NOT GOOD: New Line's Bob Shaye on PJ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think having PJ as a producer would be a good move as long as he's really involved and not just there for show. But I couldn't imagine him placing his name on a film as a Producer if he weren't intimately involved in it.

I think it could be a good fit, and I'd be much more confident about seeing it knowing that there is good carry-over from the LOTR.

I'm still really hoping Sam Raimi doesn't do it. I like him a lot as a director, but if he directed The Hobbit instead of PJ, I just have the feeling I'd start resenting him for it (yep, I know it's irrational), and I'd much rather keep liking him. PJ producing would be something at least, but I don't think it would be enough for me personally.

I'm also looking forward to Stardust, though. :)

I don't understand why New Line would be on baord for him to produce and perhaps get paid even more money than if he just served directorial duties...That doesn't make any sense.
Producers usually get a huge end of the profits...Is this just to have good PR and WETA giving it their all?
This is strange.

The website that reported the Raimi as director, PJ as producer didn't have a source, it's just one reporter speculating. I don't think much to that report at all.

Basically I think what is happening is: New Line have had a series of dreadful films recently, and not releasing as many as they would like, Hairspray being the only recent success. There are alot of changes going on at the company and they're increasingly getting into the situation they were in before they took on lotr. New Line has a history of taking a risk and they knew how well it worked out with lotr, so I'll bet that they're thinking they'll have a guaranteed hit if the Hobbit is done with PJ.....and I think the fans can have a big say in whether he's producer or director......PJ's letter to theonering.net was to show whose side the fans are on. New Line need money, they need a hit. The Hobbit with PJ would be just that. As they say, money talks, and in New Line's case, can sort out any personal quabble :)

The website that reported the Raimi as director, PJ as producer didn't have a source, it's just one reporter speculating. I don't think much to that report at all.

Basically I think what is happening is: New Line have had a series of dreadful films recently, and not releasing as many as they would like, Hairspray being the only recent success. There are alot of changes going on at the company and they're increasingly getting into the situation they were in before they took on lotr. New Line has a history of taking a risk and they knew how well it worked out with lotr, so I'll bet that they're thinking they'll have a guaranteed hit if the Hobbit is done with PJ.....and I think the fans can have a big say in whether he's producer or director......PJ's letter to theonering.net was to show whose side the fans are on. New Line need money, they need a hit. The Hobbit with PJ would be just that. As they say, money talks, and in New Line's case, can sort out any personal quabble :)

No quarter!!!:rock :rock :rock

I hope if/when they do make it, that the 2 part movie idea wins out. I would love to see the wizards fighting the witcking of angmar. :rock

i heard that PJ will only do this movie if rory posts the home video of frodo defiling him with his mouth. thats just rumor but i think it is spot on.

i heard that PJ will only do this movie if rory posts the home video of frodo defiling him with his mouth. thats just rumor but i think it is spot on.

I heard PJ will only make it if he gets to rape dekdave's childhood first.:lol

New Line has to look at the big picture. The fans and all their money, wants PJ, so NL should do whats sensible. If they have him make the film it will fit in with the rest, they will make huge profits on the box office and licensing. Another whole opportunity to rip off the people involved in the film.

Look like MGM is having trouble raising funds. This from the Financial Times.

Credit crunch hits $1bn MGM finance plan
By Matthew Garrahan in Los Angeles and James Politi in New York

Published: August 15 2007 22:02 | Last updated: August 15 2007 22:02

The credit crunch shaking world markets has hit Hollywood after Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank, which were trying to raise up to $1bn to finance films for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, withdrew their commitment to underwrite the deal. Bringing in private equity, hedge fund and institutional investors to fund “slates” of several films has become a popular way for Hollywood studios to spread the risk attached to production.

But with credit markets tightening, the attempt by the banks to raise $700m-$1bn for MGM productions and co-productions has been blown off-course, according to people close to the situation.

The financing would have provided funds for films including The Hobbit, an MGM co-production with New Line Entertainment, and the fourth instalment in the Terminator franchise. It is also likely that funds would have gone towards the next James Bond film, an MGM co-production with Sony.

Goldman declined to comment and Deutsche did not return calls. The financing has not been abandoned, however, with the banks believed to have moved from an underwriting commitment to a “best efforts” commitment to complete the financing.

But the underwriting withdrawal amid a broader credit crunch means the deal will be delayed. It is unclear when it will be revived.

MGM also declined to comment. However, the studio is understood to be relaxed about the delay because none of the films in line to receive funds from the financing is due to start production imminently.

MGM was sold to Texas Pacific Group, Providence Equity Partners, Sony and Comcast in 2004. The four shareholders bought the studio and its 4,000-title library from Kirk Kerkorian for $4.8bn.

Since the sale, MGM, under CEO Harry Sloan, has moved to a new business model, streamlining its operations and beefing up its distribution business, where it has deals with independent producers including The Weinstein Company. Mr Sloan has also revived the United Artists studio label, which is controlled by MGM, bringing in Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner, the film star’s production partner, to run the division. UA is close to securing $500m financing for its production slate. The deal is being arranged by Merrill Lynch.

Meanwhile, MGM is keen to boost its film library by producing a limited number of “tent-pole” movies each year. With the average cost of a Hollywood film close to $100m, the studio is keen to tap other sources for production funds.

Other studios, such as Warner Bros Entertainment and 20th Century Fox, have raised funds from private equity and hedge fund investors. More than $12bn has been committed to film financing projects in the last year, with investors attracted by deals that allow them to share in the success of films that perform well at the box office.

Although I have to believe that if the deal was only to raise money earmarked directly for THE HOBBIT movie they could raise $150 mil very quickly.

Back