Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, WG. If I'd known that there would be so much discussion about modifying these Vader figures, I would have taken more "before" pics. Also, you may recall, that close-up photo I took months ago was meant to be part of a comparison pic with this ANH still:

picture.php

That looks very very nice!

I know this ain't much to do with thread (MODs please delelete the post if it's wrong)

But for my college art project, we have to look at something Iconic, and I chose Star Wars, and this is a WIP, what do you guys think?

66632_447204262461_606252461_5621070_1191589_n.jpg

Back on topic, has there been any update on the new 12" Vader? All I can find is that they plan it to be the ROTJ version for the ask sideshow section...

How the heck do you get that much of his armor to show and still have it tight around the chest?

Futz as I might, most of my Vader's chest plate is covered up. The only way I can get more to show is if I puff out the inner tunic so that it's not tight around the armor anymore, but that looks ridiculous.

Is it because yours is height modded?

Last edited:
Hm, no height-mod on mine. Don't know but i pushed the whole helmet down on the armor as much as i could.

I took the plunge and flared out my Vader dome. Here are some pics of my figure with the added "Flair" (insert Office Space joke). I really like the added flare. I also have a modified hasbro dome and I actually think I like the flared out original dome a little better. Of course, it resembles the ESB dome moreso than the ANH helmet. The dome was not modded to sit lower.

Also, he is wearing one of Iforigno's custom capes. The capes lays much more naturally on the figure compared to the Sideshow one and the collar fills in the space between his shoulders and his dome pretty nicely.

I have included pictures with two different exposures so you can see how the flared helmet and custom cape look in more natural lighting as well as brighter lighting.

IMG_3118.jpg

VaderCropped.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about lowering the helmet, but decided against it at this time. I figure that the Sideshow dome is simply too small to really represent the ANH helmet. IMO, the most distinctive feature of the ANH helmet was the slightly oversized dome when compered with the the domes from the other movies.

Since I can't accuarately relicate the most charcteristic feature of the ANH helmet, I decided to go with a more ESB look. Since the ESB look has the space above the eyes as visible, lowering the helmet would make it look more inaccurate to that movie's appearance.

I thought about lowering the helmet, but decided against it at this time. I figure that the Sideshow dome is simply too small to really represent the ANH helmet. IMO, the most distinctive feature of the ANH helmet was the slightly oversized dome when compered with the the domes from the other movies.

Since I can't accuarately relicate the most charcteristic feature of the ANH helmet, I decided to go with a more ESB look. Since the ESB look has the space above the eyes as visible, lowering the helmet would make it look more inaccurate to that movie's appearance.

Zeiss, I agree that the original Sideshow dome gives the figure more of an ESB look than an ANH look, but I think part of the reason you like the way Iforigno's cape looks is because that collar closes the gap between the back of Vader's helmet & his shoulders, which is key.

The reason Abake, Wor-Gar & I have become evangelical about modifying the placement of that dome is because that's the thing that throws off Vader's overall look. Also, IMHO, it's not as important to lower the dome in front as it is to lower it in the back (see below).

picture.php

Hmm, lowering the back, but not the front sounds interesting. I could see it really improving the look of the figure from the side. Am I correct in assuming that all I would have to do is sand down some of the plastic towards the back of the inside of the dome?

It makes a huge improvement. Just keep in mind that the paint will crack. The cracking isn't really noticeable unless you are really analyzing the figure.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

had to post 30 of them babies cuz im limited & that was some funny ____ right there

Back