Opening a small business

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I almost forgot...

Signed the lease for 12 months, paid the deposit, got the key, and the month of June is free!!

I will post a couple of pictures by the weekend. Please keep the advice coming, I know I have so far to go and a lot to learn. Thank you all for showing your support!:grouphug

Here are the current pics. I will post the "after" pics hopefully in two months or less.

5-31-12004.jpg

5-31-12003.jpg

5-31-12002.jpg

Well, the flooring was supposed to be delivered Monday or yesterday. I got a call yesterday from Home Depot saying that someone cancelled the order and did I still want it. Now the flooring may not be delivered until July 2. The display cases are supposed to arrive the last week of June. A guy has started to build a six inch high platform for my cash register counter to go on. Another person I know is going to start painting the walls this week.

I haven't looked at cash registers, yet and I am not sure how I want to handle credit card sales. I will be taking some vacation time from my regular job to get things set up. My daughter's last day of school is tomorrow, so my time won't be spent driving two kids to two different schools at two different times and working my regular job five days a week.

My new business license hasn't come in the mail, yet. After I get a phone hooked up, I can print up my new business cards. I need to take the time to look into advertising. I don't have a firm date for opening, yet.

Congrats and good luck with your business! I started my own business in December of last year selling the same dollies I collect and I am pretty content :).

The only advice I can think of right now that is to KEEP all receipts and sales data (including business expenses). When its time to file your taxes, it will be easier when you have everything recorded and sorted out from the get go.

Good luck!

Well, the flooring was supposed to be delivered Monday or yesterday. I got a call yesterday from Home Depot saying that someone cancelled the order and did I still want it. Now the flooring may not be delivered until July 2. The display cases are supposed to arrive the last week of June. A guy has started to build a six inch high platform for my cash register counter to go on. Another person I know is going to start painting the walls this week.

I haven't looked at cash registers, yet and I am not sure how I want to handle credit card sales. I will be taking some vacation time from my regular job to get things set up. My daughter's last day of school is tomorrow, so my time won't be spent driving two kids to two different schools at two different times and working my regular job five days a week.

My new business license hasn't come in the mail, yet. After I get a phone hooked up, I can print up my new business cards. I need to take the time to look into advertising. I don't have a firm date for opening, yet.

Have you thought about some sort of camera system for loss prevention? If you catch someone stealing, it's hearsay (your word against theirs) unless you have footage of them stealing.

How about signage? The previous occupants' looks pretty skimpy and cheap. I'd go for signage before flooring.

And yeah, get a camera system.

Hey Allison, I just started my own shop last year. So far it's been very challenging but things are going according to schedule and overall I am having a great time. I also kept my "day" job to make sure the expenses are covered.

As to the cash register and credit card processing, I use a company called Paymentouch that has reasonable rates, and they essentially lease the register to you for free when you process your credit card payments through them. I was a little skeptical but willing to give it a try and they have worked well for me.

https://www.paymentouch.com

Good luck with the opening!

Congrats and good luck with your business! I started my own business in December of last year selling the same dollies I collect and I am pretty content :).

The only advice I can think of right now that is to KEEP all receipts and sales data (including business expenses). When its time to file your taxes, it will be easier when you have everything recorded and sorted out from the get go.

Good luck!

I started putting all of my receipts in a binder. :) Thanks!!

For CC payments...

I'm not sure if you have a smart phone, an ipad or similar, but have you looked into a Square Card reader or the like?

Square
Intuit
Paypal

Brief article from Yahoo on the matter - Credit Card processing

Also, it's soooo cool you're opening your own business! Congrats! :clap

I do have an iPad, but I am not sure how my older customers would feel about that. I am sure it wouldn't be a big deal, but I would have to get a
printer for credit card receipts because some of my customers don't have computers or e-mail. Thank you for those links.

Have you thought about some sort of camera system for loss prevention? If you catch someone stealing, it's hearsay (your word against theirs) unless you have footage of them stealing.

How about signage? The previous occupants' looks pretty skimpy and cheap. I'd go for signage before flooring.

And yeah, get a camera system.

I bought two of these:

https://www.honeywellvideo.com/products/cameras/mini_domes/230304.html

I still need a recording system.

I met with the sign guy, today. I am hoping that what I want doesn't end up costing an arm and a leg.

Hey Allison, I just started my own shop last year. So far it's been very challenging but things are going according to schedule and overall I am having a great time. I also kept my "day" job to make sure the expenses are covered.

As to the cash register and credit card processing, I use a company called Paymentouch that has reasonable rates, and they essentially lease the register to you for free when you process your credit card payments through them. I was a little skeptical but willing to give it a try and they have worked well for me.

https://www.paymentouch.com

Good luck with the opening!

Thank you so much for this link. I think this is what I want to do.

The alcove has been enclosed, a platform has been built for the cash register counter, the walls have been painted, two glass pendant lights for over the cash register counter have arrived, the flooring is here, and
three skids of unassembled display cases have been delivered.

I am still counting my inventory - 566 necklaces and 727 pairs of earrings, so far.

Very cool! Congrats AA on taking the plunge!

I have been thinking of starting my own business. I have my business plan all set. I sit around in my underwear and rich old ladies come to my house when I call them and give me money...for various activities.

I am having a little trouble finding any companies that have had any measure of success with that model, so far. I am thinking I need to refine my google search.

:)

Keep at it and good luck!

I have been thinking of starting my own business. I have my business plan all set. I sit around in my underwear and rich old ladies come to my house when I call them and give me money...for various activities.

I am having a little trouble finding any companies that have had any measure of success with that model, so far. I am thinking I need to refine my google search.

Thank you!! :D

If you are able to get really good radio advertisements, I am sure rich old ladies will be flocking to your house in no time.

I really don't have a business plan. I need to move inventory that is sitting in my garage. (That doesn't sound shady at all, does it?) I would like to do some targeted radio advertisements, but don't have much of an idea yet of how much $$ I am looking at. I would also like to get some small color ads in some local magazines. I will be joining the chamber of commerce this week because among other things, I am told they can help with the grand opening.

My long term goal is to keep making jewelry. Around here, we have Claire's in the mall or fine jewelry stores. Everything else (besides internet shopping) is some jewerly racks in clothing stores and consignment shops and going to craft fairs. I am not sure anyone has a store like I will be doing. Everything in it (at least through the holidays) will be items that I have made. If anyone out there knows of any shops like the one I am planning on doing, I am eager to hear more about them.

I would like to steer clear of custom work. Most people aren't willing to pay what it is worth. The same goes for repairs. It has happened to me as well as three other people I know who make jewelry - you fix one thing for a favor someone or only charge a dollar or two, then they come back with a half a dozen to a dozen or more items that they want you to "just add a few beads to to make it a little longer" or just take this two strand necklace and "make it into two separate necklaces for me". I never want to see they day some crabby old lady says I broke her item. I am not opening this shop to pick up every nickel I see.

There is so much work to be done and I still can't believe this is happening. I don't think I can "fail". I would consider success to be getting out of the red in 24 months. Failure would be not selling a single item in a two week time frame. Success would be getting repeat customers (which I have, already). Even if I have to close the store in two years, I really don't see that as a "failure".

I want to post this before I get disconnected from the internet, AGAIN. :gah:

Best of luck, AllisonAmy in your business. Already the place looks very nice. Love the floors!

Darth, are you in the healthcare industry?

Back