Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but his upperbody proportions certainly look better now, his legs are partly conceiled by his robe so they don't bother me to much, but I'll try shortening his upper legs on my spare Vader body, that might actually also make him look more proportionate compared to my other 1/6 figures!

i haven't had the time to shorten the body as of yet, but the upper leg is definitely where i plan to remove an inch.

took the saw to my vaders legs, hopefully this was a test body, got another one on the run, however, this is how I did it, I suggest taking away NO MORE than 3 mm however, I did about 7 mm, and his legs appear just a bit short for my taste! but this was just a trial and error, Ill post pics with less length takes off when I've done it!

pics of the process

2nk2zxh.jpg

sawing a part from the legs
35kqve1.jpg

both legs done
28ujszl.jpg

used super glue and tape to put the pieces back together
2d45g7.jpg

Hot toys TT comparison
334ryo7.jpg

full body

hope you like it, like I said, took off about 7 mm to see how much needed to be cut, turned out to be too much, next attempt will be about 3 mm taken off, should be perfect!

Poor Vader. I used to do stuff like this to my figures all the time, but no more. They just cost too much now to damage them, even if it improves them.

So... in my quest for finding the best fix for the SSC Vader Helmet, I decided to do the Hasbro dome mod that some freaks have already tried to see if that looks closer to the screen ANH Vader helmet. I was lucky to find a loose Hasbro talking Vader at my local show last Wednesday for $10 :D. I dremeled the inside and I just finished sculpting the front peak (??) that the ANH dome has but the ESB and ROTJ lack. I'll paint and polish tomorrow and hopefully I'll have pictures of the finished mod.

DSC02173.jpg

(Please forgive that I didn't make the new widow's peak area smooth. I didn't want to mess it up and will try some other day with more time in my hands.)
:vader
Okay, I like this Hasbro dome mod a lot:D. Much better than what Sideshow gave us originally and much better than the mod using the same Sideshow dome.
What I like about this dome is that you can still see some "eyebrow" area without it having that stupid "happy Vader" look. The squishy-helmet feel of the first mod that some of you didn't like is also gone. Also, I didn't glue the dome permanently and just attached it with Handi-Tak, which holds it pretty tight in place but still gives the freedom to move the dome around to readjust to different positions (In the movie, the position of the dome shifts a lot through out the different scenes). Might glue it permanently later on.
The position of the Hasbro dome in the pictures below is what I think looks more Vader to me, especially in the first picture.

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02187S.jpg

-LEFT: HASBRO DOME -RIGHT: SSC DOME MODDED Unfortunately, positioning the SSC dome higher won't improve the look, even if it seems that way in this picture. It's all about the shape of the dome. I really like how wide the top of the Hasbro dome appears!
DSC02191-1.jpg

-LEFT: HASBRO DOME -RIGHT: SSC DOME MODDED Hasbro dome appears to be rounder at the top.
DSC02214.jpg

And again, just for kicks, here's what Sideshow gave us originally (with Deak Starkiller's permission):
Picture7.png

Last edited:
(Please forgive that I didn't make the new window peak area smooth. I didn't want to mess it up and will try some other day with more time in my hands.)
:vader
Okay, I like this Hasbro dome mod a lot:D. Much better than what Sideshow gave us originally and much better than the mod using the same Sideshow dome.
What I like about this dome is that you can still see some "eyebrow" area without it having that stupid "happy Vader" look. The squishy-helmet feel of the first mod that some of you didn't like is also gone. Also, I didn't glue the dome permanently and just attached it with Handi-Tak, which holds it pretty tight in place but still gives the freedom to move the dome around to readjust to different positions (In the movie, the position of the dome shifts a lot through out the different scenes). Might glue it permanently later on.
The position of the Hasbro dome in the pictures below is what I think looks more Vader to me, especially in the first picture.

-RIGHT: HASBRO DOME -LEFT: SSC DOME MODDED Unfortunately, positioning the SSC dome higher won't improve the look, even if it seems that way in this picture. It's all about the shape of the dome. I really like how wide the top of the Hasbro dome appears!
DSC02191-1.jpg

-RIGHT: HASBRO DOME -LEFT: SSC DOME MODDED Hasbro dome appears to be rounder at the top.
DSC02214.jpg

And again, just for kicks, here's what Sideshow gave us originally (with Deak Starkiller's permission):
Picture7.png

That's EXCELLENT! It also avoids the "smooshed" look of the mod everybody's been doing to the Sideshow one. Now I'll have to bust out my Hasbro Vader reveal and give this a shot! :rock

Thenam and Valfar:

SHOOT! I had the order of the comparison pictures inverse! Sorry guys, I just corrected it, but in your quotes it will still show the wrong way.

LEFT IS HASBRO DOME, RIGHT IS SSC.

actually, just re-checked mine, and the legs actually dó look properly proportioned now with his arms and body, however.. it's that damn chest box that makes them look puny! Just checked how he looked without the box and it looks pretty spot on, but with box he looks like he's carrying a backback on his belly <_<

damn oversized box maked his upper body look too big, anyone able to fix me up with a smaller one?

unpainted smaller one would be ace as well! I'm perfectly capable of painting my own up if someone has a smaller sized one from older figures and can cast it up for me!

If somebody is up to casting that Hasbro helmet, I'd love one as well!

And great job on the body mods eczamurai!

If I am correct, the Sideshow replacement dome Hurricane offers is modified from a hasbro dome. You might want to shoot him a pm.

The Vader looks MUCH better with the Hasbro helmet. Thanks Commtech for the pictures! Which areas did you have to sand to get it to fit?

If I am correct, the Sideshow replacement dome Hurricane offers is modified from a hasbro dome. You might want to shoot him a pm.

The Vader looks MUCH better with the Hasbro helmet. Thanks Commtech for the pictures! Which areas did you have to sand to get it to fit?

There's a peg on the top of the inside of the dome (similar to the one in the Sideshow dome) that you have to dremel down completely. There's also a ridge inside in the back that you have to sand down around half way. Once you see the dome in person and try it on the head, it'll be very clear of what you have to sand down. Easy stuff.

The more I look at my Vader now, the more I like it, especially today with day light. As a Vader fan, I needed a mod like this to be satisfied with the helmet.

Now, I just need to try eczamurai's mod to shorten the body a bit.:rolleyes:

Eddy, amigo!!

That Helmet looks amazing!!!
Wow!!!
I want to do something similar... ideally I'd like to get Hurricane involved, but if I can do something like yours, I'd be more than happy!! :rock!

Eddy, amigo!!

That Helmet looks amazing!!!
Wow!!!
I want to do something similar... ideally I'd like to get Hurricane involved, but if I can do something like yours, I'd be more than happy!! :rock!

Gracias Jose!

Yeah, I have a Hurricane ESB Vader and he used an original Hasbro dome for it. Not a recast, but the original. I'm pretty sure Hurricane's dome for this Vader is almost exactly a Hasbro dome with the windows peak added, which is basically what I did. Knowing how accurate he is with his Vaders, it tells us that Hasbro's dome is very close to the real thing.

Back