Official repainted Anakin image thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang it Customikey! Everytime I see one of your repaints I have this irrestible urge to send you my heads!!!! I will PM you, dang it. :monkey4

:D

Sith Lord 0498 said:
Yeah, it does, so you have to be careful. Working partially off of instructions posted by VennyStar over on Rebelscum, I used a Q-Tip to apply the remover to the lips. It takes that paint right off without touching the skin color. However, if you press down even the slightest bit too hard, you'll start taking off the skin tone paint too and reveal the black underneath it all. I ran into that problem but it was minimal and I caught it in time.

Thank you. I appreciate that...especially in light of all the great repaints I've seen in this thread so far. But I think I'll leave well enough alone. The lips were a nerve-wracking experience because I came dangerously close to ruining the whole face.

Perhaps if I can find detailed, easy-to-follow instructions, I may alter the eyebrows and hair color, but I won't remove any paint again with nail polish remover. Too tricky and too dangerous.

I hear ya bro, just want to note Les generously left fairly detailed workshop notes on this thread on how he did it...

pixletwin said:
Dang it Customikey! Everytime I see one of your repaints I have this irrestible urge to send you my heads!!!! I will PM you, dang it. :monkey4

:D

Thanks!

Here's my fully-repainted Anakin. I decided to give Les' anti-white dot stance a try and it turned out pretty well. I think certain characters look better without. Something emotional. I don't know. Anyway, here he is!

anakinrep12pb.jpg

anakinrep20sk.jpg

anakinrep38la.jpg

EVILFACE said:
Pretty good job. I think the hair needs some more depth though.

Thanks. It;s actually got a fair bit of high and lowlights, I just can't get them to show up. Friggin amateur photographer over here....:monkey5

Re: Having way too much fun now...

Gruff Old Bear said:
Photoshop! Too much fun!

Okay, it's late, this was completely uncalled for...nice work, Mikey...

Anyone wants to photoshop my stuff is welcome to!!! Please?

Re: Having way too much fun now...

Customikey said:
Anyone wants to photoshop my stuff is welcome to!!! Please?

Yeah, Mikey, we need better shots to appreciate your work my friend!

Well im new to the board, i only recently picked up Anakin and being my first sideshow purchase hes drawn me in quite alot. I have maul on preorder and im eyeing a few others in the star wars 12 inch area...

I did repaint my anakins face, but nothing to extravagant:
ssanakin4.jpg

And for fun the couple of photoshopped pics i did:
ssanakinaction.jpg

anakinaction.jpg

I also did the sleeve fix which i found here in this forum, so thanks to those who posted that.

Magnuz...love the first two pictures. Very dramatic and stylish. Do you have any decently-lit pictures of the head so we can see the repaint better?

Taking pictures of anakin where you can see his face and theres not either to much light or to much shadow has been quite the pain for me. I take alot of pictures of various toys and its one of the things i enjoy doing most, but its usually of 6" figures, so his large size doesnt cope well with my lighting setup, but this is the best i've managed that shows the detail and is fairly close to how he looks in person, hairs darker in the picture, dont know why, but whatever.
anakinfaceclose.jpg

I just rebased the skin, painted new lips, drybrushed some lighter tone on the hair and touched up the whites of his eyes since they were so dark before.

Magnuz said:
Taking pictures of anakin where you can see his face and theres not either to much light or to much shadow has been quite the pain for me. I take alot of pictures of various toys and its one of the things i enjoy doing most, but its usually of 6" figures, so his large size doesnt cope well with my lighting setup, but this is the best i've managed that shows the detail and is fairly close to how he looks in person, hairs darker in the picture, dont know why, but whatever.

What are you talking about??? That's a great shot!! It looks a lot more like Hayden with your repaint. :chew

I tried to improve my initial lip repaint and dang near botched the entire face in the process...never doing that again... Here are two pics of my Anakin as he is now (and staying as is...). The camera is more flattering to the lips than the naked eye (it has a lipstick look in reality).

HPIM2676.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

Looks great. I originally was just gonna repaint those brown lips, cause i really didn't want to try and repaint the whole face and then somehow f' it up, cause im not fond of repainting faces. Alas though i didn't like the odd tan look of the skin and after i did the lips i wanted his skin tone more natural. So i gave it a shot, his larger scale helps compared to the 6 inch customs im accustomed to doing. He came out better than expected so i kinda lucked out on it working the way i wanted. The lips were the one thing that held me from getting him right away, after i saw other repaints on here, like the one by Les, i ran out and got him and new that either if i did it or had someone else do it, repainting his face would make him fine.

Hey Magnuz, check us out! We're twins!

I like your repaint. The lips are tough enough to catch just right, and are murder to photograph even remotely like they are in person. I think your Anakin looks really good in photos.

Try this, put him up against a neutral grey background, and light him well, and use no flash. See if that catches the colors better.

Looking good though. But, are YOU happy with him?

And Gruff, SOLID photos man! I am impressed with your reworkings.
Bravo!

Yeah im thoroughly happy with him. Fixing the face was the main thing he needed, then there was nothing holding back the rest of the great figure. Its really started sucking me into 12 inch figures, and the idea of collecting them which is something i've avoided.

Mainly its nice having a really great figure of anakin, since theres little other option out there, even the normal 3 inch star wars line leaves something to be desired.

And yes... i cannot wait for darth maul... i wish he'd just come out now... or... now.... maybe.... NOW!

Man waiting sucks.

:lol
I feel your pain friend!

My icon is my repainted Hasbro figure. I like the sculpt on it, and am actually quite happy with my repaint, but...one can only imagine what the SS costuming will be like! I too await with great anticipation! (BTW, I hope he is not too tall...that is not a tall man...)

Anyway, your Anakin catches what he is supposed to be I think. If you aren't afraid of repainting eyes, try that too. Those eyes looking slightly up, or the saduku eyes as Gruff Old Bear calls them, really makes the Hayden character jump out. Seriously white eyewhites too. Think on it. I mean, it's only paint and you've gone this far. It can be redone to exaustion until correct. I know. It usually takes me a few passes.
But, the sculpt it all there. Some chin issues, but it's pretty darned on the money character wise.

Magnuz said:
Looks great. I originally was just gonna repaint those brown lips, cause i really didn't want to try and repaint the whole face and then somehow f' it up, cause im not fond of repainting faces. Alas though i didn't like the odd tan look of the skin and after i did the lips i wanted his skin tone more natural. So i gave it a shot, his larger scale helps compared to the 6 inch customs im accustomed to doing. He came out better than expected so i kinda lucked out on it working the way i wanted. The lips were the one thing that held me from getting him right away, after i saw other repaints on here, like the one by Les, i ran out and got him and new that either if i did it or had someone else do it, repainting his face would make him fine.

Yeah, I think that's why I wasn't happy with my lip repaint and why it looks almost lipstick-like now. It's the dark skin tone. The lips are supposed to be very pink...that's how Hayden's lips really are. But that "fake tan" look is a bad contrast to the lips unless you redo the skin as well.

Figuremaster Les said:
Oh, and Sith Lord, your shots look terrific!
I like the last one a bunch.

Thanks, Les!! I've already done a huge number of Photoshop composites with Anakin, but they were all with the original lips. At some point, I'll probably reshoot and recomposite all of them with the "new" Anakin, but that'll take me quite a while. If you're curious to see what they look like though, go here...

https://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06_9.htm

Back