Okay I've had it, they ARE NOT DOLLS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, sad, I figured more collectors here would be against the word doll normally used by non collectors, I overesitmated people over.
I still want to know the diffrence between a toy and a doll.

denger4000 said:
Wow, sad, I figured more collectors here would be against the word doll normally used by non collectors, I overesitmated people over.

:google :google :google

denger4000 said:
I still want to know the diffrence between a toy and a doll.
I think the fact that you're taking this so seriously is a little sad. Sorry to get personal about it.

I didn't realize we were debating If I was insecure of not, and If I am you're really helping let me tell ya! But I really don't see me not thinking they are doll is means I'm insecure, I really don't. Did anyone bother to read the article I posted? Probably not. It has some great points in it, but your so hell bent on owning dolls I'm sure you won't agree with anything. I still want someone to tell me the diffrence between a doll and a toy.

Who cares?! Call them whatever you want.

Much like that article, it just sounds like your looking for justification for the things you collect. You don't need us to tell you it's ok.

A toy is a general term for anything you play with for your own amusement, such as dolls, marbles, cars. A doll is a specific genre of toy.

I don't think denger is taking this so seriously. I think his hard hitting topic title may be the cause of that perception. He's just bringing to our attention, a logical argument to this long raging debate, provided by a well respected source.

creecher said:
A toy is a general term for anything you play with for your own amusement, such as dolls, marbles, cars. A doll is a specific genre of toy.

I don't think denger is taking this so seriously. I think his hard hitting topic title may be the cause of that perception. He's just bringing to our attention, a logical argument to this long raging debate, provided by a well respected source.
:bow
Thank you sir. Any way, I have some plush items in my collection that I have no problem calling dolls. I just think there is a diffrence between an action figure and a doll.

I prefer TOY (a doll is a type of toy.) Why wouldn't a PF be a doll? They have clothes and little accessories. They're not statues, they're not sculpted from 1 base material. So why aren't PF's dolls too?

Exactly, if 1/6 are dolls then so is PF. I keep asking what makes something a doll rather then a toy. Like for example is my Rancor figure a doll? What about a toy car? Is that a doll? What makes something a doll rather then a toy?

a doll by any other name [PF,12" etc..] is still a....doll :D

I liken it to marbles. We used to just call them all marbles. Then as I grew older I found that the biggest ones we called Tom Bowlers and the little ones we called pee wee's. Then they brought out different sorts, various colours. We even started using ball bearings.

Things progress, change form, change shape. It's because of this, some items go in and out of fashion and some can become rare. In steps a collector and POW what was once a childrens plaything becomes a collectible as well as being a toy. Dolls are no different. A child looking at it calls it a doll because it is in step with his being, that an adult calls it an articulated figure is within his/her realm of being, being that of an adult. They are still one and the same thing.

Fine, I love my Premium Format Action Dolls.

Joking aside, calling them toys or dolls or figures or hwatever has never really bothered me. Generally figure is the term I use because when I think of dolls I think of the baby variety or plush toys. I don't think of these as toys either because I don't play with them, and what's the point of a toy if you can't play with it? I've also found that if you are the first person to drop the word doll people can't really make fun of you since you've essentially started it and anything they say is them laughing with you, not at you. On the other hand the only people who know about my dollies are the people who I feel secure won't make fun of me. Or people that I know I can sucker punch and outrun in the parking lot.

As for the difference between a doll and a toy a doll is a subcategory of toy, like building blocks and fireworks.

I didn't read the article because I am too lazy, and it doesn't really matter to me what they are called in the first place, but I am sure it is an interesting read none the less and maybe one day I'll come back to it. :)

In closing I would just like to say I want a Premium Format Action Doll of the Rat Pack.

Last edited:
I really don't read into what other people who don't collect what we all do on the forums. To me, I say "tomato", you say "tom-mato"...it's all the same thing. If somebody wants to call what we collect "dolls", whatever...I don't let little things like that bother me. I usually let it in one ear and out the other. There are bigger things in life than worrying whether or not a certain "term" sums up what hobby we enjoy or what kind of collection we have.

Like all language, both terms are subjectively defined. So, really, it's whatever it is to you.

I think MWC provides a pretty logical and useful distinction, but I think it's unlikely that most people will redefine Ken and Barbie as "not dolls" based on his argument.

Also, Barbie's likeness was originally based on a German prostitue, or so I hear....

Back