Official NECA Gremlins thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to see the Gremlins dio at Toy Fair today. Neca had an incredible booth. I took these shots on the show floor and then edited them to look a little more like a theater

0UM9WZB.jpg

JpIqFtk.jpg

That looks so good! Even if NECA released one seat from it I'd be happy. Surprisingly, those 3D glasses are 1/3 scale! I have a 1/3 Lugosi Dracula and they fit him perfectly:

Bela 3D 0001.JPG

Thought of a way to make standing Gremlins more stable. Put tiny magnets in the peg holes and have metal bases, they wouldn't fall then no matter what you did with them. For now though I've got some clear NECA ones on the way.

Picked up Stripe today, twice! Bought and paid for one I thought had good teeth, left with it, sat down moments later to look at it and noticed a big paint smear on one ear! Took it back and swapped it for the next best one they had. I've sorted his joints out and have left him to stand overnight. I really like him now, he looks so badass! Oh, yeah, I also bought a back up Gremlin, but he's staying boxed till I need him.

You know, the more of these I get, the more I come to realise that the paint apps on them are DIRE!! What I didn't show you before were the close up shots I took of some of them. Take a good look:

nFFxo3q.jpg

FcgWj4K.jpg

I know! And I said mine were good ones! Another thing I noticed was that, where NECA put the ear hinges, is actually more part of the head than it is the inner pale part of the ear. With more careful paint they could have hidden the joint and not had to worry about the paint rub people have complained about because it would have been the plastic colour anyway.

On reflection, these are among the worst production paint apps on figures I've seen. Repainting them is going to be a larger task that I anticipated, but, I'm going to bite the bullet as I want these Gremlins to be the critters I know and love. Good job in that respect that the Gamer comes out in May, which is when I plan to move, so they can be the first job I do when I get set up again.

Up until I got the TOT life size Gremlin a couple years ago and the Neca ones recently, the only gremlin that I ever owned was the LJN Stripe when I was a kid.

ljn stripe.jpg

For only around $25 bucks, I'm not gonna be complaining about these Neca ones a whole lot.:lol

We were easily pleased when we were kids!

Here's some pics of my Stripe:

GEk5z6i.jpg

d7YQ1Ll.jpg

5igpAND.jpg

He barely stood holding that. I've got him brandishing the saw blade till my stands arrive. They'll all do for now. After Pennywise, Freddy and Chucky were all so good I guess I was expecting more from them.

Received my Stripe today and I'm pretty happy! Though I have done quite a few mods already.

Still need to repaint the eyes and teeth.

2C196A03-B8F5-407C-AC05-105611978259.jpg

8C04EB3B-232B-4197-8033-5239A0C527DF.jpg

Looks good,

My Gremlins have been playing up, a LOT. Even when on stands they keep keeling over. When I come to repaint them, I think I'm going to glue the legs in the pose where they stand best. I don't particularly want to to any wacky poses with them, I just want them to stand and stay. I'll get there.

As long as your Stripe has good joints, he should stand holding the chainsaw, mine didn't seem to, so he's just holding the saw blade.

Nope, Stripe dies at the end of the first movie. Mohawk is spawned by Gizmo after the accident with the water in Billy's office.

I am going to completely repaint mine and may fill and glue the joints. Once you can get them to stay standing that's as good as it gets. As the Gremlins were either rod puppets or cable controlled half figures, it didn't occur to Chris Walas and his team that their design would never actually stand or walk as they never needed them to. You could get away with more in the 80's!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the writers for Gremlins 2 intended for Mohawk to be Stripe reincarnated.

They probably wanted to bring Stripe back, but, when Rick got the gig, he wanted to make the Gremlins different from what they had been before. They got Mohawk instead.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the writers for Gremlins 2 intended for Mohawk to be Stripe reincarnated.

Precisely - Joe Dante, the director of both films, has been clear that Mohawk is in fact Stripe reincarnated. Which I think is kind of neat since it brings a new depth to the narrative and the allegory of the dark and light that resides in Gizmo - his reproduction will always include Stripe/Mohawk - he is the yin to his yang.

Back