Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

I, too, am amazed that people would fault the acting. The script isn't perfect, I'll give them that, but the acting? First of all -- and there's no way to say this without sounding negative so let me emphasize I don't mean it to -- we didn't spend that much time with anyone, save for Shaw, Holloway, David, Vickers, Weyland, and Janek... and maybe Fifield and Milburn. What we got from them seemed great to me. Everyone else? You really want to fault them because they had one line in the movie (not to mention they delivered that one line just fine)? I just don't see how there are even grounds to criticize the acting of anyone but those I listed.

By the way, I think I realized where I've seen Holloway before. Isn't he the dude that gets killed at the end of The OC's second season? I never watched the show, but I saw this clip which inspired SNL's Dear Sister spoof:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdLvrJnAOw[/ame]

Go to 0:22.

Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

yes, definitely i dont think David intentions were evil, he just was seeking answers and he basically sacrificed Halloway to get some answers. This liquid = a weapon. If Weyland asked him, it was only to say we need know what this liquid does. Does it give life or death? So David experimented on Halloway.

And only after Holloway practically gave consent. Makes sense.

What reasons are there to dislike it unless you're a bitter, negative person anyway? I can't believe some people can sit through such an amazing film and actually focus on tiny, almost non-existant issues, then come out thinking the entire movie was ____.

I can't believe some people take others' criticism of a given film as if the dissenters just cussed out their mother in public. Or as if they were the producers and some one not liking the film was a criticism of their own work.

Other people have different opinions than yours: get over it. Or life is going to be a very long, bumpy ride.

Not everyone views plot-holes so large that one could drive the Derelict through them with room to spare as "tiny, almost nonexistant issues." Sheesh. Grow up please.

As an aside, I was rather appalled by the "hey, lets reanimate this severed head, cool idea!" thing in the film. How kind or ethical was that. Not very humanitarian, not to mention if an alien did that to one of us, cries of horror would resound everywhere.

Do Unto Others works out in space, too. Even if no one CAN hear you scream.

Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

But the scene with David putting the substance into Halloways drink is left up to interpretation. Did he know what he was doing? Were his intentions evil? You have to decide.

Early on he has a conversation with Weyland (before we know it's him) in his cryopod. Vickers afterwards confronts David and demands to know what Weyland said to him. Weyland told David to "try harder".

Is it just me,or does the space jockeys look like angels without the wings?

Ridley Scott called them dark angels.

Last edited:

Spelling corrections: the last gasp of those out of ammunition.

Actually, if you peruse the posts you'd see that I'm more on your side of the PROMETHEUS debate, so I wouldn't be so rash. :lol

My apologies, I just have a peet peeve over poor grammar and chronic misspellings. And as one of the ancient members of this board I take it upon myself to occasionally pick up the slack left by our public education system as elders once did for me. :nana:

Anyway.... :offtopic:

:nana:I'm a huge alien, aliens, and alien 3 fan. I went to go see the movie with my wife who is equally as big of a fan as I' am. I have to say the story was great, but all of the alien creature designs were absolute garbage. I don't understand why the chest buster, face hugger, and alien creature look like crap. Also the piss poor ending made me and my wife go why did it go from being great to just ok? The giant albino squid design was such a let down my wife and I looked at eachother and laughed. As for the smurf that shows up at the end we could not help but scratch our heads and wonder where did the beautiful giger alien go? And w:gah:hy did they dump the art and go for absolute garbage for design?

Last edited:

Lugosi_Octopus.jpg

As an aside, I was rather appalled by the "hey, lets reanimate this severed head, cool idea!" thing in the film. How kind or ethical was that. Not very humanitarian, not to mention if an alien did that to one of us, cries of horror would resound everywhere.

Yeah. That part was a bit disturbing. But I like it for that. :lol

I can't believe some people take others' criticism of a given film as if the dissenters just cussed out their mother in public. Or as if they were the producers and some one not liking the film was a criticism of their own work.

Other people have different opinions than yours: get over it. Or life is going to be a very long, bumpy ride.

Not everyone views plot-holes so large that one could drive the Derelict through them with room to spare as "tiny, almost nonexistant issues." Sheesh. Grow up please.

Do Unto Others works out in space, too. Even if no one CAN hear you scream.

Whole-heartedly agree with this. I thought it was trash. If you liked it, I'm not saying you're trash by association. I didn't attack anyone's values because I had a different opinion of a movie. "You have to be stupid or nuts or unhappy to not like this movie" IS, however, absurdly childish, and truly offensive when compared with "I hated this MOVIE".
I personally can't believe it was as bad as it was. I cannot believe it. I wanted to vent to others who put as much worth in this franchise as I do and were broken-hearted at how it turned out. I'm absolutely incredulous at the outcome of this Ridley Scott film. If you are negatively emotionally impacted by someone else's opinion of a movie to the point you have to attack them personally... well... engineer jesus help you.

I thought it was a pretty descent movie, all I really was expecting was to find out more about the space jockey, so I came out pretty happy...

Back