Okami

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starkiller

Super Freak
Reaction score
How did this game ever get by without getting an official thread?

I just picked it up a few weeks ago for the wii and it's like my new favorite game. Funny thing was I didn't care for it at first until I really started digging into it. It is just so tight of a game it terms of production and gameplay, it's so artfully done, plus the soundtrack is great.

I know it received critical acclaim but didn't sell very well..but they need a sequel...now that PS3 and 360 have motion control it begs for it to go cross-platform.

Any other fans?

Agreed, this is a lovely little game. Played it on the PS2 couple of years ago. I'm sure it's much more fun on the Wii with all the paint brush antics

I love Okami.
The music, the art style, the story, the characters. Everything.

One of my all-time favourite games without a doubt. I remember getting to the Orochi fight and thinking the game was nearly over, boy was I wrong!..

I dream of Okami 2 for the PS3 with Move support. :drool

Seeing as a few "classic" games are getting HD makeovers, perhaps there’s a chance that the original Okami will get the same treatment? :pray:

I thought you didn't like Japanese art styles and storytelling, Starkiller? This game is very much steeped in everything Japanese, from the Ukiyo-e artwork to it's storytelling and characters.

That being said, I did really like this game, though I admit that I've never finished it.

I thought you didn't like Japanese art styles and storytelling, Starkiller? This game is very much steeped in everything Japanese, from the Ukiyo-e artwork to it's storytelling and characters.

That being said, I did really like this game, though I admit that I've never finished it.

There's a big different between japanese in Okami and cheesy overdramatic japanese in every RPG, which always appears in some MGS and newest Metroid.

Okami is more in the vein of Zelda. The writing is just steeped in japanese culture with gods and symbols, and the art style which I dig. Gone are the over-the-top poorly written characters that can jump as high as a building, carry swords bigger than themselves, and were all women are helpless little things with big eyes and boobs.

Okami has style and class.

I agree with most of what you said, though it surprises me that it's coming from someone who I could have sworn said that they hate all types of Japanese animation and storytelling because it's all the same.

But whatever.

I agree with most of what you said, though it surprises me that it's coming from someone who I could have sworn said that they hate all types of Japanese animation and storytelling because it's all the same.

But whatever.

But that doesn't mean I hate all japanese produced and made games, or that just because a japanese company makes a game that it suffers from those groan-worthy japanese developer influenced decisions.

I can appreciate the culture that's what Okami does it drips with everything japanese, the styling, the story, the characters, it's all done on purpose and very well. It's not over the top, or corny, hokey, or pretending it's not japanese.

It's when Japanese companies write those games like I mentioned MGS for instance and just how awkward and over the top it can be. The characters themselves and the gameplay are very Americanized or Western, but when you lace that with very long and drawn out voice overs/cutscenes, convoluted stories, and Western characters like Snake acting very "Japanese"...it just falls apart. You can definitely tell the different between an American made and written game, from Japanese..and not dealing with the theme of the game either.

The cultures are different and when you put the very rough and gruff Solid Snake, in over the top instances like Raiden being a cyborg and a Vampire that has died a million times, and the writing in the 4th one...it all well...doesn't work. And I as the player can tell when it starts to make that shift, because my game that was believable starts to get these very unbelievable premises to it.

One goes in to Okami expecting this and embracing it because it's beautifully well done and fits in the very stylized fantasy world. It doesn't work in other instances I've briefly mentioned.

Yet you won't give anime a chance, though in all likelihood there exists one that could look, feel, and sound something like Okami.

Yet you won't give anime a chance, though in all likelihood there exists one that could look, feel, and sound something like Okami.

I used to watch anime when I was like in 7th grade, and gave it a chance a lot of time on adult swim. I started watching DBZ in middle school that got old. More talking about power levels and fillers than actual action...I soon grew out of it. Tenchi Muyo!, Trigun, Big O, Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist, Digimon, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Inuyasha, Blue Gender, Samurai Champloo...I've watched them all...and grew out of them as I realized how lame they were, and childish at times.

Great when your in 8th grade, not so great when your 25.

Everything you just listed was shown on Adult Swim and were tailor made for a wide range of age groups, meaning they all had their moments of silliness combined with moments of very adult themes and situations. There's a world of Japanese animation out there that is rarely seen and quickly passed over (much like Okami, in the games world), and you choose to turn your nose because you've glanced at a short list of anime that a cartoon network deemed profitable enough to put on American tv. And you go as far as to lambast these shows for being childish even though you regularly visit a toy and collectibles forum while displaying a signature featuring the a$$ of an animated character.

We're all somewhat semi-kids here.

I used to watch anime when I was like in 7th grade, and gave it a chance a lot of time on adult swim. I started watching DBZ in middle school that got old. More talking about power levels and fillers than actual action...I soon grew out of it. Tenchi Muyo!, Trigun, Big O, Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist, Digimon, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Inuyasha, Blue Gender, Samurai Champloo...I've watched them all...and grew out of them as I realized how lame they were, and childish at times.

Great when your in 8th grade, not so great when your 25.

Wow... I can't believe that you actually consider anime like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell "childish" :slap. Especially GITS which has such a mature storyline that's filled with philosophical themes. The same goes for Fullmetal Alchemist.

Anyway, I'm 24 and I still enjoy Looney Toons, Dragon Ball Z, old episodes of Voltron, Astroboy, etc :dunno. So, I don't believe that your lack of interst in stuff is an indicator that you've "grown up". What it does indicate, is that you've gotten bored, and moved on to other things.

Everything you just listed was shown on Adult Swim and were tailor made for a wide range of age groups, meaning they all had their moments of silliness combined with moments of very adult themes and situations. There's a world of Japanese animation out there that is rarely seen and quickly passed over (much like Okami, in the games world), and you choose to turn your nose because you've glanced at a short list of anime that a cartoon network deemed profitable enough to put on American tv. And you go as far as to lambast these shows for being childish even though you regularly visit a toy and collectibles forum while displaying a signature featuring the a$$ of an animated character.

We're all somewhat semi-kids here.

I choose to turn my nose up because it sucks. And yes I visit a collectible forum, not a toy forum. I can't name any kids that can afford a $1000 statue and can appreciate it like we do. And yes I like asses because I'm a dude and I like art because I'm an artist, and I like Cammy because I grew up with her. Shame on you.

Wow... I can't believe that you actually consider anime like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell "childish" :slap. Especially GITS which has such a mature storyline that's filled with philosophical themes. The same goes for Fullmetal Alchemist.

Anyway, I'm 24 and I still enjoy Looney Toons, Dragon Ball Z, old episodes of Voltron, Astroboy, etc :dunno. So, I don't believe that your lack of interst in stuff is an indicator that you've "grown up". What it does indicate, is that you've gotten bored, and moved on to other things.

The animed tailored to an older crowd get me even more annoyed. The extreme at what Japanese cartoons take themslves seriously just makes me laugh. I can compare it to American Soaps...it's all drawn out boring conversation and drama. They try to be so deep and introspective, and teach us the meaning of life in a cartoon, plus it comes off as laughable and overly cheesy.

And by getting bored and moving on to bigger and better things, I've grown up.

But I think we should get away from comparing Okami and Japanese games and anime, and more about the game itself.

Back