Official HT Rubber Issues List (4/9/12 update)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're comparing different rubbers. Car tires are composed of many different layers of things and they're designed to be sustain form against weather conditions.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people play around with these a bit and then settle them. The rubbers used in those are possibly cracking due to paint and whatever conditions they're stored in. There's a lot of varying factors to consider before you go and spew off Hot Toys makes etc etc crappy rubbers. I'm sure a lot of people still have their Leonidias in perfect condition. All those pictures posted above are like mad isolated and very few cases.

The oily abs... I don't know what the deal with that was, but they sure as hell didn't let the dyes dry off properly or the material just wasn't properly mixed well together.

And the thing about the Iron Man fading... red colors fade the fastest due to exposure to violet rays. I don't know the case for that guy or whatever, but any sort of red colored material will fade. If you've ever seen posters on windows of stores and stuff, over time they turn blue/green because the red fades. It's the same here, not really the rubber's fault.
It's more due to the formulation of the paint... While some of my Mk.4 and 6 have faded (I've 4 each, all with the relative same exposure)... none of the Mk. 5 have faded (& I've many units)

Here are all the pics I've found on this forum

Sheva
162959_10150103188560676_765915675_7608895_8236250_n.jpg

Sarah Connor
DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

Ed-209
e209.jpg

And Ironman (which is not a rubber issue but more a PVC/paint fade mystery issue)
4450781986_f434b3607c_b.jpg

And here some pics of Abe SApian which V-Raptor fixed
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2790241&postcount=2553

yikes!! :gah: i just bought a sarah conner figure, hope it doesn't have this problem.

The ED-209 is the strangest. Not like that part even had to move ...and why make it rubber there anyway?

The ED-209 is the strangest. Not like that part even had to move ...and why make it rubber there anyway?

Perhaps for the rubber feel... however HT used a rubber dome that's smaller than the slot to fit into, having a constant stretch to the rubber layer contributing to it breaking down faster..

Well, yesterday we were surprised by the arrival of the HT Keaton Batman(surprised because we thought we'd cancelled it;long story).Having noticed a few threads about the figure's rubber suit, I'm going to keep a careful eye on this guy. Any estimates on how long the deterioration usually takes, and what percentage of these guys go funky?...PS

Guy in the Chris Redfield BSAA thread experienced rubber deterioration recently.

:horror Just saw the pics of Chris BSAA. The cracking is at places where usually no stress would be applied to. It has the same body as Dutch, so could that figure be next then?

This thread is pretty much one or two rotten eggs spoiling the bunch.

Those pictures are still from the same 2-3 people out of thousands of owners who have the figures.

There's no telling how they treated their figures before posting up those pictures. The only real issues that were widespread to my knowledge were the oily batman suits.

This thread is pretty much one or two rotten eggs spoiling the bunch.

Those pictures are still from the same 2-3 people out of thousands of owners who have the figures.

There's no telling how they treated their figures before posting up those pictures. The only real issues that were widespread to my knowledge were the oily batman suits.

Not true. The DX issues are seen in ALL the relase waves, the Rubber bodies cracking, the ED-209, and the fading Ironman, have been reported by more than "2-3 people out of thousands"

I hope my Leonidas figure never deteriorates... What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have him in a detolf protected from UV light. Room temperature can go a bit warm and cold sometimes, nothing extreme though.

I hope my Leonidas figure never deteriorates... What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have him in a detolf protected from UV light. Room temperature can go a bit warm and cold sometimes, nothing extreme though.

LOL.. Me too!! Luckily, knock on wood, I have yet to read anyone that has had issue with the body. I pose it with the arms to his sides just in case.

The Dog Alien and Alien Warriors from Aliens also have a history of issues, both with the rubber and other aspects of their construction. I have a Warrior Alien and the Dog, and both have shown obvious signs of deterioration, even though I've always kept them enclosed in glass cabinets, away from sunlight, and almost never handle them. The paint on the Warrior Alien seems to be barely holding itself against the rubber and the Dog alien has small cracks on the elbows. I have an AvP Alien, which was released before the 2, that is flawless. My big chap alien also doesn't have any obvious sign of deterioration. The finish looks more matte now, as do all the others though.

I should just add that my Original Costume Batman, or MMS67, still looks perfect, almost 4 years after release. I do dust it every 2 weeks or so, but I do that routinely with the entire collection, not just the rubber-suited figures. The Demon Batman also looks fine, although it's not as old as the OC figure. Both do have a flatter, less glossy finish than they had when I took them out of the box, but nowhere near as horendous as some of the pics I've seen. I've also had a Marcus Wright figure for about an year in display and the rubber arms didn't show any sign of breaking apart, but people did complain about this one too, if I'm not mistaken.

LOL.. Me too!! Luckily, knock on wood, I have yet to read anyone that has had issue with the body. I pose it with the arms to his sides just in case.

"Hold the line. Stay with me. If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, and cracks on your rubber body, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

that quote is more fitting for this fig ......

"Hold the line. Stay with me. If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, and cracks on your rubber body, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

Well, the quote was from Gladiator, yes, but the word Elysium is from the Ancient Greeks, meaning open countryside or fields; the fields where the heroic warrior-dead dwell. And you will find there Leonidas' brave 300 as well as Maximus' Roman soldiers.

Besides, the Glad figure is not of rubber. :wink1:

All I can say to my Leonidas figure is: "Live long and prosper".

Well, the quote was from Gladiator, yes, but the word Elysium is from the Ancient Greeks, meaning open countryside or fields; the fields where the heroic warrior-dead dwell. And you will find there Leonidas' brave 300 as well as Maximus' Roman soldiers.

Besides, the Glad figure is not of rubber. :wink1:

I know i wa just beng a smart-ss. lol..

A couple of years back, I started a thread to ask how to care for your HT Rubber muscle bodies. Got very useful tips:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69569

As a Rambo/Sly fan, most of my Hot Toys have rubber on them. So far, I haven't encountered cracking & deterioration on them. Just follow these simple rules:

- Do not bend the joints if your muscle body has no exposed joints. If you want to take photos of different poses of your figure, just take out the head, stick it onto a different body where you can do more dynamic poses rather than forcing the issue with the earlier-release muscle body

- When on display/storage, keep the arms straight. Long durations of bended elbows eventually will tear the rubber of that elbow.

- Clean your figures when displayed. Dust accumulates on anything, and using a soft-bristled make-up brush will ensure you have minimal to no dust at all on your figures.

- If you can afford it, buy an air-tight display cabinet. That will prevent build up of anything if ever atmospheric chemistry messes up these figures (which Hot Toys have never released an official statement on how to care for these).

Good luck to everyone :wave

Back