Olly moss star wars mondo prints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you were there at ordering day, you'd know why they sell for so much.

I have these and they are amazing in person. Yes, the ordering on these was beyond insane.... and I still feel blessed to have gotten them when they were released.

As far as being overpriced, I disagree with everyone here - and no, not because I have them... and I'm certainly not selling them so I have nothing to "gain" :)

As my dad always said, something is worth what another person is willing to pay for it. If people are paying those prices and demand outstrips supply - which is the case here - then they're worth those prices at the current time. As much as many of us here might get frustrated by ebay at times, it remains a free market and a good judge of "value" at any given point in time. Will they hold this value, go up or down? Well, the market will let us know and ebay is a HUUUGE part of that market - like it or not.

So... are the people on ebay paying these prices fools? Time will tell!!!! :)

well said swabie. anyone disagreeing has a bit of sour grapes. It only sucks because there are always other people that are willing to pay way more than what you feel it is worth. I love my moss SW set too :)

I'd pay 2K for an original painting or drawing by an artist, but never for a print. I even consider $200 too much for a print, any print that is. As I said before in my opinion a print is not much more than a xerox or a photo paper (even if it is a print on canvas). All the prints I have I got for under $100 on sale or clearance. I also have an original Ralph McQuarrie drawing sent by himself to me 2 years ago, and that is different, being unique and not a copy in # numbers.

I'd pay 2K for an original painting or drawing by an artist, but never for a print. I even consider $200 too much for a print, any print that is. As I said before in my opinion a print is not much more than a xerox or a photo paper (even if it is a print on canvas). All the prints I have I got for under $100 on sale or clearance. I also have an original Ralph McQuarrie drawing sent by himself to me 2 years ago, and that is different, being unique and not a copy in # numbers.

That's nice. but that's your opinion.

Many other people would feel the same way about buying props or dolls. THey probably wouldnt spend much more on a lightsaber paper-weight, or a glorified barbie/ken doll too. :)

It is also a matter of opinion of how much you like the prints in general. If that particular style is your taste that it is easier to spend the dough. I think these are nice, but I don't think they are near the art that AH! Nouveau Leia is. I had to buy the AH! print at aftermarket prices and I have no qualms about it because it is a stunning piece.

Swabies quote of something is worth what another person is willing to pay for it is 100% true.

I understand your points jkno. Your view of a print as merely a less valuable "copy" of a "real" piece of art is definitely clouding the way you see the value of these pieces. Your opinion is certainly valid, and I don't mean to say that I'm "right" and you're "wrong". And obviously, who wouldn't prefer the original oil painting on a canvas over a print from any artist!? Let me try and persuade you a little.....

Personally, I don't see lithography, screenprinting, digital print making, printing from woodcuts, etchings or engravings etc - as "lesser" forms of art. Many of the processes are extremely old themselves and require an immense amount of skill and artistry. Prints from engravings and etchings date back to the early 1400's and lithography dates back to 1798 and was created by Alois Senefelder.

Let's consider that some of the most famous and respected artists to ever live - including Rembrandt, Whistler, Picasso, Durer, Dali, Escher and Warhol used these techniques!!! If that doesn't validate it as legit and something to be respected than I don't know what can! :wink1:

There is a huge and thriving community of people out there who collect and appreciate prints and posters of all types. It's a rabid group! Head over to expressobeans, omgposters, thegiant.org etc to see just what I'm talking about.

I don't think having an opinion is sour grapes. Something that is true is buying those items is extravagance and if you really want them then who am i to stop you. I would like to have them as well but i wouldn't pay more than £30/£40 for them all. Its what you are willing to pay for an item in my eye. I couldn't care less who the artist is and which i find the art world dwells too long on sometimes. Taste is a very relative experience and peoples change over time with it.

Simply put, supply didn't nearly meet demand. They were hyped up all over the internet, they're gorgeous, and the fanbase is rabid. I was certainly pissed off I didn't get my order in by about half a second.

As far as being overpriced, I disagree with everyone here - and no, not because I have them... and I'm certainly not selling them so I have nothing to "gain" :)

As my dad always said, something is worth what another person is willing to pay for it. If people are paying those prices and demand outstrips supply - which is the case here - then they're worth those prices at the current time. As much as many of us here might get frustrated by ebay at times, it remains a free market and a good judge of "value" at any given point in time. Will they hold this value, go up or down? Well, the market will let us know and ebay is a HUUUGE part of that market - like it or not.
This is true regarding the market value of these things, of course. But whether I had picked these up for the original price or not, I would never accept that relatively mass produced posters were worth the amount being asked for in the auction listed here (which is a BIN no one has bought, btw--meaning that listing is over-priced). The OP asked why this was so expensive, and I think my first answer was similar to yours--the market says so. The market just happens to consist of nut-jobs.

That's nice. but that's your opinion.

Many other people would feel the same way about buying props or dolls. THey probably wouldnt spend much more on a lightsaber paper-weight, or a glorified barbie/ken doll too. :)

At least a prop, statue or a "doll" in most of the cases is hand painted, which cannot be said by a simple sheet of overpriced higher quality xerox paper. ;) But indeed this is my personal opinion. After all this is about the taste of each person.

i think all of u have valid points. obviously this piece is overpriced to say 99% of the people. but to that 1% who's willing to spend this type of cheddar on something they must have, is totally understandable. MR falcons are selling for fortunes as well. its really to each his own, just like art. who are you to say that this is not art? lithograph prints and etchings are a form of art, look at warhol. some viewed the early impressionist movemet as a fad, but boy were they wrong. the perception of art is definatley an acquired taste, if you show most people basquaits graffiti art, they'll think its none sense. but when they find out, sotherby's has sold his paintings for well over 10 million dollars they might change their views. it's definatley not the price tag that makes a piece of art though, some people view those poker playing dog painting as art. i guess it just simply depends on how much you like these and how much your willing to spend. i for one, loves these posters....but am not going to part with over 2k for them. im going with the tyler stout ones at a fraction of these....

Great points everyone. Love the conversation here...

There's only one thing needed to make something art - someone has to say it is. If I say a bag full of rancid garbage is art... then it is art - even if nobody agrees with my view.

Some argue art needs two things - and artist and a viewer (or audience). I disagree. I feel only the artist is needed.

At least a prop, statue or a "doll" in most of the cases is hand painted, which cannot be said by a simple sheet of overpriced higher quality xerox paper. ;) But indeed this is my personal opinion. After all this is about the taste of each person.

Imo you value something being "hand painted" by a chinese factory worker who is paid peanuts and has no interest or passion about art or painting, and is just painting by numbers on these items to make ends, meet way too high.

I think it would be right the artist would get paid for his work. But this price should be compared to what they initialla did cost. And that is ridiculous.

Someone evil on the web should upload a decent scan.

I think it would be right the artist would get paid for his work. But this price should be compared to what they initialla did cost. And that is ridiculous.

Someone evil on the web should upload a decent scan.

i found a rather large file...but its still about 1/3 the size of the original. if someone could upload a 1:1 i'd print it on some glossy and frame them!

Imo you value something being "hand painted" by a chinese factory worker who is paid peanuts and has no interest or passion about art or painting, and is just painting by numbers on these items to make ends, meet way too high.

A xerox machine copy is better then? Indeed maybe the artist signs and sometimes adds the edition number on a print himself, but otherwise there is not a big difference between this, and a simple photo. Still don't get me wrong on the original artist sketch, painting or drawing, that would be great to have.

I think for me intent has a lot to do with it also. Olly Moss created the images he did for these with the intent for them to be screen printed by Mondo (who was under license by Lucasfilm). Moss knew the edition size of the prints going in and may have actually played a part in determining how many were made. But he was certainly 100% aware of the purpose of his image. These weren't just "xeroxed" after the fact of creation without Olly's knowledge.

Also, D&L did an amazing job on these prints. jkno, have you ever seen the screen printing process? It's hardly just ripping off photos.

And remember... these images would not exist without the prints. Moss most likely wouldn't have created the original art without the commission for the job to make the prints. Many of the artists who work for us at ACME create their art for the printing process. Obviously, we occasionally print art that was previously created on spec or for another purpose. But most pieces are made by artists who know that ACME can and/or will print them. So these "copies" are the reason some amazing original art even exists!

You know when I was starting to get disgusted with the prints? When I heard about Dave Dorman's so called Artist Proofs that he "found" again and again in his warehouse. You can read the whole story on Rebelscum. At that moment I decided to go for original sketches and autographs. No more prints for me unless on sale/clearance. And the money for these would go for other things. As I said before to each his own, one man's garbage is another man's gold...

Back