Official repainted Anakin image thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hong is a brilliant painter no question. I'd love to achieve those kinds of results, but I'm not big on airbrushing. I much prefer doing it by hand, and I still think that with patience and practice, and thin enough paints, you can get the same results. The quest continues.

Customikey said:
Hong is a brilliant painter no question. I'd love to achieve those kinds of results, but I'm not big on airbrushing. I much prefer doing it by hand, and I still think that with patience and practice, and thin enough paints, you can get the same results. The quest continues.

Yeah, I agree... I'm just not big on airbrushing. I do think that if you work at it, you can do great things with a brush. I find new tricks everyday it seems, just messing around. I can't imagine the arsenal I will have once I've been doing this a little longer.

I've really only been painting figures for a couple of months and I've already made good stride. But man what I would give to be able to paint convincing eyes... :monkey2

Last edited:
DarkArtist81 said:
I've really only been painting figures for a couple of months and I've already made goos stride. But man what I would give to be able to paint convincing eyes... :monkey2

You're doing fantastic work already. I'm still learning eyes. It's the most fun and the most frustrating aspect of this part of the hobby. They make or break the figure. I'm now learning how to blend the outer and mid iris better to achieve more realism. And I've started adding a black/brown rim around the pupil, just to blend that in a bit more and give it some depth. Makes me grateful for figures like Luke with his big friggin eyes. Each eye was probably ten or fifteen different paint applications alone.

thanks Mikey... Funny enough, I actually just recently started trying to incorporate the same techniques for the eyes, darkening the outside of the pupil to make it pop a little and add a touch of realism. Though I too think that the white dot can work wonders if done right. :D

I'd also not have the white dot painted on. In essence it is freezing the personality of the eye saying that light is ONLY comming from this angle.

Looks much better having the gloss show the reflection.

I can't really tell from my Luke, but I'm guessing that Sideshow figures don't have glossy eyes. I would also prefer glossy over the dot.

Gruff Old Bear said:
Les shipped yesterday, so I figure I'll have it Friday, maybe Thursday. Waycross GA to Woodland Hills CA. Probably Friday. Couple surprises coming too. One to post under Historical/Military, Anakin for this forum, two others for the Horror forum -- the Bela I previewed, and one other...wait and see.

Let's hope all went well with his Dad's surgery today.

ditto on that

You should get it by Thurs Priority Mail if sent Monday. Anyway, can't wait to see some fig pics all put together...

Hello all, this is my 1st post here although I have been a long time lurker on these boards. I just wanted to share my attempt at a repaint with everyone. Hope you like it.

frontpost.jpg

sidepost.jpg

alcoa said:
Hello all, this is my 1st post here although I have been a long time lurker on these boards. I just wanted to share my attempt at a repaint with everyone. Hope you like it.

frontpost.jpg

sidepost.jpg

As long as you're repainting it, you should lighten the hair.

Here is my lip repaint... just if anyone did not already see it... I think I'll probably redo the entire head one day, but not until I have a lot more practice....

112818658O659244902.jpg

112860149O691374477.jpg

112860187O683774498.jpg

112818668O199266318.jpg

DarkArtist81 said:
Here is my lip repaint... just if anyone did not already see it... I think I'll probably redo the entire head one day, but not until I have a lot more practice....

112818658O659244902.jpg

112860149O691374477.jpg

112860187O683774498.jpg

112818668O199266318.jpg

I say all he needs now is to have his eye brows thinned a bit and he's just fine. Good work. :D

JustinLuck said:
I can't really tell from my Luke, but I'm guessing that Sideshow figures don't have glossy eyes. I would also prefer glossy over the dot.

This is what I mean. Sideshow DOES use gloss, but as you can see, the gloss doesn't read in all lighting. The dot, if done well, just adds so much life to the eyes when used in concert with a good glossing And i have yet to hear anyone complain about dot location on any figures. No one has said, " I would have prefered the dot on the left of his puil instead."
BUt that's just my opinion....:monkey1

That last repaint was wonderful! Vibrant skintones and good eyework. I just got a second Anakin off of ebay (for close to retail, too!!), so I should have a full-on repaint for you in a couple of weeks.

Hey Mike,

I never meant to say that I don't like the dot. I am just very curious what an eye looks like without it. Not saying it's better. Have any example pics of eyes without the dots?

JustinLuck said:
Hey Mike,

I never meant to say that I don't like the dot. I am just very curious what an eye looks like without it. Not saying it's better. Have any example pics of eyes without the dots?

I'm not passionate on the subject or anything, I just likes what likes. I'm sure Les's site has all the dotless eyes one could wish for. :D

Back