Okay I've had it, they ARE NOT DOLLS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are dolls,and if you see them as action figures is cause you play with them...:lol

I personally like to think of them as action figures, sounds more masculine sounding. Thinking of there, here's a big machine

If you want to sound more masculine read your posts before clicking the Submit Reply button...then fix them!!

They're not dolls. And not because I'm concerned with my image - for God's sakes, I collect toys, and have for most of my adult life. I suspect I'm not too worried about the use of the term 'dolls'.

Words have definitions so that when we speak to other people, we make some sort of sense. I wouldn't call a Premium Format figure a statue when talking about it - it's more than simply a statue, and that needs to be communicated.

If you use doll to describe every toy that looks like a person, you've genericized it to a point that it's no longer useful. If you genericize it to that point, when you tell someone you collect dolls, what are they supposed to think of? Cabbage Patch? Barbie? Star Wars?

Think of it another way - let's say you meet Bob, man on the street. You collect Sideshow's sixth scale Star Wars figures. You tell Bob you collect dolls - do you think Bob is going to actually be able to know what you collect from telling him that? If you told him you collected action figures, do you think he'd have at least a closer idea?

You can call them dolls if you'd like. I consider Barbies action figures, because I think that actually makes the most sense from a definition point of view, as I stated in the original article. But if you're calling them dolls simply to prove your comfortable with your manliness, than you're no better than the foolish folks calling them action figures just to prove they're manly.

Now, let me go back to playing with my 12" sixth scale fully clothed highly articulated action figure dolls.

I have, on occasion, taken many of my statue's to work. Some guys have loved them, other have not. But if I were to buy a doll....errrr....12" figure and take it to work....well let's just say life as I know it would cease to exist. :pow I can only image some of the new 2 dozen or so nicknames I would have to live with for the rest of my career! There dolls! Say it loud and say it proud....just don't take them to work with you! :D

Michael Crawford said:
They're not dolls. And not because I'm concerned with my image - for God's sakes, I collect toys, and have for most of my adult life. I suspect I'm not too worried about the use of the term 'dolls'.

Words have definitions so that when we speak to other people, we make some sort of sense. I wouldn't call a Premium Format figure a statue when talking about it - it's more than simply a statue, and that needs to be communicated.

If you use doll to describe every toy that looks like a person, you've genericized it to a point that it's no longer useful. If you genericize it to that point, when you tell someone you collect dolls, what are they supposed to think of? Cabbage Patch? Barbie? Star Wars?

Think of it another way - let's say you meet Bob, man on the street. You collect Sideshow's sixth scale Star Wars figures. You tell Bob you collect dolls - do you think Bob is going to actually be able to know what you collect from telling him that? If you told him you collected action figures, do you think he'd have at least a closer idea?

You can call them dolls if you'd like. I consider Barbies action figures, because I think that actually makes the most sense from a definition point of view, as I stated in the original article. But if you're calling them dolls simply to prove your comfortable with your manliness, than you're no better than the foolish folks calling them action figures just to prove they're manly.

Now, let me go back to playing with my 12" sixth scale fully clothed highly articulated action figure dolls.

:bow :bow :bow :bow
I think that about sums it, I like how everyone who says they are dolls has really no point behind it except "They be dolls,der!" BUt any way, I think Michaels point makes the most sense and they aren't dolls. yay!

Honestly I prefer the pus$ycat dolls. :drool

dollsmb9.png

I'm with Nash! Call them whatever you want to call them...

But the bottomline is that they are dolls!

Why does anyone really care about this? If one want to call it an action figure, fine. if another wants to call it a doll, fine. Who cares?

I think the people on the non doll side look a ta collection as a whole and probably would not look at the "dolls" as being all that different from their statues.

We know statues are not dolls so they may not look at any of them as dolls.

in all honesty, i don't see why either side gets their panties in a bunch.

denger4000 said:
:bow :bow :bow :bow
I think that about sums it, I like how everyone who says they are dolls has really no point behind it except "They be dolls,der!" BUt any way, I think Michaels point makes the most sense and they aren't dolls. yay!

2 Timothy 4:3:
3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Could we be in the last of dolls...errr...days? :D

Oh no, I hope this dosen't spawn a 'statues are figurines' thread :google ;)

... Yes, you guys have dollies :p

Even the PF figures are dolls. I have proof. Here is my 1/4 Vampyre's shipping box:
dscf1157dy2.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Dolls are defined in Webster's as "child's playthings"... 1:6 bring out the kid in me and I do "play" with them in that I take pleasure from having/seeing them displayed... That being said, displaying them is a form of playing... So yes, they are dolls.

I collect dolls and I am OK with that. :D

Bannister said:
Even the PF figures are dolls. I have proof. Here is my 1/4 Vampyre's shipping box:
dscf1157dy2.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

IF THE MAKER CALL IT DOLL ITS A DOLL...GIVE IT UP DENGAR.YOU'VE BEEN OWNED.

You guys are sure havin' a lot of fun with this! It's interesting to see how differently everyone feels about this topic. Language is a strange thing, it continually changes with the times and with usage. New words and expressions are added to the mix as well. From reading through all of the posts it's pretty obvious that words don't always mean the same to everyone. One person's doll is another's action figure, and viceversa. Almost everyone has the right idea though... it really doesn't make a helluva lot of difference what anyone calls them, the only really important thing is that WE enjoy them, period. If anyone doesn't agree with that, well too bad (for them)! They're free to blow it right out their a**es...! :monkey3

I was just a kid when 12" GI Joe was first released, and back in those days there was more of a stigma attached to the idea of boys playing with dolls, and so Hasbro decided to make it 'okay' for boys to play with their "dolls for boys" by calling them "action soldiers", etc. It's really kind of ridiculous, if you think about it. As if playing with little plastic figures of people had anything to do with one's sexual identity! :rotfl But back in the "good old days", dolls were widely recognized as playthings for girls, like the original article said, and boys didn't dare do anything "girly" (even if they really wanted to) for fear of persecution (usually endless heckling) by their peers! Times have changed, and it is (hopefully) no longer a blight on one's manhood to like collecting, customizing, and obsessing over plastic figures, whatever you happen to call them. But it seems that some old habits (and ideas) do die hard, and we still aren't quite out of the woods yet... :D

When did "doll" become a dirty word, anyway?

Shai Hulud said:
IF THE MAKER CALL IT DOLL ITS A DOLL...GIVE IT UP DENGAR.YOU'VE BEEN OWNED.

Looks like SS has spoken....LOUD and CLEAR! :rotfl

Are regular action figures dolls? Just six inch figures with no real cloth? If the answer is yes then I can accept 1/6 being dolls, My point was there is no diffrence between a 1/6 figure or any other kind. I still think calling them an action figure makes a lot more sense and There hasn't been on logical arugment against that, just lots of good points why they shouldnt be called dolls. I think MWC already owned all you doll lovers with his post in this thread.

Back