Opening a small business

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have an iPad, but I am not sure how my older customers would feel about that. I am sure it wouldn't be a big deal, but I would have to get a
printer for credit card receipts because some of my customers don't have computers or e-mail. Thank you for those links.

No problem. :duff

The older people actually get a kick out of the iPad credit card attachment , especially when you tell them to sign with their finger. :lol

A printer is required, like you said, for receipts. You can probably pick up a used one through CL or at a garage sale, then order ink refills on Amazon, where they are dirt cheap compared to the manufacturer's price and work just as well.

I don't know if you're looking to carry anything other than the stuff you make, or if you'd be able to make something like this, but I just got back from a month in Italy and I think I saw around two women that didn't have one of these bracelets on. I have a feeling these things are going to explode around the country soon.

https://www.cruciani-bracelet.net/

If you haven't you should form a corporation or at the very least an LLC.

I'm a sole proprietor now, but will look to form a corporation next year.

Best of luck, AllisonAmy in your business. Already the place looks very nice. Love the floors!

Darth, are you in the healthcare industry?

Thanks so much!

No problem. :duff

The older people actually get a kick out of the iPad credit card attachment , especially when you tell them to sign with their finger. :lol

A printer is required, like you said, for receipts. You can probably pick up a used one through CL or at a garage sale, then order ink refills on Amazon, where they are dirt cheap compared to the manufacturer's price and work just as well.

Thanks; I will keep that in mind. :)

I don't know if you're looking to carry anything other than the stuff you make, or if you'd be able to make something like this, but I just got back from a month in Italy and I think I saw around two women that didn't have one of these bracelets on. I have a feeling these things are going to explode around the country soon.

https://www.cruciani-bracelet.net/

I have never seen those before; they sure look unique. I'm not sure if I could make them. In the future, I might want to pick some up to sell. I have about 1,000 items of pre-made jewelry that I don't want to bring into my shop until at least after the holidays. The first 6 months or so I would like to see if I can succeed with my items, alone. Places I buy my beads and supplies from sell pre-made jewelry and I have picked up quite a selection over the last seven or eight years.

Thanks for sharing that link! :hi5:

I've just read this thread for the first time and I have to say this is great Allison :rock

I can't offer any advice but I wish you the best of luck, the shop looks like it's gonna be really cool. It's a great feeling to sell something you've created so I can only imagine it would be even more exciting to have a shop dedicated to your work.
Terrific stuff, I can't wait to see the progress :rock

Your work is very unique and original, I really like it :rock
All the best to you and keep up posted!.
x :wave

I've just read this thread for the first time and I have to say this is great Allison :rock

I can't offer any advice but I wish you the best of luck, the shop looks like it's gonna be really cool. It's a great feeling to sell something you've created so I can only imagine it would be even more exciting to have a shop dedicated to your work.
Terrific stuff, I can't wait to see the progress :rock

Your work is very unique and original, I really like it :rock
All the best to you and keep up posted!.
x :wave

Thanks so much! I joined the chamber of commerce, increased my business insurance, my updated business license should arrive in the next day or two, and we are going to start assembling the display cases, this week. So, the project is progressing.

I spent much of today organizing my displays. I actually made a
spreadsheet with numbered shelves for each display case and am grouping my displays together, per case. It will be a lot less chaotic
to move everything in.

Thank you for checking out my stuff!! I'm really happy you like it! :D

storepic7-22-12.jpg

:D

That is an awesome looking space! We have had a couple independent jewelry stores open up in our area and they seem to do really well.

How do you plan on displaying your jewelry? I always thought it was unique when places display their pieces by color or reason for wearing them, rather just thrown about.

Those cabinets are :rock!!!

Thanks! I got 5 of those big ones, 6 half-cases, and two really cool glass oval ones for the middle of the store.

How do you plan on displaying your jewelry? I always thought it was unique when places display their pieces by color or reason for wearing them, rather just thrown about.

I have been working on my displays for weeks. Each case will have its own theme: bridal/prom, ocean, cupcakes, kids, fashion, steampunk, turqouise, natural stones & silver, etc.

I still don't have an opening date...

Thanks! I got 5 of those big ones, 6 half-cases, and two really cool glass oval ones for the middle of the store.

I have been working on my displays for weeks. Each case will have its own theme: bridal/prom, ocean, cupcakes, kids, fashion, steampunk, turqouise, natural stones & silver, etc.

I still don't have an opening date...[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I think that will look cool! Share pictures when you get it all setup.

Thanks so much! I joined the chamber of commerce, increased my business insurance, my updated business license should arrive in the next day or two, and we are going to start assembling the display cases, this week. So, the project is progressing.

I spent much of today organizing my displays. I actually made a
spreadsheet with numbered shelves for each display case and am grouping my displays together, per case. It will be a lot less chaotic
to move everything in.

Thank you for checking out my stuff!! I'm really happy you like it! :D
It really sounds like everything is going perfectly, you're definately organised :rock

I love the idea of the themed displays, that should work and look great, imo :rock
I don't think I look at a cabinet of your cupcake pieces without getting hungry, maybe you should have a small bakery in there selling cupcakes too ? :lol
I love that line btw, they look really sweet, for want of a better word :D
x

I gotta say that I think this is the first time I've seen a space actually look bigger when cabinets have been placed in there.
It's so open and spacious and the units you have chosen are perfect.
I can't wait to see it all come together.
All the best to you Allison :1-1:
x :duff

I used to own a combic book/gaming shop until someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :lol

The best piece of advice I can give you is to keep yourself seperate from the business. Thinking store profits were my personal paycheck almost killed me my first year out. Hard lesson to learn, but I didn't have anyone helping me out.

Good luck!

I used to own a combic book/gaming shop until someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :lol

The best piece of advice I can give you is to keep yourself seperate from the business. Thinking store profits were my personal paycheck almost killed me my first year out. Hard lesson to learn, but I didn't have anyone helping me out.

Good luck!

I am fortunate enough to have a "real job" for the time being. I anticipate it will be quite a while before all of my start-up costs are paid for. Thank you!

Looking great so far Allison! :rock

Thanks, Jen! You need to tell all of your rich Seattle friends that they need to drive up and shop at my store. :lol

Thanks, Shell!!!

More sneak peeks:

7-28-12100.jpg

7-28-12092.jpg

Everybody loves cupcakes (Hi, Ski! :wave):

7-28-12097.jpg

:clap

Looks like an awesome shop! Love the flooring!

Starting my own business was the best financial decision I ever made. I wish you all the best. :duff

Back