Official Hasbro Ralph McQuarrie Figure Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully I'll get one soon too, I saw it at my local comic shop today but they're rip off artists, they wanted $20 for him, and they marked it specially because it's a McQ, their regular figs were $13, no way I'm spending that much in person.

Even $13 is BS, you can get them at Wal Mart for like $7 with tax :rotfl Well, that is if speculators and comic shops didn't buy them all up :monkey3

Even $13 is BS, you can get them at Wal Mart for like $7 with tax :rotfl Well, that is if speculators and comic shops didn't buy them all up :monkey3

Ya, I agree, I only spend that when it's the hard to come buy figures. It's a chain Comic Shop though, almost like a Spencer's Gifts kinda place, actually, they sell mainly CDs DVD's and toys, their comic rack is a bookshelf in a corner lol.

My wife found the Snowtrooper and Vader at Kohl's for $7 a piece. I would have never thought to check there.

I've found some of the hard to find figures at Wal Greens and other drug stores... sometimes months after they were released.

My wife found the Snowtrooper and Vader at Kohl's for $7 a piece. I would have never thought to check there.

Kohls around these parts are great for SW though the price tag can be rough sometimes...

I check Kohl's and Walgreens and never have any luck there wither, though I think at Walgreens they want $8 per figure so I don't mind looking elsewhere.

I received my McQ Vader from Hasbrotoyshop.com, man they completely suck at packing, Vader is completely smashed in, box and other figures are pristine, but they decided to sit on that figure before boxing. :mad:

That sucks screaming, I've never had a bad package from HTS and I've gotten a dozen or so things through them.

I got my ship notice today for Snowtrooper, so now to hunt down Han and await the Rebel.

So that makes the tally:

1- Stormtrooper
2- Boba Fett
3- Chewbacca
4- Luke Skywalker
5- C-3PO & R2-D2
6- Yoda and Obi-Wan
7- Darth Vader
8- Princess Leia
9- Snow Trooper
10- Han Solo
11- Rebel Trooper

I don't think anyone's unaccounted for in the list, so if there's 12, what's the 12th figure? Or is it Concept Grievous even though he's not McQuarrie.

I don't think anyone's unaccounted for in the list, so if there's 12, what's the 12th figure? Or is it Concept Grievous even though he's not McQuarrie.

I hope that's it. There's no reason to drag this line on.

The only other Hasbro's I picked up were Animated Fett and General McQuarrie. Might as well get a figure of the actual guy, right?

The concept rebel trooper is listed at Hasbro.com but isn't available for order.

Yep those are the ones I bought as well... maybe the concept Grievous is the 12th figure. Eitherway that ones a pass for me.

Ugh, I just got Leia Starkiller today and they crammed the package into a shipping box that's just too small. I had to cut the shipping box away just so there wasn't any more damage. :mad:

So if you're ordering Star Wars figures from them, make sure to order two or more at a time.

Ugh, I just got Leia Starkiller today and they crammed the package into a shipping box that's just too small. I had to cut the shipping box away just so there wasn't any more damage. :mad:

So if you're ordering Star Wars figures from them, make sure to order two or more at a time.

That sucks. My Vader came in a nice big box with plenty of air packs to protect him. I did order two snowtroopers, and one of the cards is flexed, no crease, due to them just tossing them in the box together. Go figure.

Here's an interview with Ralph from ToyFare.

Chances are, you’re a Ralph McQuarrie fan without even knowing it. The former NASA artist created hundreds of iconic vehicle and character designs for the original Star Wars trilogy, then went on to do work across the sci-fi diaspora, from Star Trek to Close Encounters of the Third Kind to Batteries Not Included. With Hasbro in the midst of their Ralph McQuarrie Signature Series based on his artwork, we asked him what he thinks of all of this adulation three decades after the fact.

ToyFare: Star Wars celebrated its 30th anniversary this year—how does it feel to see your old concept artwork realized in three dimensions?

McQuarrie: I can't believe that after 30 years this thing is still cooking along so hot. I was expecting that maybe my designs would make it to the movie, but never more than that. I never would have expected to see them evolve into a series of action figures.

Well, the fans seem to love your designs almost as much as the movies—after all, your Stormtrooper was the Fan Choice figure in 2002.

That was my favorite character. The drawings that I did for the Stormtrooper were made very quickly. I hit on one that I thought was the right look right away, and it's always been my favorite drawing.

How involved were you with Hasbro’s McQuarrie series? Did you participate in the development?

Hasbro showed me what they were doing, and what I saw was so fantastically good, I trusted them without any questions. During the making of the films, I wasn't asked to supervise the design of the original costumes—the costume designers came up with different things that worked for the film.

Do you have a favorite figure from the line?

The Boba Fett is really a masterpiece.

Hasbro’s also reproduced some of your Lucasfilm Christmas card paintings, haven’t they?

I thought those were charming. I had a lot of fun doing the Christmas cards. My favorite piece of Christmas art was the Christmas in the Stars music album. In that, the robots have taken over the chores of making toys in Santa's workshop.

It’s a shame they never made a toy of that one. Is there any art you’ve done that you wish had been used in the movies?

There was a big spider I created for Dagobah during the making of The Empire Strikes Back. I would have liked to have seen that in the film, although I'm not sure what it would have done.

Aside from Star Wars, what film or television work are you most proud of?

E.T.'s spaceship. They created the most marvelous model you can imagine, in miniature. Every detail that I had designed was there. And the thing worked! All the little lights popped out and everything—it was amazing. The model makers at ILM are masters.

How’d you come up with the look of the ship?

Spielberg and I had a brief meeting and he said, “Make it look like Dr. Seuss did it—a really off-the-wall design.” I did about six designs, he picked the one that was my favorite, and it worked perfectly on film.

What’s your favorite project you’ve worked on?

Star Wars. I was really excited about it. Not that I wasn't excited about all the things I worked on, but it was Star Wars that got me going.

Truly a visionary. Lucas had the idea but it's McQuarrie that developed to look of the Star Wars universe that we feel at home in. Sometimes I wonder what things would have looked like if RM wasn't involved. :confused:

Its to bad there isn't a video of the McQuarrie panel fro CIV. Ralph wasn't there due to his health but John (who did the Art of Ralph McQuarrie book) did a fantastic job. It amazing how much of the SW universe was influenced by Ralph.

No one's mentioned these in a while. I still haven't found Starkiller, Han or the Rebel Trooper. These have been the hardest ones for me to find so far. Anyone else had any luck recently?

I'm down to just the Han and Rebel Trooper, probably just going to have to eBay them, I haven't even seen Han on Hasbro's store site, Trooper as coming soon but no Han.

Back