.co.uk, they have probably the best prices in the UK, but i havent used them yet, but they will charge a non-refundable deposit or pay-in-full right away options at time of ordering

Last edited:
I'm also in the UK and looking at ordering the Green Goblin life sized statue from SSC can someone do the math for me as it appears to me that it might be cheaper buying from SSC than someone in the UK which is charging over £500 for it

If someone can help I'll be very grateful

I have 1 more question as a first timer, I live in a flat and the building management don't accept parcels on behalf of you if you aren't in, and the royal mail don't even bring parcels to the building as it is so big (which means treks to collection depots every time lol). I'm just wondering how whoever ships SSC products to people in the UK would handle this, I'm not even sure they'd be able to get into the building - will they phone me if this is the case? I don't want them to take it back to the depot as I can't drive to go and collect!

Ssc deliver via fed ex to the uk, they send you tracking info, so you might be able for them to deliver to your work address.

I've missed a FEDEX delivery from SSC before now, and they left a piece of paper which I could sign to authorise them to leave the parcel round the back, and which you stick to the door for them to take when they re-deliver. Works for a house, but I guess in a flat it might not. I can't remember what other options were on it.

Failing that then I guess it will be a depot pick up. Or could you arrange delivery to parents/friends?

I'm just going to add my 2p here:

I ordered the Superman figure directly from SSC because I wanted the Kryptonite accessory and worked out that it'd only cost me about £10 more than if I bought from FP. I was hoping they'd deliver him via Royal Fail in the hopes that I caught lucky with the random customs fees! Oh well, you win some, you lose some! ;)

Now I'm wondering if I should order the DX Batman and Joker from here too, or go the FP route. If I buy from FP I'll qualify for some cashback of about £20. If I buy both from SSC and they ship together I'll have to pay VAT and Import Duty (Import Duty is paid on anything over £135 I found out at Xmas :roll: ).

Other than FP and onesixthbruce, does anyone know of any other UK retailers that will be carrying Bats and Joker?

I ordered the Superman figure directly from SSC because I wanted the Kryptonite accessory and worked out that it'd only cost me about £10 more than if I bought from FP. I was hoping they'd deliver him via Royal Fail in the hopes that I caught lucky with the random customs fees! Oh well, you win some, you lose some! ;)

Now I'm wondering if I should order the DX Batman and Joker from here too, or go the FP route. If I buy from FP I'll qualify for some cashback of about £20. If I buy both from SSC and they ship together I'll have to pay VAT and Import Duty (Import Duty is paid on anything over £135 I found out at Xmas :roll: ).

Other than FP and onesixthbruce, does anyone know of any other UK retailers that will be carrying Bats and Joker?

Play.com has them up for pre-order, albeit for their usual over-inflated price. Collectibles Direct has them, too (collectiblesdirect.co.uk). Not sure how their prices compare to FP or OSB but the service, in my experience, is excellent.

OSB seems to be the best, i kept my Classic Predator Ex at SSC for the Ex, otherwise i'd save £20-£30 at OSB.

that is why i too cancelled the Superman Ex and got Superman at OSB i worked it out as £170 from OSB vs £201 at SSC (with customs etc)

im currently waiting on my Batman Begins bruce wayne exclusive how long does it take to ship to the UK with Fedex ??

SS should have given you a tracking number when they shipped it just click on the tracking number in the e-mail and it will tell you when to expect it and where it is. It also depends on what day you ordered it and if it was in stock at the time.

SS should have given you a tracking number when they shipped it just click on the tracking number in the e-mail and it will tell you when to expect it and where it is. It also depends on what day you ordered it and if it was in stock at the time.

ah rite thanks for clarifying that , the current status says items shipping soon so i am expecting my email at some point !!!

ah rite thanks for clarifying that , the current status says items shipping soon so i am expecting my email at some point !!!

It would usually take about 5 days from leaving SSC to you (depending on where you live).

It will say on the tracking page "At Destination Sort Facility" (Stansted GB for me) for about one day and then update to "International Shipment Release" which means it's passed through customs.

It'll then go to a local sort facility, mine is Enfield, then "On Fedex Vehicle for Delivery" to be delivered.

Again it will depend on where you are but i've always got mine in the morning before 12 noon.

It would usually take about 5 days from leaving SSC to you (depending on where you live).

It will say on the tracking page "At Destination Sort Facility" (Stansted GB for me) for about one day and then update to "International Shipment Release" which means it's passed through customs.

It'll then go to a local sort facility, mine is Enfield, then "On Fedex Vehicle for Delivery" to be delivered.

Again it will depend on where you are but i've always got mine in the morning before 12 noon.

ah rite thats great thanks for the info, just worried about it arriving in tact now as it appears there are some ankle and arm problems with the bodies !!!!

Back