Once Upon a Time in Hollywood : Quentin Tarantino's upcoming movie, July

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a QT fan at all but really looking forward to seeing this.

I used to walk Cielo Drive every day before they demolished the old house. They built a McMansion on the site but still couldn't sell it. "Oscar Goldman" lived just down and around the corner from the house - I used to see him around a bit. A lot of Hollywood history up in that canyon.

this film was rather boring for me.. a waste of time and good Actors IMO.Scenes that had nothing whatsoever to do with character development or to further enhance the story,except to take up time.
With one or maybe two memorable scenes (a great acting scene by Di'Caprio filming a scene,and Pitt in the last 10-15min of the film) I can not recommend that you run out and see this film.
And yes there is a scene where QT does showcase Margot's feet.

I think this film was made to show he could close down Hollywood Blvd and turn it into 1969 for a couple of Days.:lol

Honestly in the Mens restroom,which after 2hrs 39min was full of the Tarantino faithful,all I heard was how this was the worst QT film they had ever seen.
not being a big QT fan, but I have seen all of his films, I have to agree.

Last edited:
QT gonna QT. Isn’t that right, Margot? :lol

giphy.gif

How are the Tate murders depicted in the film? Do the events actually play out how they did and she gets murdered in the film? Or does QT put his own bizarre spin on them?

completely a QT bizarre spin on it.Last 10-15min which is actually the only other interesting part of the film with Pitt and De'Caprio.Besides the De'Caprio saloon acting scene.IMO

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Seems my opinion is not out of the ordinary.

I though the first half of the film had no real point whatsoever. I was actually wondering what the plot of the film was. But it really ramped up at the end and was overall rather enjoyable. I will remember it for the entertaining ending.

I did get a kick out of the cameo of the Italian movie director.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I might want to see it again to see if any of the earlier scenes payed off at the end.

Had its moments, and the ending was entertaining.... but a looooooooooooooooooong way to get there.

Despite nearly 3 hours, a lot of stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. Credits even include actors listed with (Cut) next to their name. The extended bluray will be near 4 hours I gather.

IMO it was QT's worst movie but it was still very very good. Better than 90% junk that Hollywood produces. That said I 100% get why a lot of people will not and did not like it. It's EXTREMELY nuanced and really have to appreciate that era (I'm early 40s by the way so it was even a little before my time) but I get why QT decided to make this as these kinds of films and shows which basically made him who he is today and I think he just wanted to pay homage even if "we're not in on the joke". Maybe a little Andy Kaufman in that respect.

Loved the little girl too, she stole the show.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I gave it 8.5/10 fwiw.

Well it was pretty long and I thought somethings were pretty questionable. I was a little disappointed in Bruce Lee’s depiction and the overall simplicity of the plot. But I gotta say I even just hanging out in this world for 2 hours and 40 minutes was one of the best times I’ve had in the theater. You could smell the 60s Hollywood air. Stand outs were the little girl ,Sharon Tate going to see herself in a movie, BRAD PITT, the ranch scene, and that main Manson girl who hung out with pitt (I believe she was in the Nice Guys), she was amazing. Give her a movie (even the younger girl acting with DiCaprio)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know, while I loved the movie, anything grace says in that video is not extremely far fetched. With a slightly shifted perspective I see where she is coming from. I mean just look at how the ending scene played out. And Margot robbies role being so small. (Not for nothing but I did love the ending and don’t think grace is 100 accurate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed it for the most part. A little too long. Thought it was odd how they incorporated fantasy element into non fictitious occurrences, not sure how I feel about that, even though it was the most entertaining part of the film.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post modernism, the key ideology on college campuses these days, says whatever you think or feel happened (or "should" have happened) is just as valid as what actually happened. That even historical, factual incidents can be viewed in totally different ways to previously accepted norms. Even science can be just purely subjective constructs generated around cultural perspectives - nothing is "objective."

This is the key appeal to films like IB and OUATIH - forget what "really" happened, this is how it SHOULD have happened.

So maybe Manson didn't really do it and his gang has been unfairly locked up all these years.:dunno

Post modernism, the key ideology on college campuses these days, says whatever you think or feel happened (or "should" have happened) is just as valid as what actually happened. That even historical, factual incidents can be viewed in totally different ways to previously accepted norms. Even science can be just purely subjective constructs generated around cultural perspectives - nothing is "objective."

This is the key appeal to films like IB and OUATIH - forget what "really" happened, this is how it SHOULD have happened.

So maybe Manson didn't really do it and his gang has been unfairly locked up all these years.:dunno
Sounds like a key ideology of... ahhh forget it. I don't have the energy for that tonight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

InferiorGrouchyHippopotamus-size_restricted.gif

Completely agree though. “My truth” imo has got to be one of the most asinine sayings of today. However, I don’t think the fantasy ending of this film has anything to do with QT genuinely subscribing to this notion of subjectivity, that feelings supersede fact; he was just simply putting a whacky spin on what is more less a parody of that era in Hollywood. He wasn’t making a historical documentary.

Back